Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 9 2013, 07:51 PM   #16
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Why the lack of Classic characters?

^ Yeah, that sort of complaint is always kind of funny!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Not only was it unexpected, but, that kind of thing has always been "pooh-poohed" around here, because of the difference in quality of the film clips, "They'll never insert older clips, or insert new actors into older clips, because it would look awful in today's HD"
I didn't think it looked especially great, particularly the footage with Hartnell. That said, for what it was it was tolerable. Not great (on a technical level), but tolerable.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Let's face it, classic Doctor Who rarely excelled on a technical level.
Old September 9 2013, 08:22 PM   #19
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

^ That's true.

allyngibson.net
Old September 9 2013, 09:25 PM   #20
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Not only was it unexpected, but, that kind of thing has always been "pooh-poohed" around here, because of the difference in quality of the film clips, "They'll never insert older clips, or insert new actors into older clips, because it would look awful in today's HD"
I didn't think it looked especially great, particularly the footage with Hartnell. That said, for what it was it was tolerable. Not great (on a technical level), but tolerable.
Oh, sure, it didn't look great at all, but, they knew most of us would understand and accept the disparity, and actually, in some cases, the newer insert was degraded in quality so it looked less bad.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:17 PM   #21
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Been reading on some posts here talking about having McGann instead of Hurt. This could have actually been a great idea. Having a doctor as the actual villain, would be great. Would show us that the time war was so catastrophic, a romantic, young, and polite man would become bitter and do some things so bad, all future doctors look down on him. I think that would have had much more of an impact, plus McGann would have played an outstanding evil doctor. He could wear his 2010 redesigned outfit. That would have been great, plus we'd have gotten our fill of the classic series.

As for old companions, I think Jamie should return for one episode outside the 50th. The doctor and his assistant at the time would go to Scotland somewhere in the lifespan of Jamie's, and the Doctor would bump into him as an old man, but of course after the events of the War Games, Jamie has no memory of the doctor, plus he's regenerated like ten times since their last meeting. The episode would go with the doctor becoming a bit emotional in the episode, and Jamie isn't the nicest guy to him as some war has made him a bit more bitter. But a bit like the Master in Utopia, he starts to get flashbacks of his time in the TARDIS (plus we get to see old scenes from the sixties!!!!!). The episode would be a little bit like that Van Gogh one, you know, more emotional and such. Eventually, some alien or threat (maybe a full historical episode?) end up with Jamie getting shot or something, and he dies in the Doctors arms, and in the last moments remembers the Doctor and everything. Then Jamie dies in the Doctors arms and the doctor starts crying. So yeah, basically it would be a very emotional episode and a good nod to the classic series.
Would have been great with Matt Smith due to the fact he's so alike to the second Doctor, but unfortunately that won't happen. But it could work with Capaldi too.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:25 PM   #22
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Been reading on some posts here talking about having McGann instead of Hurt. This could have actually been a great idea. Having a doctor as the actual villain, would be great. Would show us that the time war was so catastrophic, a romantic, young, and polite man would become bitter and do some things so bad, all future doctors look down on him. I think that would have had much more of an impact, plus McGann would have played an outstanding evil doctor. He could wear his 2010 redesigned outfit. That would have been great, plus we'd have gotten our fill of the classic series.
How would you feel if they turned your favorite Doctor into a villain, so vile that the other Doctors prefer to think he never existed?
Old September 9 2013, 10:27 PM   #23
diankra
Commodore

The 'old Jamie' storyline's been done, in a 6th Doctor DWM comic strip back in 87. Even the dying heroically bit.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:29 PM   #24
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
How would you feel if they turned your favorite Doctor into a villain, so vile that the other Doctors prefer to think he never existed?
Joint favourite. Slightly closer to second than first actually..........

But I think if done right and written well, it could work. Would bring back some edgy and unpredictable nature back to the show. Besides, I'd just be glad Paul McGann was back and written well.
Old September 9 2013, 10:30 PM   #25
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
The 'old Jamie' storyline's been done, in a 6th Doctor DWM comic strip back in 87. Even the dying heroically bit.
Really? Sounds good. Would be good if it was made into an episode though. Remember, Human Nature/Family of Blood and Blink originated or at least heavily based on Doctor Who comics, and look how popular they were.
Old September 9 2013, 10:32 PM   #26
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

As for old companions, I think Jamie should return for one episode outside the 50th. The doctor and his assistant at the time would go to Scotland somewhere in the lifespan of Jamie's, and the Doctor would bump into him as an old man, but of course after the events of the War Games, Jamie has no memory of the doctor, plus he's regenerated like ten times since their last meeting. The episode would go with the doctor becoming a bit emotional in the episode, and Jamie isn't the nicest guy to him as some war has made him a bit more bitter. But a bit like the Master in Utopia, he starts to get flashbacks of his time in the TARDIS (plus we get to see old scenes from the sixties!!!!!). The episode would be a little bit like that Van Gogh one, you know, more emotional and such. Eventually, some alien or threat (maybe a full historical episode?) end up with Jamie getting shot or something, and he dies in the Doctors arms, and in the last moments remembers the Doctor and everything. Then Jamie dies in the Doctors arms and the doctor starts crying. So yeah, basically it would be a very emotional episode and a good nod to the classic series.
I plotted out a PDA about a decade ago that was very similar to this. Jamie, now in his mid-fifties, lives in Revolutionary New York City while it's under British occupation. He and the sixth Doctor find themselves on opposite sides; Jamie has become a staunch Loyalist (he remembers how close he came to dying at Culloden), while the sixth Doctor, who sides with upsetting the old order, sides with the rebelling colonials. Jamie never remembers that he traveled with the second Doctor or met the sixth Doctor.

allyngibson.net
Old September 9 2013, 10:33 PM   #27
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Given that the Eighth Doctor has already been shown onscreen in the likes of The Next Doctor, the idea of an incarnation who The Doctor has blanked out and isn't entitled to be called The Doctor isn't really applicable to him. I would love to see McGann back but the Hurt incarnation doesn't seem to work with a previously known Doctor.
Old September 9 2013, 10:34 PM   #28
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I plotted out a PDA about a decade ago that was very similar to this. Jamie, now in his mid-fifties, lives in Revolutionary New York City while it's under British occupation. He and the sixth Doctor find themselves on opposite sides; Jamie has become a staunch Loyalist (he remembers how close he came to dying at Culloden), while the sixth Doctor, who sides with upsetting the old order, sides with the rebelling colonials. Jamie never remembers that he traveled with the second Doctor or met the sixth Doctor.
Sounds an awful lot like that comic DianKra mentioned.
Old September 9 2013, 10:37 PM   #29
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Given that the Eighth Doctor has already been shown onscreen in the likes of The Next Doctor, the idea of an incarnation who The Doctor has blanked out and isn't entitled to be called The Doctor isn't really applicable to him. I would love to see McGann back but the Hurt incarnation doesn't seem to work with a previously known Doctor.
He wouldn't be completely forgotten like Hurt, he'd just be "Here's the Sixth Doctor, wacky clothes bla bla bla, here's the seventh doctor, the intellectual type near the end, oh, and here's the eight doctor..... andway, the ninth doctor who wore bla bla bla..."

Plus anything that happened in his eighth incarnation is never really mentioned much.
Old September 9 2013, 10:52 PM   #30
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Sounds an awful lot like that comic DianKra mentioned.
I hadn't read "The World Shapers" at the time, and the PDA wasn't at all compatible with it.

In "The World Shapers," Jamie does remember (the mindwipe didn't work), and he lives alone in the Highlands because everyone thinks he's mad. It's an incredibly fanwanky piece of work from Grant Morrison (Marinus=Mondas, and it explains a reference in "The Invasion"). However, it does have some interesting ideas, like the final fate of the Cybermen and what happens to a dying TARDIS.

Me? I just wanted to write a story about the Doctor and the American Revolution.

allyngibson.net