RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,064
Posts: 5,431,958
Members: 24,925
Currently online: 609
Newest member: dracopticon

TrekToday headlines

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 9 2013, 04:14 PM   #571
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Eh? What tells you enough about the mid-1800s Wayne family that it'd be likely OR unlikely they'd support slave labor?
Whaaa? The very thing both of us were just talking about -- the Underground Railroad connection. Do I really need to spell out why it's unlikely that a family that helped slaves escape to freedom would've exploited slaves themselves?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 06:53 PM   #572
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

I saw the latest episode yesterday. It was pretty meh. I thought the whole point of testing "Katana" was to get her to figure out his identity herself, which would determine if she was a worthy partner, but I guess not. I do like that she actually used a sword that I'm pretty sure was a katana this episode. It makes me hope that we never see the big green sword again, because having Katana actually use a katana was interesting. This episode also wasn't helped by the fact that its fight scene sucked. The CGI animation is pretty poor looking normally, but I didn't think Batman fighting ninjas could be done so badly. It just wasn't exciting at all, and it actually also made me notice that Katana's model looks kind of weird. Having good animation wouldn't have made this episode particularly good, but it would have helped.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 11:07 PM   #573
Marc
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: An Aussie in Canukistan
Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I saw the latest episode yesterday. It was pretty meh. I thought the whole point of testing "Katana" was to get her to figure out his identity herself, which would determine if she was a worthy partner, but I guess not. I do like that she actually used a sword that I'm pretty sure was a katana this episode. It makes me hope that we never see the big green sword again, because having Katana actually use a katana was interesting. This episode also wasn't helped by the fact that its fight scene sucked. The CGI animation is pretty poor looking normally, but I didn't think Batman fighting ninjas could be done so badly. It just wasn't exciting at all, and it actually also made me notice that Katana's model looks kind of weird. Having good animation wouldn't have made this episode particularly good, but it would have helped.
No the point of the testing was to see if she would be suitable help for Batman, not whether she could work out that Bruce Wayne is Batman.
__________________
Gentlemen you can't fight in here - this is the war room.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:05 AM   #574
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Marc wrote: View Post
No the point of the testing was to see if she would be suitable help for Batman, not whether she could work out that Bruce Wayne is Batman.
But since Batman is a detective, you'd think deductive ability is something he'd want to cultivate in an assistant. So those could've been the same thing.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:22 AM   #575
Marc
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: An Aussie in Canukistan
Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Christopher wrote: View Post
Marc wrote: View Post
No the point of the testing was to see if she would be suitable help for Batman, not whether she could work out that Bruce Wayne is Batman.
But since Batman is a detective, you'd think deductive ability is something he'd want to cultivate in an assistant. So those could've been the same thing.
it would be handy but not essential. Did either of the first two Robins have detective skills (something that Tim Drake displayed that got him the job iirc)?
__________________
Gentlemen you can't fight in here - this is the war room.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:05 AM   #576
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

I don't think we're saying it's "essential" -- just that the show gave us the impression that that was what Bruce was going for, and that it would've been a good approach if they had done it that way. It would've made Tatsu a more impressive character if she had the smarts to put the clues together.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:31 AM   #577
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Marc wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Marc wrote: View Post
No the point of the testing was to see if she would be suitable help for Batman, not whether she could work out that Bruce Wayne is Batman.
But since Batman is a detective, you'd think deductive ability is something he'd want to cultivate in an assistant. So those could've been the same thing.
it would be handy but not essential. Did either of the first two Robins have detective skills (something that Tim Drake displayed that got him the job iirc)?
Dick was good at acrobatics and Jason was good at boosting cars.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:50 AM   #578
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

After Jason frakked Talia, all he had to do to become the living embodiment of Oedipus, was to kill Batman, and he had a bloody good college try at that for a while.

Seriously the phone vote on whether to kill him was 5,343 votes to 5,271

Did any of you codgers vote in that pole?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 02:25 AM   #579
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Marc wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

But since Batman is a detective, you'd think deductive ability is something he'd want to cultivate in an assistant. So those could've been the same thing.
it would be handy but not essential. Did either of the first two Robins have detective skills (something that Tim Drake displayed that got him the job iirc)?
Yeah I thought it was pretty obvious it was a test a character. He'd already tested her deductive and combat abilities.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 04:54 PM   #580
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

At least now we know what happened to all the cars in Gotham City.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:21 PM   #581
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Today's episode was really bland and forgettable. Outside of Gotham having a bizarrely walled off part of town, nothing in this episode was interesting or something we haven't seen a million times before.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:30 PM   #582
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Not bad, though the gag about Katana's safety suit in the opening was overboard. I'm not surprised that her look is just her standard outfit with a domino mask; they've spent seven weeks establishing that look for her in our minds, so I didn't expect them to depart from it much now. Plus it saves them having to build a whole new digital model for her.

Barbara is still cool. I loved how she kept talking back to Whale, being thoroughly unimpressed by her own kidnapping. And I loved "When can I get a grapnel?"

Not too convinced by the origins of the Batsignal. With his daughter under threat, you'd think Gordon would've wanted to contact Batman more clandestinely, not in a way the whole city could see. Not sure how he would've managed that, though.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:36 PM   #583
Avalon
Captain
 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Location: Avalon
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Christopher wrote: View Post
Barbara is still cool. I loved how she kept talking back to Whale, being thoroughly unimpressed by her own kidnapping. And I loved "When can I get a grapnel?"
It bugged me that she was so Genre Savvy, but didn't warn Our Heroes about the lawyer's fire powers. (She saw him all flame-y when he kidnapped her.)
__________________
Ancient Reed Rager
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:13 AM   #584
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07
 
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Christopher wrote: View Post
Not bad, though the gag about Katana's safety suit in the opening was overboard.
You'd think that Batman would be smarter than to put her in something so ridiculous. It was a good attempt at humor though in that eye-rolling sort of way.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm not surprised that her look is just her standard outfit with a domino mask; they've spent seven weeks establishing that look for her in our minds, so I didn't expect them to depart from it much now. Plus it saves them having to build a whole new digital model for her.
Still hoping for a Katana/Robin hybrid suit.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Barbara is still cool.
Yes she is. She has the makings of a pretty good version of Batgirl if they ever get that far. I wouldn't mind seeing a Batgirl who's girly and precocious instead of overly heroic for an amateur.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:15 AM   #585
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07
 
Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Oh, and Katana is lucky enough to not have a cape. I've been thinking lately that Batman's cape probably gets in the way a lot.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.