Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 10 2013, 12:58 AM   #271
austen_pierce
Captain

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

And I love that movie.
^^^ THIS!
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:47 AM   #272
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
How is it hypocritical of Janeway's crew that they enjoyed movies and television because a Denobulan 200 years earlier had a different opinion about such media?
It goes back to Data's statement that TV pretty much became 'extinct' around or a little after 2040.

And considering that this was early TNG, it appeared to say future humans grew bored with it or abandoned it for some reason.

Then taking a look at how humans entertained themselves on the Enterprise-- plays, reading, playing instruments, studying science and arts-- we never see anyone watching a movie or tv.

But for direct evidence, read what Harry Kim had to say about TV when Kes and Neelix told him about how much they enjoyed soap operas.

Phlox's statement, Data's and Kim's all combined say TV is outdated and a waste of time.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:29 AM   #273
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Multiple characters and multiple writers make for multiple opinions in-universe or behind the scenes. Neither the characters nor the viewpoints expressed by the show need be homogenous. Just ask Spock and McCoy.

I can believe that television as a distinct medium could vanish in this century, replaced by digital media. That doesn't mean that the type of entertainment that television provides would go extinct. Look at vinyl to CD to MP3.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:42 AM   #274
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Multiple characters and multiple writers make for multiple opinions in-universe or behind the scenes. Neither the characters nor the viewpoints expressed by the show need be homogenous. Just ask Spock and McCoy.

I can believe that television as a distinct medium could vanish in this century, replaced by digital media. That doesn't mean that the type of entertainment that television provides would go extinct. Look at vinyl to CD to MP3.
I agree with that. I think the last stand of television will be all live events.

And I think the transition to digital will kill the yearly season format.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:33 AM   #275
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post

It goes back to Data's statement that TV pretty much became 'extinct' around or a little after 2040.
TV as it was in 1987 is already going extinct nowadays. That's more what Data meant, not "TV is entirely gone". It's another example of Trek unintentionally predicting the future.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:59 PM   #276
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

How is it hypocritical of Janeway's crew that they enjoyed movies and television because a Denobulan 200 years earlier had a different opinion about such media?

And considering that this was early TNG, it appeared to say future humans grew bored with it or abandoned it for some reason.

Then taking a look at how humans entertained themselves on the Enterprise-- plays, reading, playing instruments, studying science and arts-- we never see anyone watching a movie or tv.

But for direct evidence, read what Harry Kim had to say about TV when Kes and Neelix told him about how much they enjoyed soap operas.

Phlox's statement, Data's and Kim's all combined say TV is outdated and a waste of time.
Let's face it, I'm already bored by TV. By 2040, I will probably be bored by films as well.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:14 PM   #277
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post

TV as it was in 1987 is already going extinct nowadays. That's more what Data meant, not "TV is entirely gone". It's another example of Trek unintentionally predicting the future.
I don't know that I agree. Sure, there's a bagillion more channels than there were in 1987. And we have better and more flexible methods of recording and playing back programs than the VCR's of 1987. But, fundamentally, TV is still the same basic medium as it was, and it's still the dominant home entertainment medium by a long shot.

Yes, there's Netflix and YouTube and all sorts of online viewing options. But, truth be told, the vast majority of people are still not using those as their primary method of viewing TV programs. The vast majority of TV viewing is still taking place in people's living rooms in front of a (basically) traditional TV.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:04 PM   #278
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Sure, now. By 2040 who knows how it will have been further changed?
Old September 10 2013, 04:30 PM   #279
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I think it boils down to the context of what Data said... he said the form of entertainment did not survive, as if to say passive watching of something on a screen was outdated.

He could be right, but I also think it might be underestimating the concept a little.

But the real insinuation was that there was something wrong with it too. I noticed this from the "Neutral Zone"

Sonny: How do you turn on this here teevee?

Riker: Teevee?

Sonny:Yeah, boob-tube... you know. I'd like to find out how the Braves are doin' after all this time.Probably still finding ways to lose.

Data:Oh -- I think he means television, sir.
Riker: From what I have already seen of our "guests", there is very little to redeem them. In fact,it makes me wonder, how our species ever survived the twenty-first century.
The only conversation Riker had with them is pretty much what was in the quotes above. Ralph mentioned something about checking his accounts, but that was it, nothing hard or serious.

From that you can guess that because 20th century humans liked to watch activities on a 2 dimensional screen, 24th century humans thought they were hopelessly primitive.

As far as the show, all I've ever saw people use it for is communications, searching data, music, maybe video games.

Entertainment? Plays, concerts, Ten Forward, Holodeck..

I think at the time, Trek had a certain idea of what advanced humans did for entertainment.

Last edited by Nightdiamond; September 10 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:24 PM   #280
Noddy
Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post

But B'nanna and Insaneway leaping up and down like schoolgirls shrieking "Warp particles! WARP particles!" upset me on so many levels.
What episode is this from?

Oh, and one of the most painful lines ever uttered on Trek, for me, has to be in TNG "Hide and Q" where Geordi yells "WORF! Is this your idea of SEX?!!"

And then there's Vorik's "YOU ARE MY MATE NOOOOWWWWW!!!!" on VOY "Blood Fever."
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:56 PM   #281
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I think it boils down to the context of what Data said... he said the form of entertainment did not survive, as if to say passive watching of something on a screen was outdated.

He could be right, but I also think it might be underestimating the concept a little.

But the real insinuation was that there was something wrong with it too. I noticed this from the "Neutral Zone"

Sonny:Yeah, boob-tube... you know. I'd like to find out how the Braves are doin' after all this time.Probably still finding ways to lose.

Riker: From what I have already seen of our "guests", there is very little to redeem them. In fact,it makes me wonder, how our species ever survived the twenty-first century.
The only conversation Riker had with them is pretty much what was in the quotes above. Ralph mentioned something about checking his accounts, but that was it, nothing hard or serious.

From that you can guess that because 20th century humans liked to watch activities on a 2 dimensional screen, 24th century humans thought they were hopelessly primitive.
Bottom line, I think you're reading way too much into it. And it says nothing of why Janeway's crew could be considered hypocrites for enjoying a revival of interest in TV and movies. That's like saying that Sisko is a hypocrite for playing baseball.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:11 PM   #282
Nine of Four
Commander

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Josan wrote: View Post

That line, delivered from one Jew to another, is hilarious. It's a joke as is clearly obvious from Shatner's/Kirk's facial expression.
I find it hard to believe that was intended to be a joke, since it only works as a joke when you know both actors are jews! Even then, I doubt many people actually find it funny. And for anyone who doesn´t know that, it remains a very questionable line, both production-wise and in-universe, IMO.

Mario
I always thought that was a discreet reference to the cast/producers of Star Trek being neo-Nazi's....

lol jk
Old September 10 2013, 11:33 PM   #283
jpv2000
Captain

Noddy wrote: View Post
Oh, and one of the most painful lines ever uttered on Trek, for me, has to be in TNG "Hide and Q" where Geordi yells "WORF! Is this your idea of SEX?!!"
Oh, yes. I remember this one well and I agree.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:53 AM   #284
Anwar
Vice Admiral

As far as the show, all I've ever saw people use it for is communications, searching data, music, maybe video games.

Entertainment? Plays, concerts, Ten Forward, Holodeck..

I think at the time, Trek had a certain idea of what advanced humans did for entertainment.
I'm actually a bit more annoyed at Riker than I am at Picard in that episode. Picard at least was under the heavy pressure of finding out if they were being invaded by Romulans and didn't interact with the 20th Century guys much. Riker comes off as pretty nasty and petty to condemn them after meeting them.
Old September 11 2013, 11:42 AM   #285
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

If you were to ask Picard if he watched TV he'd probably say something similar to Phlox, about finding real life more interesting than watching someone else's.

But if you were to ask him, 'but when you pretend to be Dixon Hill when you use the holodeck, how is that any different?"

Would love to see the expression....
I think people are reading way too far into this. However, I suspect Picard's answer would be along the lines of

"The Holodeck allows us to interact with the story, to almost BE the story. It DOES benefit if used correctly. Even Dixon Hill is solving crimes instead of watching someone else do it."

Also, in the Star Trek universe, where we aren't forced to work 9-5 all our lives, I'd say life WOULD be far more interesting.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote