Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 9 2013, 08:19 PM   #16
feek61
Captain

Re: Your TAS memories

I was 12 and already a HUGE Star Trek fan. I remember both eagerly looking forward to each Saturday because TAS was on but also dreading it because it was the day I had to help my dad do the yard work . . . which was ALWAYS during TAS. I can remember sneaking into the house to watch it. Finally my mom intervened (she knew how dedicated I was to Star Trek because she saw me watching TOS everyday and keeping detailed notes on all of the sets and props) and let my dad know that he needed to give me a break during that 30 mins. If I remember correctly I think it came on from 11:00 to 11:30 AM

Boy, those were great, fun days.
Old September 9 2013, 08:47 PM   #17
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I was three and was in the process of watching the TOS reruns which ran every night at 6pm at the time. My mom, who had been a fan since the NBC years, told me later(as well as telling her friends every chance she got for the next thirty years) how funny she thought it was that I would ask her, "Mommy, how come Spock is a cartoon on the morning show and a real person at night?". Mom and I watched both together.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:59 PM   #18
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

feek61 wrote: View Post
If I remember correctly I think it came on from 11:00 to 11:30 AM
That's my recollection also. Safely after the "essential" cartoons like Bugs Bunny were over.

Looking back, it's amazing that something so intelligent was allowed on Saturday morning. After all, this was the era of Super Friends.

There was other programming out there in the Seventies, like the Children's Television Workshop stuff, that didn't talk down to kids but elevated their minds instead, so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised. But Star Trek was always adult-quality fare, even things like the Power Records (at least when Alan Dean Foster was holding the pen).

In a way, the Power Records were even more influential in the pre-VCR era, because kids could listen to them again and again and enrich their vocabulary. (I credit "In Vino Veritas" alone with teaching me the words envoy, hegemony, palatable, subaltern, apportionment, protocol, and subterfuge.) But that's turning into another topic!
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:23 PM   #19
mach7
Commander

I was 14 when it came on. I think I remember first hearing about it from a fanzine I subscribed to. My friends and I waited in anticipation for it to premire.

I remember being somewhat underwhelmed by the show. I thought the animation was weak and the stories were not up to the original. It was VERY much better than
anything else on Saturday morning, or probably even primetime.

I still watched it every week.

A few years ago I re watched it and found my original assessment still held up.

It has a few good moments but falls a bit short.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:50 AM   #20
Kail
Commodore

I was 13 and already a big Star Trek fan. Mt strongest memory was of the Friday night preview show. I was hooked right there with the clip from Beyond the Farthest Star. I would tape the episodes on my cassette tape recorder to listen to over and over. I would also film the TV screen with my super 8 camera. Fun!

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:49 AM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

I was 14 and already a huge TOS fan. I'm not sure when or where I first heard of the forthcoming series, but it could have been NBC promos. My first exposure was "Beyond The Farthest Star" and then "Yesteryear." At the time I thought the show was light years beyond what else was being done in animation, and while I loved it I still didn't think it was on the level of TOS. I noticed its limitations back then, but I overlooked them because I was so excited to get new Star Trek adventures as well as getting to see new ships and new exotic aliens.
Old September 10 2013, 04:53 AM   #22
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Heh. I was just talking about this elsewhere, but I'll re-post my comment here...

My first exposure to TAS was through my uncle's old set of Foster adaptations. "Beyond the Farthest Star" and "Yesteryear" in particular were mind-blowing reads for this young Trekkie! A bit later (in the early nineties) I started watching the show on The Sci-Fi Channel and I was shocked to discover the origin of those great stories! I started collecting the VHS tapes in college, and not long after I came across some crazy guy on the internet who wanted to make original TAS comic stories and needed a writer! Eleven years later, we're still going strong!

Kail wrote: View Post
I would also film the TV screen with my super 8 camera.
Please tell me you still have those reels! I'll bring one of my projectors the next time I come down!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:48 AM   #23
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

^ I still remember reading "Yesteryear." Foster did a great job. "An infinitude of Kirks waiting for the return of a billion Spocks in a million variations of a certain awkward second or two in time..."
Old September 10 2013, 06:12 PM   #24
J.T.B.
Commodore

TAS was my first Star Trek experience, I was only three or four so I don't remember a lot of details. I do remember, as others have said, that it was on late in the morning, so there was a little conflict over watching the show or going out to play. I think I decided in TAS's favor quite a bit. I only remember a few impressions of the show and can't sort most of it out from what I saw a few years later, when it ran in a weekday after-school slot. The main things I remember from the original run are the music, the ship moving "sideways" fast in the opening credits, and the rotating Scheimer-Prescott credit thing.

The next thing I remember were the toy commercials. My friends on the block had the communicator walkie-talkies, which worked OK but not great IIRC, and the bridge playset, the transporter part of which I found to be a disappointing gimmick compared to how it looked on the commercial. I got a 12-inch Captain Kirk figure sometime around '75 or '76. It went well with my Lone Ranger, Batman and Emergency! Squad 51 figures, but soon Star Wars hit and the 3-inch Kenner figures took over the play time of my brother and me.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:30 PM   #25
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

TAS was also my first Trek experience. I was only 2 when it premiered, but for some reason it was one of the earliest memories I have of watching anything on TV. Since my parents were fans of TOS since September 8, 1966, TAS was on the TV from that premiere.

The first episode that I clearly remember was "Eye Of The Beholder" when it first aired, but everything from the series stuck with me all through my watching of TOS later on (some memories had been comingled, with me at one point trying to find the TOS episode where Kirk has "Kirk is a Jerk" on his tunic!)

When Nickelodeon started showing it, we didn't yet have cable TV, but when we went to an Uncle's house for a family gathering, we had the TV on. Someone put Nickelodeon on, at about the time when an episode of TAS was going to come on.

We left it on, and the first TAS episode I was able to see for the first time in 11 or so years? "Eye Of The Beholder"...
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:55 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
My friends on the block had the communicator walkie-talkies, which worked OK but not great IIRC, and the bridge playset, the transporter part of which I found to be a disappointing gimmick compared to how it looked on the commercial.
To this day, I still think the bridge-playset transporter was a pretty awesome gimmick.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:18 PM   #27
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

^ "Place Mr. Spock or any other character into the transporter chamber. Spin the dial, press a button. Mr. Spock disappears!"
Old September 10 2013, 10:11 PM   #28
Garrovick
Commander

I missed TAS during its initial run since I would have been about 4 at the time. But, around 1977 or 1978 when I would have been 8-9 years old, they started showing it during the local Saturday morning cartoon run - except that they showed it first, starting at 6:30 am - so for years I associated TAS with getting up extra early on weekends - even to this day I don't think that association has completely left me.

One of my two first ST books was Star Trek Log Ten - my mom bought it for me in a garage sale around 1979 or so. It's still one of my favorites. Alan Dean Foster did an outstanding job on all of those books.
Old September 11 2013, 02:27 AM   #29
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Just a couple of quirky things about Foster's prose style:

He'd write a sentence with one predicate, tack on another predicate after a comma with no conjunction.

Then he'd always end the story by using ellipsis . . .
Old September 11 2013, 07:01 PM   #30
jpv2000
Captain

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
^ "Place Mr. Spock or any other character into the transporter chamber. Spin the dial, press a button. Mr. Spock disappears!"
Oh yeah. I had good times with that.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote