Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 24 2013, 08:00 AM   #16
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: The Animated Series

I don't think there would be enough interest to justify a TAS only board. I think a lot less people have seen them than the other series. I don't think they've been seen here at the End of the Universe on TV much past there original run decades ago. TOS has been barely seen here in the past decade.
I bought the boxset for $88 and I think they're now $20. My child likes them and at $20 for 20 odd TOS/TAS stories thats pretty good value for money. Cheaper than buying the novelisations.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 03:00 PM   #17
jpv2000
Captain

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
DoctorZ wrote: View Post
I've never watched it aside from a couple of episodes as a kid. However, I just bought the entire series on DVD, so I plan on finally getting it watched.
I've always enjoyed it and I hope you will too.

Happy watching!
Same here. I have the boxed set and still watch them all every year or so.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 01:44 AM   #18
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post

Depends on the character. I daresay Uhura was given more to do in TAS than she was in TOS. Sulu also got to be pretty prominent.
Yeah, I just rewatched "The Slaver Weapon" last night and had forgotten that the entire episode was done with only Spock, Sulu, Uhura, and the Kzinti.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 02:10 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
Yeah, I just rewatched "The Slaver Weapon" last night and had forgotten that the entire episode was done with only Spock, Sulu, Uhura, and the Kzinti.
Which is because it was a very faithful adaptation of Larry Niven's Known Space novella "The Soft Weapon," whose main characters were Nessus the Pierson's Puppeteer and the human couple Jason and Anne Marie Papandreou.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 06:32 PM   #20
Lucky
Commander

I recently watched the series for the first time on Netflix and was pretty impressed with it. A lot of the episodes were really entertaining, and I wasn't really put off by the animation at all. Some of the episodes I really loved were "Yesteryear," "The Magicks of Megas-tu," "The Time Trap," "The Slaver Weapon," and "The Counter-Clock Incident."
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Lucky wrote: View Post
I recently watched the series for the first time on Netflix and was pretty impressed with it. A lot of the episodes were really entertaining, and I wasn't really put off by the animation at all. Some of the episodes I really loved were "Yesteryear," "The Magicks of Megas-tu," "The Time Trap," "The Slaver Weapon," and "The Counter-Clock Incident."
Agree. Good episodes.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Nine of Four
Commander

Yesteryear is my personal favorite.

-
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:28 PM   #23
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Just rewatched "The Counter-Clock Incident," the final episode, and noticed that the very last line of dialogue made a great epitaph for the whole Animated Series:

"It gave all of us a second life."

Certainly better than the equally-appropriate epitaph for TOS:

"If only..."

Last edited by BoredShipCapt'n; September 8 2013 at 03:49 PM.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:18 PM   #24
JoeD80
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
They really did seem to try and present good stories, but with perhaps 22 minutes to work with, there wasn't a lot they could do for characterization.
Depends on the character. I daresay Uhura was given more to do in TAS than she was in TOS. Sulu also got to be pretty prominent.
Agreed, Christopher. By necessity they had to have a greater focus on the narrative of the episodes because they had much less screen time to tell their stories than they did in TOS, but I do think there are some sections of fandom which tend to downplay just how well TAS serviced the main characters, particularly the ones outside the 'big three'. It did a great deal more with the characters than some would have us believe.
I think it was David Gerrold referring to "Bem" who said that they really didn't need to cut anything out of his live-action script to fit the 22 minute running time. You can put a lot of action and characterization in to an animated show.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 01:04 AM   #25
jpv2000
Captain

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
Agreed, Christopher. By necessity they had to have a greater focus on the narrative of the episodes because they had much less screen time to tell their stories than they did in TOS, but I do think there are some sections of fandom which tend to downplay just how well TAS serviced the main characters, particularly the ones outside the 'big three'. It did a great deal more with the characters than some would have us believe.
I think it was David Gerrold referring to "Bem" who said that they really didn't need to cut anything out of his live-action script to fit the 22 minute running time. You can put a lot of action and characterization in to an animated show.
Indeed you can and they did a good job of doing so.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote