RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 885
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 9 2013, 07:21 PM   #421
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Then what's the point of going out of your way to make an alternate universe if it's just going to use the same elements again?
Because you and general audiences already know the fate of Kirk and Company in the Prime Timeline. You would have essentially been tying your own hands from a drama standpoint by just shoe-horning another adventure into the Prime timeline.
Old September 9 2013, 07:23 PM   #422
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Then what's the point of going out of your way to make an alternate universe if it's just going to use the same elements again?
Because you can play with them in different ways--and aren't locked into forty-seven years of predetermined "canon." ("But Amanda can't die yet! We saw her in the fourth movie!")

You can make Khan a rogue agent of Section 31, for instance, or blow up Vulcan, or have Spock hook up with Uhura, or erase the Organian Peace Treaty from the continuity, or whatever. Nothing is set in stone.

Look at the new, modern-day versions of SHERLOCK and ELEMENTARY. They're doing fun twists on the classic elements--but aren't beholden to the original Conan Doyle "timeline."

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 9 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:47 PM   #423
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

To pick and choose what bits they wanted?
Old September 10 2013, 12:45 AM   #424
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Coming soon: Crisis on Infinite Treks
Old September 10 2013, 01:10 AM   #425
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. When DC does their next reboot of Superman should they dump the whole alien thing and Luthor being his arch foe?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:20 AM   #426
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. When DC does their next reboot of Superman should they dump the whole alien thing and Luthor being his arch foe?
There's a new Dracula series coming on NBC this fall. I'm going to go out on limb and guess that he's still a vampire--although they seem to be taking a plenty of liberties with the original story. As you do.

And I seriously doubt that they'll be returning to the old Hammer Films "timeline." Or that anybody really expects them to to!

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 10 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 10:04 AM   #427
Belz...
Fleet Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
You've already admitted one similarity, don't act like it has none.
I'll take that as an admission that your list contained zero rehashed stories.

"Don't act like it has none". Wow. I already said that it's one, and challenged anyone to provide more. No one has. This trick of yours to come back and re-mention that one scene, as though it counts as "more", is desperate and pathetic.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:32 PM   #428
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
There's a new Dracula series coming on NBC this fall. I'm going to go out on limb and guess that he's still a vampire--although they seem to be taking a plenty of liberties with the original story. As you do.
And a 2014 film, the first major one since the 1992 film, which is already set to be more of a period drama based largely on Tepes and his past, which is rather rare for any of them.

But you know, still Tepes, still an aristocratic vampire in a castle.
Old September 10 2013, 04:04 PM   #429
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
This trick of yours to come back and re-mention that one scene, as though it counts as "more", is desperate and pathetic.
That's the second time that you had to reply to me with a snarky response. You state opinion and when someone responds, it either "doesn't count" or "isn't relevant" to you. You'll say "nobody has been able to explain how STID rehashed anything" after stating one. If my examples don't count at least you should take yours.
Old September 11 2013, 10:02 AM   #430
Belz...
Fleet Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
You state opinion and when someone responds, it either "doesn't count" or "isn't relevant" to you. You'll say "nobody has been able to explain how STID rehashed anything" after stating one. If my examples don't count at least you should take yours.
Don't play games. We've already stated that your list did NOT include any examples of reused stories. I've already allowed the reversed warp core scene, so there's that. I'm asking, and this is EXACTLY what happened in the first post I wrote on that, if there's anything more than that ONE scene. The list you provided doesn't include anything that could be considered a reused story. It's as simple as that, and your attempt to distract us won't change anything.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 12:46 AM   #431
jpv2000
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Coming soon: Crisis on Infinite Treks
I can see it now.

Seriously, as has been said. Star Trek, and sci-fi itself, has been around so long that basically anything you come up with is pretty much a variant of something that has been done before. The magic of good writers is they can add their own unique twists to those done before concepts.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 05:58 PM   #432
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I want a proper prequel film of how Kirk really became Captain of the Enterprise. In the style of films like Love Actually, Crash or Traffic, with all the character's ways to end up on the ship told in parallel, interweaved stories.

No contrived bullshit of him meeting McCoy and Uhura in Iowa, no Spock is the programmer of Kobayashi Maru crap, no instant cadet to Captain promotion fuck.

The massacre on Tarsus IV, Kirk's adventures on the Farragut, Spock's adventures with Pike, and other stuff are interesting stories. And there would be still A SHITLOAD of room to tell new exciting stories the characters had before getting on the Enterprise.

And just for fun I want that 300 style epic Klingon tale about Klingons slaying their gods, and Kahless' adventures. R-rated, heavily stylized, science fiction fantasy epic.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 06:34 PM   #433
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I would agree with that post up until you came out with the Klingon 300 movie.
Old September 13 2013, 06:45 PM   #434
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I would agree with that post up until you came out with the Klingon 300 movie.
Actually, I thought part that sounded pretty good!
Old September 13 2013, 07:40 PM   #435
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

^Same, I'd watch it.

"THIS IS QO'NOS!"