Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 5 2013, 01:30 AM   #46
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Re: Continuity in star trek?

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Like Kirk having relationships all over the place and they're never mentioned again after. It gives the show a slight cartoonish feel to it.
Which relationships are you referring to? The past lovers, such as Ruth, Janet Wallace, and Carol Marcus? Because why would they be mentioned regularly?

Or are you referring to the numerous women Kirk reputedly seduces in TOS? Because all those incidents were duty-related and absolutely not "relationships".
With just the sheer number of encounters it would have been hard not to mention at least some of them again.

Areel Shaw the lawyer- semi serious relationship

Janice Lester - serious relationship

Carol Marcus --serious relationship that produced a son he knew about

Miramanee-- he married her, lived with her several months, and almost had a child with her.

Edith keeler--fell deeply in love

Elaan of Troyus--seduced Kirk with a special bonding pheromone in her tears--no cure for it.

Rayna, the Android --he fell head over heels in love with her. Granted, Spock erased the memory of her from his mind, (it was so strong) but even if Kirk kept the memory of her, who wants to bet she would have been mentioned again?

Deela may have very well have had offspring with Kirk.

TNG was a little better, although it did some of the same things.

Picard reunited Vash. Riker remembered Minuet. Worf reunited K'ehlar.

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
That was just Kirk being Kirk.
It's so funny--I cant even begin to add all the women Kirk either seduced, had a relationship with, seduced Kirk. Add the movies and the number jumps a bit.

Melakon wrote: View Post
I was never a big fan of serialized shows, because you had to watch them every week in order to keep up. You could miss one episode, and be completely in the dark about what's happening over the next few weeks. This is the problem I had with DS9 and ENT.
It does get confusing.

But one of the things that I eventually discovered that I liked about watching serialized shows, is the fun of trying to figure out who's who and whats happening.

When I first watched TNG reruns (no DVDs) I thought Cmder Riker was the same character as Captain Thadiun Okona because they kind of look similar. (As stupid as that sounds )

It made no sense that he was not part of Starfleet, but then suddenly he's the second in command of the Enterprise, so I had to wait and re-watch to figure it all out.

The same thing with DS9, Enterprise, Spartacus, Clone Wars,Game of Thrones etc.

Watching a serialized show right in the middle of it running is kinda fun if you look at that way.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:49 AM   #47
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

When I first watched TNG reruns (no DVDs) I thought Cmder Riker was the same character as Captain Thadiun Okona because they kind of look similar. (As stupid as that sounds )
Well Billy Campbell who played Okana was the first pick to play Riker before being dropped because they considered him to be too soft.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:55 PM   #48
jpv2000
Captain

I've often wondered about this one. I wish it had been followed up on in a novel or something.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 03:26 PM   #49
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

GameOn wrote: View Post
Well Billy Campbell who played Okana was the first pick to play Riker before being dropped because they considered him to be too soft.
I hadn't heard that before. I knew Campbell had been in the running to play Riker, but I just assumed he had been passed over because Roddenberry, Justman and Berman preferred Frakes. I didn't know the reasoning behind it.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 04:13 PM   #50
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

That's interesting-- my first impression after that episode was that they were one and the same, which couldn't possible make any sense in the story.

Must have been the beard.

I've often wondered about this one. I wish it had been followed up on in a novel or something.
There's an interesting scene where Deela is nuzzling up to Kirk, they cut to another scene, and then when they return to them, Kirk is sitting on a bed pulling his boot up, and Deela is brushing her hair .
Old September 6 2013, 12:53 AM   #51
jpv2000
Captain

That's interesting-- my first impression after that episode was that they were one and the same, which couldn't possible make any sense in the story.

Must have been the beard.

There's an interesting scene where Deela is nuzzling up to Kirk, they cut to another scene, and then when they return to them, Kirk is sitting on a bed pulling his boot up, and Deela is brushing her hair .
Yes, I know that scene well. I was wondering if she got pregnant due to that encounter.
Old September 6 2013, 10:04 PM   #52
Nine of Four
Commander

Nightdiamond wrote:
Yes, I know that scene well. I was wondering if she got pregnant due to that encounter
jpv2000 wrote:
Nightdiamond wrote:
No doubt in my mind.....
Old September 7 2013, 12:23 AM   #53
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I wonder how that slipped through 60's censors to begin with. They could have just extracted the material they needed.

They made it point to use the word "mate".

The fact that they're in Kirk's quarters where they showed his bed makes it very suggestive.

Kirk is shown basically giving in and they share a passionate kiss (they're both standing). When they return to the scene afterwards, Kirk is sitting on the bed pulling up his boots, and gives like an exasperated sigh he just did something . Deela is brushing her hair-again. Wayyyy too suggestive.

The funny thing, is Voyager did the lame continuity thing also. Janeway and Paris actually did it and had children --reptile salmander children.

Never mentioned it again.
Old September 7 2013, 02:03 PM   #54
Nine of Four
Commander

^ ^ Tru dat!!
Old September 7 2013, 02:55 PM   #55
jpv2000
Captain

The funny thing, is Voyager did the lame continuity thing also. Janeway and Paris actually did it and had children --reptile salmander children.

I don't believe I would have ever mentioned it again either.
Old September 9 2013, 10:36 PM   #56
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I don't believe I would have ever mentioned it again either.
lol

It is kind of interesting how 90's Voyager pulled a TOS style 'never again refer to this happening' thing with that. It didn't even seem to phase them.

On a slightly serious note, their children were supposed to be advanced---just as intelligent as their parents. Wonder why they didnt bring them back and restore them like they did Janeway and paris.

Despite the odd situation it would have created.