USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old August 29 2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Jelly Beans show you how much you waste your time!

The Time You have Left (in Jelly Beans)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOksW_NabEk

...just something to think about. Limited time of life means limited time to produce marvel.
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Metryq
Captain

Re: Jelly Beans show you how much you waste your time!

There is a somewhat more distressing (to me) example of human life span in Carl Sagan's COSMOS television series. He is standing in the New York public library next to a bookcase his own height. He then explains that if he read one book a week and lived an average lifetime, he could read from where he was standing -- and paced a few bookcases down -- "to about here."

That is probably my fate -- I will die with a book in my hands (and a cat sleeping on my lap).
Old September 10 2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Gov Kodos
Admiral

We all die and if there is any worth to at all we might be a footnote in someone's history who themselves will eventually be lost in time.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:57 AM   #4
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

From the moment you're born, you're already dying. If you are "lucky," it will be very slow, and as pain free as possible. Most of us are not, and will not be "lucky."
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:37 PM   #5
billcosby
Commodore

The video was really interesting; this thread is depressing. Lighten up, guys.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Pondwater
Commodore

That was neat. Although, some of those activities can be done simultaneously.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 02:29 AM   #7
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

J. Allen wrote: View Post
From the moment you're born, you're already dying. If you are "lucky," it will be very slow, and as pain free as possible. Most of us are not, and will not be "lucky."
That's really disturbing, even though it's true. They say live life to the fullest and to make every day a good day, yet every day you're one step closer to death. However, in terms of your lucky comment, I think some of it can be "skill". It's how you treat yourself, are you active, what you eat, etc. you take good care of yourself and you can be one of the "Lucky" ones, as you put it.
Old September 11 2013, 04:03 AM   #8
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
That's really disturbing, even though it's true. They say live life to the fullest and to make every day a good day, yet every day you're one step closer to death. However, in terms of your lucky comment, I think some of it can be "skill". It's how you treat yourself, are you active, what you eat, etc. you take good care of yourself and you can be one of the "Lucky" ones, as you put it.
It's more luck than skill. You can be quite skilled, and still be saddled with an endless stream of emotional, and physical, health problems. You could be born into a family where you are trapped by circumstances that are beyond your control. A situation where the decisions you make can end or significantly degrade the quality and quantity of someone else's life, and no matter what choice you make, you still lose in the end.

There is no pleasant, or optimistic, quote to keep it away; sometimes you are born in shit, and that is where you'll die, having seen the land, and people, and life of your dreams all above you, and never achieving it. Right there in front of you, in your field of vision, and always just outside your reach. Then you die and it doesn't matter as your dreams die with you, and the people who observe it all from the outside no longer have to care, because you're gone now, and they have their own lives to live before they, too, succumb.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 11:21 PM   #9
publiusr
Commodore

Metryq wrote: View Post

He then explains that if he read one book a week and lived an average lifetime, he could read from where he was standing -- and paced a few bookcases down -- "to about here."
That and the deal with Hypatia really bummed me out. That I could not physically read every book...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Whenever I get distressed by how few years I have left (I am now 55 years old) I only have to think about my school friend, Susan, who died when she was 11 years old. Already I have lived 5 times as long as she did, do why should I complain when I have been so much more fortunate than she?
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

All the human beings that ever existed comprise only a very small fraction of the possible templates for human beings.
Indeed, the very fact we exist at all means we have beaten the odds. And not only exist, but exist as conscious beings, aware of our existence and of the universe.

The best way to capitalise on this is to work towards a happy life; what this means, many philosophers already explained - Bertrand Russell comes to mind.

Life expectancy increased gradually for ~200 years.
Who knows, perhaps we'll be among the first to enjoy a life expectancy lengthened by a few decades thanks to medicine - the chances of this happening may not be of the ~'it's practically certain' type, but they're not trivial, either.