RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,714
Posts: 5,432,178
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 553
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 10 2013, 07:12 PM   #61
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Technological Stagnation

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
Possibly true. Don't underestimate computers, though. They're getting pretty good at stuff like that.
i'd imagine accidents with driverless cars will happen when the car fails to anticipate how irrational us humans can be sometimes - especially while driving.
The theory is they could compensate for any lack of anticipation with a faster reaction time.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:23 PM   #62
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Technological Stagnation

Strange concidence, this story is running today:

Financial Times

When Mercedes-Benz launched its S-Class saloon at a Hamburg airfield in May, the carmaker pulled out all the stops, booking singer Alicia Keys to serenade the new luxury vehicle. But the real show-stopper was the rich palette of automated driving functions that the Stuttgart-based carmaker packed into its flagship model.


The S-Class combines an onboard stereo camera with long, medium and short-range radar that allows the vehicle to brake autonomously if a pedestrian suddenly steps into the road as well as correct an attempt to change lane if it is already occupied.
On the motorway, the vehicle automatically positions itself in the centre of the lane. Adaptive cruise control at speeds of up to 200kph ensures it maintains a constant distance from the vehicle in front. In a slow-moving traffic jam situation, the vehicle can in effect drive by itself.
Ralf Herrtwich, director of driver assistance and chassis systems at Mercedes-Benz, says the networking of cameras, sensors, actuators, data-processing and back-up systems required to deliver autonomous driving is of “almost mind-boggling complexity”. Still, the marque’s owner Daimler aims to be the first to introduce other autonomous functions in series production vehicles this decade.
Indeed, self-driving cars, long a staple of science fiction movies, are step by step becoming science fact and autonomous driving technologies will be very much in evidence when the Frankfurt motor show commences on Tuesday.
Ralf Cramer, board member at Continental, the German parts supplier, explains: “Autonomous driving will come about from a base of advanced driving assistance systems. Technically, we can do it already today [in testing and development] but if we put all this technology into a production car, the vehicle would be too expensive.”
Some of these systems are already finding their way into non-premium vehicles. The new Ford Focus can parallel park itself without the driver touching the wheel and the Ford S-Max Concept, to be shown in Frankfurt, includes perpendicular parking capability and automatic braking if a collision with a pedestrian is imminent.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:42 PM   #63
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Technological Stagnation

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The concept of automated cars isn't feasable. On highways, perhaps. In cities, never.

There will ALWAYS be situations a computer cannot cope with, and the human needs to take over. But that human will be playing chess or masturbating inside his car in the meantime, his situational awareness is gone. That problem cannot be solved and that's why it will not work.
Complete nonsense.

Please provide examples of problems a computer could not respond to.
Nevermind, any examples I give would be complete nonsense to you as well.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:56 PM   #64
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Technological Stagnation

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I am however a little disappointed that technologies like the driverless car is so slow to market despite the fact we have the technology to implement them.
For those who can't afford a car or just don't like driving, what's needed is better, more flexible public transportation. Like "people mover" rail systems that use small, driverless, computer-directed pods instead of trams or trains.

Personally, I find the idea of a car that drives itself about as appealing as swallowing food pills instead of eating actual food.

So, when do I get my robot butler?
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:56 PM   #65
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Technological Stagnation

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The concept of automated cars isn't feasable. On highways, perhaps. In cities, never.

There will ALWAYS be situations a computer cannot cope with, and the human needs to take over. But that human will be playing chess or masturbating inside his car in the meantime, his situational awareness is gone. That problem cannot be solved and that's why it will not work.
Complete nonsense.

Please provide examples of problems a computer could not respond to.
Nevermind, any examples I give would be complete nonsense to you as well.
I'll take that as you conceding the point.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:11 PM   #66
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Technological Stagnation

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The concept of automated cars isn't feasable. On highways, perhaps. In cities, never.

There will ALWAYS be situations a computer cannot cope with, and the human needs to take over. But that human will be playing chess or masturbating inside his car in the meantime, his situational awareness is gone. That problem cannot be solved and that's why it will not work.
Complete nonsense.

Please provide examples of problems a computer could not respond to.
A hijacking. A toxic spill. Any situation where the best thing to do is put the pedal to the metal and get out of there. Actually it's not that the computer couldn't respond, but I suspect it would respond wrong.

Everyone's been saying that in an emergency, the car would just pull over to the side and brake. Is it going to understand that there are times when that's MORE dangerous?
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:24 PM   #67
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Technological Stagnation

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The concept of automated cars isn't feasable. On highways, perhaps. In cities, never.

There will ALWAYS be situations a computer cannot cope with, and the human needs to take over. But that human will be playing chess or masturbating inside his car in the meantime, his situational awareness is gone. That problem cannot be solved and that's why it will not work.
Complete nonsense.

Please provide examples of problems a computer could not respond to.
A hijacking. A toxic spill. Any situation where the best thing to do is put the pedal to the metal and get out of there. Actually it's not that the computer couldn't respond, but I suspect it would respond wrong.

Everyone's been saying that in an emergency, the car would just pull over to the side and brake. Is it going to understand that there are times when that's MORE dangerous?
I don't think anyone is proposing a system that can't be overridden.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:29 PM   #68
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Technological Stagnation

Yeah, if a driver slams on the gas pedal, the system should take that as "get the hell out of here" command.

