Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 9 2013, 09:17 PM   #226
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Orci strikes back

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
How about the man himself:
http://www.accesshollywood.com/bened..._article_73762

Benedict Cumberbatch wrote:
I play a character called John and not that other name.
For me, "not that other name" is just the same as saying "I'm not playing Kahn." He lied. But so what? I don't care. I expect it from Hollywood in reaction to fans who feel they have a right to intrude upon the private wishes of studios and artists. Well, I guess I care, but I don't expect anything to be true. When is a Hollywood executive lying? I think you all know the answer.

Also:

Simon Pegg wrote:
"It’s not Khan,” replies Pegg, annoyed. “That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not."
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=60621
Yea, actors aren't the same as Writers, Directors, Producers. I knew actors had denied it, but, the specific charge made by the poster I was responding to was that Orci and Abrams lied, which I think is incorrect, they never confirmed or denied. The closest they came was saying "Cumberbatch character is called john Harrison", but, that wasn't followed up with a denial that he was aslo really Khan.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:35 AM   #227
Praetorian Guard
Lieutenant Commander

View Praetorian Guard's Twitter Profile

And now The Hollywood Reporter chimes in with their own take:

Why 'Star Trek' Fans Are Wrong and Roberto Orci Is Right (Opinion)

Paramount's sequel has been dismissed by purists as crass, corny and catering to the lowest common denominator; but are the new films a lot closer to the original sci-fi series than most fans are willing to admit?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ek-fans-624623
Praetorian Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:57 AM   #228
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Praetorian Guard wrote: View Post

Paramount's sequel has been dismissed by purists as crass, corny and catering to the lowest common denominator; but are the new films a lot closer to the original sci-fi series than most fans are willing to admit?
The concluding line sounds familiar, for some reason.
Hollywood Reporter wrote:
In other words, the franchise isn't broken, folks, it's just gone back to its true roots.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:15 AM   #229
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

In other words, the franchise isn't broken, folks, it's just gone back to its true roots.

If Star Trek Into Darkness is getting back to Star Trek's actual roots I would have never been a Star Trek fan to begin with. If Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Chrystal Skull was the only Indiana Jones movie, I wouldn't be a fan of him. If the Star Wars prequels were the only Star Wars movies, I would hate Star Wars. And if Michael Bay's Transformers movies were the only version of Transformers, then I wouldn't have any interest in them.

I am getting sick and tired of these big budget dumb movies made for the lowest common denominator. Especially when movies like The Dark Knight, and Skyfall, have shown that not only do smart big budget movies do well, they do the best.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:03 AM   #230
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I've been watching since the beginning. To me it is getting back to Star Trek's roots.

I enjoyed The Dark Knight and Skyfall, but I can't say I'd call them "smarter" than STID. What made them "smarter"?

The lowest common denominator charge has been mentioned before, leveled at this film and ST09. What comprises this "lowest common denominator"?

Last edited by Santa Kang; September 10 2013 at 05:14 AM.
Santa Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:09 AM   #231
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

The article is spot on about the new movies being consistent with TOS as it actually was, rather than how it's been "remembered". I've been re-watching TOS with my young son and I've been struck over and over by how well the new films have captured the spirit and tone of TOS while also managing to feel fresh. I'm also reminded of why TOS remains my favourite of all the series--it's the most fun one to revisit (been watching it pretty consistently since 1973, so it'd better be fun).

These movies are like TOS than anything since, well, TOS.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:48 AM   #232
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

MrJ wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post

If Star Trek Into Darkness is getting back to Star Trek's actual roots I would have never been a Star Trek fan to begin with.
I see.

Just for curiosity's sake: when was it that you began watching Star Trek? What was your earliest experience of "Star Trek's actual roots," and how would you say that shapes your perspective on Star Trek as a whole?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:08 AM   #233
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
Old September 10 2013, 09:19 AM   #234
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I am getting sick and tired of these big budget dumb movies made for the lowest common denominator. Especially when movies like The Dark Knight, and Skyfall, have shown that not only do smart big budget movies do well, they do the best.
And TDK and Skyfall are NOT smart. You're confusing "smart" with a film that has a serious tone. Both fall apart under scrutiny.
Old September 10 2013, 09:41 AM   #235
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
And TDK and Skyfall are NOT smart. You're confusing "smart" with a film that has a serious tone. Both fall apart under scrutiny.
Hollywood is broken.

MrJ is essentially correct though. The Dark Knight Rises may not be a "smart" film in some people's eyes... but it was a lot less stupid than STID. And Avengers Assemble for that matter.
Old September 10 2013, 09:55 AM   #236
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I like how this turns out as a producers vs fans battle. And the fans are wrong if they don't like it. Holy crap.

The gist of the article basically is: if you want TOS movie level and TNG series level of quality, Abramstrek isn't made for you, and you are wrong for criticizing it because of that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 10:03 AM   #237
F. King Daniel
Admiral

What exactly is "TNG level of quality"? Trite morals, poor acting and terrible direction?
Old September 10 2013, 10:12 AM   #238
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
We need to have a Trekkie Civil War to sort this out!

All the fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows (with the occasional fun film) and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on one side.

And fans who like massive action sequences, CGI special effects and a 'modern' remake of a 1960s TV series on the other.

Let battle commence!!!
What about those of us fans who like intelligent, well-made, well-written, long running TV shows, and aren't prepared to completely forget about TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT, who also like massive action sequences, CGI special effects, and a more modern remake of the 1960s TV series? Because that's who I am, and I loved STiD.

See, I have this thing called "reason," and I employ it when other people try to create stereotypes about who they think is on each side of what. I even had a theoretical conversation with the concept, and it went like this:

I said to myself, "self, we love Star Trek as it has been known for the past 47 years, is that right?"

And self replied, "Yes, that's right."

To which I asked, "Are we really Trek fans?"

Self said, "Of course. We've watched it since we were 4. That was 29 years ago."

To which I replied, "But what about the new J.J. Abrams movies?"

To which self added, "We love them too!"

At this point I scratched my head and said, "but we can't like both!"

Self mused, "why the hell not?"

To which I replied, "because we are merely human, and lack the intellectual capacity to simultaneously enjoy things that are different."

At which time self stated, "who the fuck gave you that idea?"

To which I replied, "lots of Star Trek fans who insist that the movies were for dumb people who like explosions, while the series is for real fans who like thinking movies."

By which time self sighed and said, "So what you're saying is they forgot about all the stupid shit from the series and the movies that completely and utterly belied any sense of intellectualism and reason and instead groped for a cheap laugh or dramatic sting filled with overwrought dialogue and plodding storyline all in the name of self serving, self important, high concept dross."

"That would be the gist of it, yes," I replied.

Self smiled, "so why are we giving a fuck?"

At which point we both smiled, and stopped giving a fuck.

The End.

Signed, J. Allen
Niner for Life
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 10:13 AM   #239
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
What exactly is "TNG level of quality"? Trite morals, poor acting and terrible direction?
Now you're just being silly.
Old September 10 2013, 10:20 AM   #240
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I'm serious. The past three years I've rewatched The Original Series Enterprise and Voyager, and for the most part enjoyed them. Next was TNG, and I couldn't finish it. I couldn't believe it was the same show that got me into Trek when I was little. It's aged terribly - the crew often just stand around on the bridge (arms straight at their sides, staring blankly) taking turns to recite their lines.