RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,601
Posts: 5,424,742
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 407
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 9 2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Khan 2.0
Commander
 
Khan 2.0's Avatar
 
Location: earth...but when?...spock?
why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

they’ve done Alien vs. just about everything in comics (Predator, Terminator, Superman, Batman, Tarzan, Judge Dredd, etc ) but a Trek v Aliens comic would make a great deal more sense than most

a comic artist has made a few panels here of what it could be like:
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240898
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240890
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240889
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240888

those panels look awesome and im sure im not the only one whod love to see a full length comic series/graphic novel.

**see here for a detailed outline of how an Aliens v Trek comic mini series could go (in Fan Faction forum as dont think would be allowed in this forum)
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...71#post8622571

Last edited by Khan 2.0; September 10 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:19 PM   #2
David Mack
Writer
 
David Mack's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Most likely it's a copyright and licensing issue. It costs a lot of money to combine intellectual properties with different owners, and it complicates the approvals process by requiring two licensors—with potentially mutually exclusive sensibilities—to approve every outline, every script, and every page of art.

To paraphrase Ghostbusters, "Don't cross the revenue streams."
__________________
~ David Mack | "Where were you when the page was blank?" — Truman Capote

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Khan 2.0
Commander
 
Khan 2.0's Avatar
 
Location: earth...but when?...spock?
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Hopefully they can come to an agreement

Last edited by Khan 2.0; September 10 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Mysterion
Rear Admiral
 
Mysterion's Avatar
 
Location: SB-31, Daran V
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

The artwork isn't bad. But I don't see these two things going together. The Trek philosophy of "every life form has a right to exist" just doesn't bode well for how this would all turn out - otherwise it's just a "let's kill the bugs!" story. All fine and well for an aliens story, but it ain't Trek. Look how muddled the whole borg thing got. Also, the image of Spock trotting around the Enterprise with the vulcan weapon strapped across his back just doesn't ring true to me.
__________________
USS Galileo Galilei, NCC-8888
Prima Inter Pares
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

I did a Star Trek vs Alien comic on You Tube but I was inspired by the star Trek motion comic which was far superior. I expect you can still find it on You Tube. My only criticism was that it had more Alien than Star Trek.. watch it and see what I mean!

For my part I just wanted to do feature an amalgam universe featuring as many different classic sci fi elements as I could squeeze in. Working on the final part of the second story now. It's fun to make! Not sure if it's fun to read lol.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:29 AM   #6
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
they’ve done Alien vs. just about everything in comics (Predator, Terminator, Superman, Batman, Tarzan, Judge Dredd, etc ) but a Trek v Aliens comic would make a great deal more sense than most

a comic artist has made a few panels here of what it could be like:
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240898
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240890
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240889
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240888

those panels look awesome and im sure im not the only one whod love to see a full length comic series/graphic novel.
I would love to see this happen. As you said the Aliens and Predators have had versus books with just about everyone else and I've enjoyed most of those. So a Trek crossover sounds great to me.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:32 AM   #7
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Mysterion wrote: View Post
The artwork isn't bad. But I don't see these two things going together. The Trek philosophy of "every life form has a right to exist" just doesn't bode well for how this would all turn out - otherwise it's just a "let's kill the bugs!" story. All fine and well for an aliens story, but it ain't Trek. Look how muddled the whole borg thing got. Also, the image of Spock trotting around the Enterprise with the vulcan weapon strapped across his back just doesn't ring true to me.
Good point, although, to be fair, in "Operation--Annihilate!" nobody seemed too concerned with defending the neural parasites' right to exist!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Are Xenomorphs even sentient? As far as I recall the movies, they come off pretty much animals acting on instinct and aggression. They have an animal cunning, but in the same way a predator tracking or trapping prey does.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:56 AM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Are Xenomorphs even sentient? As far as I recall the movies, they come off pretty much animals acting on instinct and aggression. They have an animal cunning, but in the same way a predator tracking or trapping prey does.
Yeah, I think they're closer to Great White Sharks than Hortas.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

The exact level of intelligence is open to debate. They threw themselves at the guns until there was no ammo left but that might have been because the queen was controlling them. They also cut the power to the base but that might have been accidental. If I had to guess I'd probably say they seem a bit smarter than a primate but they might be considerably smarter, just with no need for or interest in technology.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

^Err, humans are primates too. So that doesn't exactly lock it down.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

I don't know about Aliens, but I personally wouldn't see the point in doing a Trek/Predator crossover. If Trek wants to have its heroes stalked by aggressive hunters, it already has the Hirogen.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Heck, the Nausicaans look like the Predator species anyway.

Digression: This thread has got me thinking that at least one of those two Fox horror franchises is misnamed. It's the Xenomorphs that are the predators -- animals whose primary subsistence method is to pursue, capture, and feed on live prey. The Yautja are instead hunters -- intelligent beings who stalk and kill prey for sport. In fact, the film Predator was originally going to be called Hunter, which would've been more accurate.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 03:02 PM   #14
bbailey861
Admiral
 
bbailey861's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, ON
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
they’ve done Alien vs. just about everything in comics (Predator, Terminator, Superman, Batman, Tarzan, Judge Dredd, etc ) but a Trek v Aliens comic would make a great deal more sense than most

a comic artist has made a few panels here of what it could be like:
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240898
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240890
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240889
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=240888

those panels look awesome and im sure im not the only one whod love to see a full length comic series/graphic novel.
I would love to see this happen. As you said the Aliens and Predators have had versus books with just about everyone else and I've enjoyed most of those. So a Trek crossover sounds great to me.
I would, too. Just looking at the draft comic pages gives me the willies and I love it. To see a complete story line fleshed out, coloured, and with text would be incredible and I also think it would sell well.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 03:28 PM   #15
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Noddy wrote: View Post
I don't know about Aliens, but I personally wouldn't see the point in doing a Trek/Predator crossover. If Trek wants to have its heroes stalked by aggressive hunters, it already has the Hirogen.
There's a story idea in there.

Have the Hirogen hunting the Aliens and our heroes become involved.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.