Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 9 2013, 04:26 AM   #121
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

Re: What Happens After Death

Awesome research. And U.C. Berkeley is like 40 minutes away from where I live.
Old September 9 2013, 02:51 PM   #122
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

thestrangequark wrote: View Post

And isn't that a wonderful, beautiful thing? A few pounds of mushy, grey and white and pink that is the most complex organ we know of, with more neurons than there are stars in the galaxy; that is able, through chemistry and electricity, to observe, learn, communicate, create, and love. Brains are cool.
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Also: sexy.
^Only the clever ones.
Well that certainly got the two of you covered then, seeing as how smart the two of you are

I'm sort of with J. on this one, I'm open to the idea. But there really is no evidence for any kinda of afterlife or similar. I find the concept of reincarnation fascinating, but ultimately we only truly know that this is the life we got. This is our shot. All done when this is done.
Old September 9 2013, 03:13 PM   #123
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Fascinating is that the brain just works but it has no idea how. Consciousness is completely detached from the processes. If it weren't, we would automatically know what the hell is going on in our bodies.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:18 PM   #124
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It may be that we simply don't "know" yet how to do that. A vast majority of our brains are unused. There's a lot of room for expansion there. It won't happen overnight, but I believe that the future of human evolution will not be physical so much as it will be mental and cognitive. Breaking into unused parts of the brain will yield some amazing results. If there is a God (and I personally believe there is), we will know that Supreme Being/ascend once we have achieved that full potential (one of the pillars of Gnosticism). Now we just have to figure out how to do that without using psychotropic drugs that could physically destroy the brain and the rest of the body in the process.
Gnosticism: ...To rise to God, the Gnostic must reach the "knowledge" which mixes philosophy, metaphysics, curiosity, culture, knowledge, and secrets of history and universe.
Old September 9 2013, 03:25 PM   #125
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Fascinating is that the brain just works but it has no idea how. Consciousness is completely detached from the processes. If it weren't, we would automatically know what the hell is going on in our bodies.
Consciousness is the the result of the process, it is not at all detached. This is obvious because we can alter consciousness by altering the brain functions. It is also untrue that "we have no idea how" the brain works. We know quite a lot about how the brain works. Not everything, much is still to be learned, of course, but we know a lot.
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
It may be that we simply don't "know" yet how to do that. A vast majority of our brains are unused. There's a lot of room for expansion there. It won't happen overnight, but I believe that the future of evolution will not be physical so much as it will be mental and cognitive. Breaking into unused parts of the brain will yield some amazing results. Now we just have to figure out how to do that without using psychotropic drugs that could physically destroy the brain and the rest of the body in the process.
Um...no. We use all our brains. Every single bit. That whole "we only use 10% of our brains and have so much potential to unlock" thing is a complete myth.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:26 PM   #126
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

Those who say there's nothing after death, aren't you a little bit puzzled by what happens to your perception of nothing? You suddenly cease to exist, how's that going to be? It's paradoxical. How can you experience non-existence? Or how can you not experience existence?

I think that paradox is the basis for any belief in a life after death.
I think it's just because people can't fathom it.

You experience "not existing" before birth simply because you do not exist in the physical world yet.

You also experience a lapse in waking consciousness while sleeping or in a coma. You might be "alive" while sleeping, but what also can occur is closing your eyes and waking up 8 hours later and the entire experience may have felt as though it only lasted for one minute.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:40 PM   #127
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

To expand on the "we only use 10% of our brains" myth: this probably started because we tend to actively use only a percentage of our brains at any given time. This doesn't mean that the rest goes unused, just that at some times certain areas of the brain are more active than others. The bizarre experiences caused by psychotropic drugs are not due to activation of some usually inactive or "locked" part of the brain, but usually due to inhibition or disinhibition of certain brain functions. For example, as I said before, there is a part of the brain that is responsible for letting you know where you ends and everything else begins. Many drugs can inhibit this function, resulting in the user feeling as one with the universe or god (this effect can also be recreated with electric stimulation, and can be the result of seizures). There are also natural inhibitory functions in the brain, i.e. it is the job of some parts of the brain to inhibit other parts of the brain depending on our state of consciousness. Inhibiting an inhibitory function can result in experiences like hallucinations, or hyper-vivid dreams, paranoia, etc. So while only 20 or 25% of our brains may be active at any given moment, every bit is used, and the consequences of disrupting the balance of inhibitory and active functions, having more of the brain functioning at once, is usually seizure.

Old September 9 2013, 03:52 PM   #128
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Consciousness is the the result of the process, it is not at all detached. This is obvious because we can alter consciousness by altering the brain functions. It is also untrue that "we have no idea how" the brain works. We know quite a lot about how the brain works. Not everything, much is still to be learned, of course, but we know a lot.
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
It may be that we simply don't "know" yet how to do that. A vast majority of our brains are unused. There's a lot of room for expansion there. It won't happen overnight, but I believe that the future of evolution will not be physical so much as it will be mental and cognitive. Breaking into unused parts of the brain will yield some amazing results. Now we just have to figure out how to do that without using psychotropic drugs that could physically destroy the brain and the rest of the body in the process.
Um...no. We use all our brains. Every single bit. That whole "we only use 10% of our brains and have so much potential to unlock" thing is a complete myth.
Amazing how people simply refuse to learn how stuff really works in order to hold on their meaningless fluff.
Old September 9 2013, 03:59 PM   #129
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^It's shocking to me how many people do believe that myth, though. It's been perpetuated by Scientology and in pop culture a lot, I think. It's just that it is so easy to disprove!

Old September 9 2013, 05:04 PM   #130
iguana_tonante
Admiral

It's just that it is so easy to disprove!
If people were interested in learning. Sadly, they are not.
Old September 9 2013, 05:24 PM   #131
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

But learning is one of the most fun things in life!
Old September 9 2013, 05:32 PM   #132
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Hell would be suffering in agony forever, and heaven would be boring as shit.
Then the afterlife is no different than the during life.
Old September 9 2013, 07:02 PM   #133
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I would recommend having a conversation with a priest, an imam, or a rabbi.
Good thing, we have those on the board. J.?
J. Allen wrote: View Post
At your service.
LOL I soooo love double meanings. A pity this board has no rating system - you'd have gotten a huge thumb up from me

Maybe we should call Reverend Kathy as well?
Old September 10 2013, 01:20 PM   #134
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Those who say there's nothing after death, aren't you a little bit puzzled by what happens to your perception of nothing? You suddenly cease to exist, how's that going to be? It's paradoxical. How can you experience non-existence? Or how can you not experience existence?

You experience "not existing" before birth simply because you do not exist in the physical world yet.

You also experience a lapse in waking consciousness while sleeping or in a coma. You might be "alive" while sleeping, but what also can occur is closing your eyes and waking up 8 hours later and the entire experience may have felt as though it only lasted for one minute.
But that's you again reflecting upon your unconsciousness when you are conscious. And you do dream while sleeping or in a coma, you just forget about it later on.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:49 PM   #135
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post

But that's you again reflecting upon your unconsciousness when you are conscious. And you do dream while sleeping or in a coma, you just forget about it later on.
Yes, I know that. You don't constantly dream though. Mainly in REM sleep.

Either way, if there is lapse in consciousness and you cannot recall what happened in those moments or hours, then in essence it would seem as though...for a time...you experienced what would appear to be nothingness.

I wasn't talking about what it IS, I was talking about what it seems like to the person.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote