RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,406
Posts: 5,506,005
Members: 25,128
Currently online: 629
Newest member: Deidesheim

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 10 2013, 10:41 AM   #241
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

The article itself states it as well.

Fans tend to view the original series through lenses colored by the subsequent film series and the later TV programs, especially Star Trek: The Next Generation, where the films had a higher quality of writing and attention to character arcs. Likewise, the later TV shows were much more in line with creator Gene Roddenberry's intentions to create a smarter sort of sci-fi show that touched on moral issues and social themes every week. But the original series was quite different from these later incarnations, and was forced to forgo many of Roddenberry's preferences and ideas in favor of studio demands for an action-adventure Western in space.
and

We already got 10 Star Trek movies that focused more on the idealized conception of the original series. Those films featured a more mature, experienced versions of the crew, and they faced their adventures in a more mature, experienced manner. The films reflected more of Roddenberry's original hopes for what the series could have been, and helped popularize the franchise so that Star Trek: The Next Generation could flourish and fully realize Roddenberry's intentions. The previous films, in other words, all moved beyond the original series.
And I agree with that.

What I don't agree with is the notion that you somehow can't criticize the new films for exactly that reason, because "they are not supposed to be like that".
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:20 AM   #242
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Orci strikes back

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
Or maybe we can just like what we like (and I like both the originals and the remake), and not piss on other people's cheerios.

Just a thought.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:45 AM   #243
Yorkshire Niner
Captain
 
Yorkshire Niner's Avatar
 
Location: Sheffield, England
Re: Orci strikes back

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
Or maybe we can just like what we like (and I like both the originals and the remake), and not piss on other people's cheerios.

Just a thought.
Hippy.
__________________
Klingon proverb: Only a fool fights in a burning house
Yorkshire Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:53 AM   #244
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Orci strikes back

I can feel your anger. Good. Let the hate flow through you.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:55 AM   #245
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci strikes back



__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:18 PM   #246
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci strikes back

I'm quoting from the article:

Fans tend to view the original series through lenses colored by the subsequent film series and the later TV programs, especially Star Trek: The Next Generation, where the films had a higher quality of writing and attention to character arcs.
I totally disagree.

I don't see TOS and dismiss its shortcomings because of the 'great' writing and brilliant characters arcs of TNG. Because TNG has more of GRs 'vision'. Wasn't GR only really involved in Season 1 and 2 of TNG. Did the reviewer ever see Season 1 and 2 of TNG? Perhaps he is seeing the great writing and character arcs of TNG through his own rose coloured glasses.

And:

Likewise, the later TV shows were much more in line with creator Gene Roddenberry's intentions to create a smarter sort of sci-fi show that touched on moral issues and social themes every week
Yes TOS was just shoot-em-ups every week. No social commentary or moral issues ever came up.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:23 PM   #247
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Rhovanion
Re: Orci strikes back

J. Allen wrote: View Post
By which time self sighed and said, "So what you're saying is they forgot about all the stupid shit from the series and the movies that completely and utterly belied any sense of intellectualism and reason and instead groped for a cheap laugh or dramatic sting filled with overwrought dialogue and plodding storyline all in the name of self serving, self important, high concept dross."

"That would be the gist of it, yes," I replied.

Self smiled, "so why are we giving a fuck?"
__________________
Whatever happens on earth, that up there, that's the endgame.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:48 PM   #248
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Orci strikes back

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
You've just completely made your criteria irrelevant. This is a TOS remake, so you can't consider TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT, because they aren't TOS and therefore not what the movies are attempting to capture.

Would you criticize a Vietnam War movie, for not showing the March To Baghdad, complete with such US Domination the enemy soldiers were laying down their arms and surrendering with barely a fight, but, instead showed no US domination, and hundreds of US Soldiers dying to gain to advance the front line only 10 feet (Or having to fall back and still losing hundreds of soldiers). Or would you criticize this Vietnam War movie, for not using patriot missiles? Brining in TNG Era TV show criteria to judge a TOS remake by is no different.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; September 10 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:59 PM   #249
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Orci strikes back

I see no problem in the tone & feel of the films. Problem is the horrible script and that they resort to rehashing old stuff, down to rehashing entire scenes.

ST09 greatest problem was the fuckload of contrivances that moved the plot forward, and the lack of character development. Ironically, STD acknowledges the latter because the characters realize nuKirk is still a dumb hotshot. But at least the film was somehow original, despite giving in to the prequel/reboot craze.

STD has a nice scope and all, but it was absolutely unneccessarry that the villain needed to be Khan. And it was absolutely unneccessarryy to put the climax from TWOK as the climax of STD. Whoo, they reversed the roles. Big fucking deal, it was still an uninspired ripoff. And you realize that the convoluted story was way too complex even for the writers to understand.

I blame Lindelof. He was the one who fucked up Prometheus with the unnnecccesssarrry Alien plot and the utterly stupid characters who basically killed themselves because they went full retard. And apparently he was also the one fighting for Khan in this film.

Last edited by JarodRussell; September 10 2013 at 01:09 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:04 PM   #250
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci strikes back

I like the idea of Khan being an ally.

Maybe Cumberbatch had too much charisma to live
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 03:17 PM   #251
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: Orci strikes back

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I'm serious. The past three years I've rewatched The Original Series Enterprise and Voyager, and for the most part enjoyed them. Next was TNG, and I couldn't finish it. I couldn't believe it was the same show that got me into Trek when I was little. It's aged terribly - the crew often just stand around on the bridge (arms straight at their sides, staring blankly) taking turns to recite their lines.
They attained a higher level of consciousness in the later seasons.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 03:33 PM   #252
Yorkshire Niner
Captain
 
Yorkshire Niner's Avatar
 
Location: Sheffield, England
Re: Orci strikes back

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
You've just completely made your criteria irrelevant. This is a TOS remake, so you can't consider TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT, because they aren't TOS and therefore not what the movies are attempting to capture.

Would you criticize a Vietnam War movie, for not showing the March To Baghdad, complete with such US Domination the enemy soldiers were laying down their arms and surrendering with barely a fight, but, instead showed no US domination, and hundreds of US Soldiers dying to gain to advance the front line only 10 feet (Or having to fall back and still losing hundreds of soldiers). Or would you criticize this Vietnam War movie, for not using patriot missiles? Brining in TNG Era TV show criteria to judge a TOS remake by is no different.
Jar Jar and Paramount didn't have to remake TOS when they decided to make more Trek films. That was their choice. And they chose to throw out decades of continuity, purely because it was easier to do so.

Surely you aren't serious in thinking that Jar Jar is attempting to imitate and modernise TOS with his films? He's just borrowing all the bankable assets!
__________________
Klingon proverb: Only a fool fights in a burning house
Yorkshire Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 03:52 PM   #253
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Orci strikes back

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
Um... okay, so where do I fit in? I don't care for big dumb Hollywood action flix, but I'm just fine with forgetting about the Trek spinoiffs (I'm quite happy to forget VOY and ENT).

The conflict is slightly more nuanced than your generalizations allow.
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Praetorian Guard wrote: View Post
And now The Hollywood Reporter chimes in with their own take:

Why 'Star Trek' Fans Are Wrong and Roberto Orci Is Right (Opinion)

Paramount's sequel has been dismissed by purists as crass, corny and catering to the lowest common denominator; but are the new films a lot closer to the original sci-fi series than most fans are willing to admit?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ek-fans-624623
I like how this turns out as a producers vs fans battle. And the fans are wrong if they don't like it. Holy crap.

The gist of the article basically is: if you want TOS movie level and TNG series level of quality, Abramstrek isn't made for you, and you are wrong for criticizing it because of that.
It's mirroring one popular defense of the new movies: "Well, the original Star Trek wasn't that good either!" Um... okay. I agree the original Star Trek wasn't as good as I used to think it was. How exactly does that make the new movies good? The "TOS wasn't that good either" defense makes no sense. That means we have to accept mediocrity?