A computer's not going to be able to handle every emergency, but it's going to do a better job of handling most emergencies than a human ever could. The emergencies where it's likely to fail are ones that humans are at least as bad at avoiding, if not worse. Poor traction situations are probably the best example of just how bad humans are at coping with dangerous conditions.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:47 PM   #69
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Technological Stagnation

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
A computer's not going to be able to handle every emergency, but it's going to do a better job of handling most emergencies than a human ever could. The emergencies where it's likely to fail are ones that humans are at least as bad at avoiding, if not worse. Poor traction situations are probably the best example of just how bad humans are at coping with dangerous conditions.
Do you think that driverless car technology would be able to do a better job in such situtaions as icy roads than a human can? I suppose that's when the variables [and programming the car in such situations] becomes very complicated.

For example sometimes when driving in an icy situation and when the car starts to slip in one directions the solution is to counter steer as opposed to steer in the direciton of the movement of the vehicle.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:52 PM   #70
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Technological Stagnation

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Please provide examples of problems a computer could not respond to.
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
A computer's not going to be able to handle every emergency
Um.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
but it's going to do a better job of handling most emergencies than a human ever could. Poor traction situations are probably the best example of just how bad humans are at coping with dangerous conditions
Lindley wrote: View Post
I don't think anyone is proposing a system that can't be overridden.
No argument with either point. But it's hard to know where to draw the line between where a machine should be responsible and where a human must be. I'd hate for that line to be drawn by the lawyers.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:53 PM   #71
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Technological Stagnation

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Complete nonsense.

Please provide examples of problems a computer could not respond to.
Nevermind, any examples I give would be complete nonsense to you as well.
I'll take that as you conceding the point.
Certainly not, and see Silvercrest's post pointing out your contradicting yourself.


Silvercrest wrote: View Post
No argument with either point. But it's hard to know where to draw the line between where a machine should be responsible and where a human must be. I'd hate for that line to be drawn by the lawyers.
That's another point. Who is responsible when a car on autopilot runs over a kid that suddenly appeared between two parking cars?

Despite Maxwell's nonsense talk and Lindley's reaction time argument, there are many situations that cannot be avoided solely by faster reaction times. The driver needs foresight/anticipation. An AI that advanced is far away. And the idea that the computer should interpret a slam on the gas pedal as get the hell out of here command is nonsense as well, since there have been many cases where drivers hit the wrong pedal in panic. So the AI has also to properly interpret what the driver meant in a dangerous situation? Not feasible. You cannot remove the human element, and you cannot make sure that you catch all human errors. You can enhance safety with driver assistance systems, but that's all. You will never be able to remove the driver's responsibility.

Last edited by JarodRussell; September 10 2013 at 09:07 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:09 PM   #72
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Technological Stagnation

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The side of caution would be not to trust humans to operate fast-moving wheeled death machines in the first place.
Then perhaps we shouldn't trust humans to operate kitchen appliances that can reach temperatures of 500+ degrees and potentially cause serious burns or start fires. Or maybe people shouldn't be allowed to use power tools that can possibly injure, cripple and maim.

Henry Ford let the genie out of the bottle more than 100 years ago. It ain't going back in.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:13 PM   #73
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Technological Stagnation

There was a NY Times article about that. If cars were invented today, and you told them how many people got killed in traffic accidents, and how much pollution it caused, and all other side effects, people would tell you to fuck off.

Cars are a perfect example of the frog in the boiling water effect. We slowly got used to TENS OF THOUSANDS of deaths per year in each country by car accidents. We are absolutely okay with that, because it slowly developed over 100 years.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:21 PM   #74
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Technological Stagnation

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Despite Maxwell's nonsense talk and Lindley's reaction time argument, there are many situations that cannot be avoided solely by faster reaction times. The driver needs foresight/anticipation. An AI that advanced is far away. And the idea that the computer should interpret a slam on the gas pedal as get the hell out of here command is nonsense as well, since there have been many cases where drivers hit the wrong pedal in panic. So the AI has also to properly interpret what the driver meant in a dangerous situation? Not feasible. You cannot remove the human element, and you cannot make sure that you catch all human errors. You can enhance safety with driver assistance systems, but that's all. You will never be able to remove the driver's responsibility.
You aren't impressed with the technology that you can get in a 2014 Mercedes S class? The car - for all intensive purposes - drives itself. And that tech is available today provided you have ~$92,000 to lay down on a new car.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:25 PM   #75
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Technological Stagnation

DarthTom wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Despite Maxwell's nonsense talk and Lindley's reaction time argument, there are many situations that cannot be avoided solely by faster reaction times. The driver needs foresight/anticipation. An AI that advanced is far away. And the idea that the computer should interpret a slam on the gas pedal as get the hell out of here command is nonsense as well, since there have been many cases where drivers hit the wrong pedal in panic. So the AI has also to properly interpret what the driver meant in a dangerous situation? Not feasible. You cannot remove the human element, and you cannot make sure that you catch all human errors. You can enhance safety with driver assistance systems, but that's all. You will never be able to remove the driver's responsibility.
You aren't impressed with the technology that you can get in a 2014 Mercedes S class? The car - for all intensive purposes - drives itself. And that tech is available today provided you have ~$92,000 to lay down on a new car.
Oh, I am impressed. But it doesn't drive itself. In a slow moving traffic jam situation, yeah. That's it. And a few assistance systems for parking, active cruise control, and pedestrian warning, and stuff. But those are not autonomous, you certainly can't let the car handle it all on its own.

Oh boy, I hope nobody buys these cars and just sits back and relaxes. Like those idiots who blindly listen to their navigation system and drive over the bridge that doesn't exist.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.