Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Driving?
I enjoy driving. For me, driving is a pleasurable activity in its own right. 32 56.14%
I don't mind driving, but I'd just as soon let someone else drive or use public transportation. 13 22.81%
I generally dislike driving and do so only when no practical alternative transporation is available. 5 8.77%
I don't drive at all, don't need to, and don't want to. 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10 2013, 09:40 PM   #1
scotpens
Vice Admiral

How Do You Feel About Driving?

A current thread on the Science and Technology forum veered off into a discussion about the possibilities -- and limitations -- of automated, self-driving cars. Which got me to thinking: How do you people feel about driving?

Maybe it's because I'm a born-and-bred Southern Californian, but I actually like driving. I enjoy slipping behind the wheel and skillfully controlling and maneuvering a vehicle in traffic, or cruising along the 105 Freeway where traffic is usually light.

So, which of the four poll options comes closest to your thoughts on driving in general?
Old September 10 2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: How Do You Feel About Driving?

driving's fun around here. loads of wiggley roads to drive. well at least it was when i had a vehicle.

i'd probably like it less if i had to do a lot of motorway miles or lived in a big city.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I don't drive and don't have any intentions to ever learn. I could not afford to buy and run a car. If I can't get somewhere by bus or taxi, train or tram, plane or ferry, or on foot its not worth going to IMO.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I like driving. In the right conditions, it can be a lot of fun.

A panoramic road up the sunny hills, a trip along the coast, or even zipping around in the traffic.

For everyday commutes, I prefer to use public transport, as it's cheaper and less tiring. But for my own leisure time, driving is more enjoyable.
Old September 10 2013, 10:54 PM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love driving. Sometimes I just get in the car and drive around with no destination in mind.
Old September 10 2013, 11:01 PM   #6
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I am car free by choice. I hate driving. When I started learning how to drive I remember the thought that went through my head at the time was, "this activity is everything I'm really really bad at rolled into one". I can drive, but I don't intend to ever live in a place where I need to. I enjoy public transport and it's extensive in my city.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:01 PM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral

Neither of those options are suitable for me

Sometimes I don't mind driving, other days I do. Now that I'm a driver I prefer to be in control rather than a passanger. And there is no other practical method of transportation where I live. You simply have to drive to get around, Public transport is virtually non-existant and at totally unsuitable times.

So I'll take the fifth option. I have no choice but to drive whether or not I like it.

And I used to be a field employee so did a I lot of driving. Sure a nice warm sunny day with ideal driving conditions in a picturesque setting driving can be highly enjoyable. Stuck crawling along in a traffic jam in awful weather coniditons not so much. Worst weather to drive in is snow , it's been my experaince a fair few people have no idea how to drive in snow.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:03 PM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Neither of those options are suitable for me

Sometimes I don't mind driving, other days I do. Now that I'm a driver I prefer to be in control rather than a passanger. And there is no other practical method of transportation where I live. You simply have to drive to get around, Public transport is virtually non-existant and at totally unsuitable times.

So I'll take the fifth option. I have no choice but to drive whether or not I like it.
Public transportation is bad around here, too. We have busses that run during the day, but if you have to get anywhere after 9pm, you're screwed. And they don't run on Sundays at all.
Old September 10 2013, 11:16 PM   #9
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I like driving very much because it provides me with the flexibility i want.

Germany's public transportation is pretty good, especially in cities but my company is located in a commercial district a bit ouf of town so there is only one bus line that drives every 20 minutes or so up until late evening where it's driving even less.

So you miss one of the scheduled stops and you have to wait at least 20 minutes..by car i'm halfway home in 20 minutes.

Maintaining and operating a car costs me more than double what it would cost me to buy a monthly ticket for public transportation but it is well worth the flexibility to be able to come and go according to your timetable and not someone else's.
Old September 10 2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Relayer1
Commodore

Never bothered to learn. It holds no interest for me.

I'm 50 now, so not likely to change my mind...
Old September 10 2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Never bothered to learn. It holds no interest for me.

I'm 50 now, so not likely to change my mind...
My mother learnt to drive at 72 and my eldest sister, who is 58, only learnt to drive this year. However, my Mum decided to learn after my father became too ill to drive, and my sister got hers after her husband died so they were used to being driven around by someone else.

Like you I have no interest at all and I won't change my mind either.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:44 PM   #12
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I don't mind driving, and have to do it a lot, but I prefer to be a passenger. Especially so in the winter months where I would rather be absolutely anywhere but behind the wheel of a car.
Old September 10 2013, 11:51 PM   #13
SeerSGB
Admiral

If I lived anywhere where mass transit was a viable option, I'd dump my license in a heartbeat. I don't like driving, hate being on the road, and generally feel like the act itself (being behind the wheel) is a waste of time. But living in rural TN, it's a necessary evil.
Old September 10 2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

I love driving. I've always lived places where it would be pretty hard to get around well without a car.

From where I live NE Ohio you can take all two lane county back roads to get to my mothers home(columbus). It's a great run. Hilly with long sweepers. Great for the 2-3/3-2 shifts. Keeping her (on the cam). Great fun.
Old September 11 2013, 12:00 AM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I love driving. I love the control and freedom it gives me. People talk all of the time about subways, buses and other forms of public transportation and I shrug. If the only way I had to get from home to work and back was to plan my day around schedules and to sit next to some woman who smells like burned ocra yell into her phone I'd probably go nuts.

My car is sitting right outside. I can go to it right now and drive to anywhere I want, it's fifty feet away. THAT'S freeing and isn't something I can get from a bus.