And I completely disagree with author's assessment of the films:
Abrams' movies aren't trying to use the original series as a point of departure -- they are using it as their primary template.
No, they're using standard Hollywood big budget action films as their primary template. A TOS episode started with a script. The new movies (and all modern action films, for that matter) start with the set pieces and then a story is built around the set pieces. Transformers is more the template for nuTrek than is TOS.
Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
Jar Jar and Paramount didn't have to remake TOS when they decided to make more Trek films. That was their choice. And they chose to throw out decades of continuity, purely because it was easier to do so.
Decades of continuity from Star Trek spinoffs, derivative series created by other people. It should be thrown out.

I don't care for Abrams Trek, but I'm all for future Trek reboots.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:21 PM   #254
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci strikes back

MrJ wrote: View Post

I am getting sick and tired of these big budget dumb movies made for the lowest common denominator. Especially when movies like The Dark Knight, and Skyfall, have shown that not only do smart big budget movies do well, they do the best.
I hated The Dark Knight and loved Skyfall. I found The Dark Knight dull and plodding. I loved Skyfall, but found that lots of hardcore Bond fans were leveling the same charges at it that hardcore Trekkies were lobbing at Star Trek Into Darkness. Imagine that?

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
This makes absolutely no sense.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Or maybe we can just like what we like (and I like both the originals and the remake), and not piss on other people's cheerios.

Just a thought.
If there not pissing in others Cherrios then they can't be smug about supposedly how much smarter they are than the drooling masses.

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post

Jar Jar and Paramount didn't have to remake TOS when they decided to make more Trek films. That was their choice. And they chose to throw out decades of continuity, purely because it was easier to do so.
Because Modern Trek had ran its course. When you have three failures back-to-back-to-back, it tends to make the studio leery of investing money. Plus, of all the series, we saw Kirk and Spock the least in live-action and they are Trek's cultural icons. It was time to go home.


Surely you aren't serious in thinking that Jar Jar is attempting to imitate and modernise TOS with his films? He's just borrowing all the bankable assets!
Please don't tell me what I'm thinking. Please actually use the man's name who made the movies. You talk about civil wars and it seems you're the one trying to start them. I'm anxiously awaiting my Into Darkness Blu-ray to arrive plus I've been purchasing the TNG Blu-ray's as they've been released. So which side of this moronic civil war does that put me on?
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:25 PM   #255
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Orci strikes back

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
You've just completely made your criteria irrelevant. This is a TOS remake, so you can't consider TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT, because they aren't TOS and therefore not what the movies are attempting to capture.

Would you criticize a Vietnam War movie, for not showing the March To Baghdad, complete with such US Domination the enemy soldiers were laying down their arms and surrendering with barely a fight, but, instead showed no US domination, and hundreds of US Soldiers dying to gain to advance the front line only 10 feet (Or having to fall back and still losing hundreds of soldiers). Or would you criticize this Vietnam War movie, for not using patriot missiles? Brining in TNG Era TV show criteria to judge a TOS remake by is no different.
Jar Jar and Paramount didn't have to remake TOS when they decided to make more Trek films. That was their choice. And they chose to throw out decades of continuity, purely because it was easier to do so.
You're right, they didn't have to remake TOS, that's what they chose to do. So, that's where your critism should stop on that front, is that their choice to do TOS, rather than a later era bogged down with 50 years worth of Continuity as you would have liked. But, since they did choose to do TOS, it's not a legitimate criticism to compain that it's a bad TOS movie because it doesn't bring in TNG era stuff. Plus, a movie is never going to be able to match a Series in depth. Each Series had a minimum of 100 hour long episodes, versus a movie that's got no more than 2 1/2 hours to work with.

Surely you aren't serious in thinking that Jar Jar is attempting to imitate and modernise TOS with his films? He's just borrowing all the bankable assets!
Of course JJ wanted to make a movie that makes money, that's kind of his job, that's why he gets hired to make movies. But, yes, I absolutely believe Bad Robot, especially the writers who are fans, did want to make a modern update true to the soul of TOS, and I believe they succeeded.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.