Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 9 2013, 11:46 AM   #76
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Why didn't Chekov ever make Captain?

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Richard Baker wrote: View Post
Whether is attained Captian's rank or not, he did do something noteworthy- the USS Chekov (NCC-57302) was a Springfield-class starship shown on screen in the graveyard in 'The Best of Both Worlds'...
True. I had forgotten about that.
Are there any pictures of a model with that name? All I saw were blurry, burning hulks.
Old September 9 2013, 04:39 PM   #77
Praetor
Vice Admiral

None clear enough to see the name, that I'm aware of.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 04:53 PM   #78
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Not everyone makes captain in a navy. Fact of military service. Another thing to consider: Starfleet may have downsized after Khitomer as was proposed in TUC during the mission brief. If that's the case, there would be fewer billets and may have kept several officers in the same rank or position for years. Something similar is currently happening in the U.S. Navy. They're even having to shorten the rotation time for ship command positions so that it gives more people a shot at being CO.
Old September 9 2013, 05:33 PM   #79
jpv2000
Captain

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Not everyone makes captain in a navy. Fact of military service. Another thing to consider: Starfleet may have downsized after Khitomer as was proposed in TUC during the mission brief. If that's the case, there would be fewer billets and may have kept several officers in the same rank or position for years.
I would hope not. Even with the Klingons off the enemy list Starfleet should know there will be other non-friendly forces out there.

Something similar is currently happening in the U.S. Navy. They're even having to shorten the rotation time for ship command positions so that it gives more people a shot at being CO.
Sad but true. We should know better by now as well.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:58 AM   #80
Pauln6
Commodore

Sran wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
The real question is why Uhura never made captain.
Saying things like "the channel is open, Captain" doesn't exactly distinguish one from her fellow officers and earn a command. And who's to say she aspired to such a thing? Recall that she transferred out of command early in the five-year mission so she could focus on her communications duties full time.

--Sran
Uhura was limited by the writing in that she had very few opportunities to shine but I always felt she had more of a command presence than Chekov. Admittedly he was quite green in TOS but even in STII, I thought his command skills were pretty weak. Uhura in STIII on the other hand? Yes Ma'am!

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:55 PM   #81
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Uhura was limited by the writing in that she had very few opportunities to shine but I always felt she had more of a command presence than Chekov. Admittedly he was quite green in TOS but even in STII, I thought his command skills were pretty weak. Uhura in STIII on the other hand? Yes Ma'am!
Have to agree about how Uhura was written, given the time in which she was created. I would also feel more comfortable following her orders than Chekov's, can't really say why though.
Old September 10 2013, 04:31 PM   #82
Lance
Fleet Captain

Not everyone makes captain in a navy. Fact of military service. Another thing to consider: Starfleet may have downsized after Khitomer as was proposed in TUC during the mission brief. If that's the case, there would be fewer billets and may have kept several officers in the same rank or position for years. Something similar is currently happening in the U.S. Navy. They're even having to shorten the rotation time for ship command positions so that it gives more people a shot at being CO.
The reality of promotion -- in many jobs, not just necessarily in the armed forces -- is that sometimes a rapid career progression reaches a bottleneck where things can't move forward any further until a later date. So while somebody might make rapid progress up the long ladder, they'll reach a point where no matter what happens thing will stagnate for a bit.

I imagine something similar happens to a lot of Star Trek characters. We see them reach Commander rank, some of them even make Captain, but their roles in the hierarchy are essentially unchanged. Somebody like Chekov might have got to XO on the Reliant but simply had his career stall for a few years afterwards (likely he was eventually promoted sometime after the events in Generations).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:57 PM   #83
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I still enjoy the notion that Sulu was able to make him his XO on Excelsior for a while, after TUC, as portrayed in "The Sundered."
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:20 PM   #84
jpv2000
Captain

Praetor wrote: View Post
I still enjoy the notion that Sulu was able to make him his XO on Excelsior for a while, after TUC, as portrayed in "The Sundered."
Agreed.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:19 AM   #85
Leto_II
Lieutenant Commander

He also served as Excelsior XO for a brief period in 2290, not long after Sulu took command, before returning to the Enterprise-A (as chronicled in the novel The Captain's Table: War Dragons).
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:34 AM   #86
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Have to agree about how Uhura was written, given the time in which she was created. I would also feel more comfortable following her orders than Chekov's, can't really say why though.
Face it, a tribble has more command presence than Chekov.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 02:16 AM   #87
Kooz
Lieutenant

View Kooz's Twitter Profile

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
In future Soviet Russia, Captain makes you.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this. Funniest thing I've read all day--thanks!
Old October 11 2013, 08:14 AM   #88
Leto_II
Lieutenant Commander

For any Elder Scrolls fans out there:

"In Soviet Russia, Oblivion Gate closes YOU."
Old October 11 2013, 08:47 AM   #89
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Not everyone makes captain in a navy. Fact of military service. Another thing to consider: Starfleet may have downsized after Khitomer as was proposed in TUC during the mission brief. If that's the case, there would be fewer billets and may have kept several officers in the same rank or position for years.
I would hope not. Even with the Klingons off the enemy list Starfleet should know there will be other non-friendly forces out there.

Something similar is currently happening in the U.S. Navy. They're even having to shorten the rotation time for ship command positions so that it gives more people a shot at being CO.
Sad but true. We should know better by now as well.
From the available evidence, Starfleet underwent some major changes between TUC and TNG. The sheer number of ships seem to have increased, quite possibly in tandem with the growth of Federation members. Consider--the vast majority of Starfleet we saw were Humans, Tellarites, Andorians, Vulcans and Caitians. Within another seven decades we were seeing lots more we'd never heard of before--Trill, Zakdorns, Bolians, Bynar, etc. I would suggest this means a greatly increased industrial base, especially since the Khitomer Accords almost certainly resulted in greater trade with the Klingon Empire and its sphere of influence. So--far greater industrial base coupled with many more potential members of Starfleet. Yet at the same time, no major wars as far as we can tell. We get references to two conflicts--with the Tholians and with the Cardassians--neither seemingly that intense. More on the order of rather brief Vietnams or perhaps the Gulf War rather than World War Two (which in this scenario would equate to the Dominion War).

So up until the Dominion War, seems likely promotion was fairly slow. And Chekhov was quite junior, with a couple of great big black marks on his record (like stealing the Enterprise).

Yet if Star Trek: Renegades ever reaches the stage where we consider it canon, Chekhov did indeed become a Captain. And is currently an Admiral!

The USS Chekhov btw I suspect is named for the playwright.
Old October 11 2013, 09:28 AM   #90
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Let's face it... when you're XO of a ship and manage to let it get hijacked by a wrathful madman who you just happened to forget about who steals a weapon of mass destruction which creates a cold war style conflict between the Federation and Klingon Empire, your file isn't at the top of the promotion list.