Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 8 2013, 04:14 PM   #16
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: "Kirk, You Do This, You'll Never Sit in the Captain's Chair Again.

Agreed with most of the posters here. Styles' warning may have reflected some personal animosity/arrogance, but to my mind it's on par with:

"If you go out in that rain, you'll get wet!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Sran
Fleet Captain

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
Ya know?...I wonder what ever happened to the Black Female Captain (was she named?) of the Saratoga at the Beginning of STIV. I don't really see how she could have reacted differently to what happened to her ship.
In the novels, she's promoted to Fleet Admiral by the time of GEN and speaks at Kirk's memorial service. Though we never saw her on screen before TVH, she served on the Enterprise with Kirk and credited him with encouraging her to explore her potential as a leader.
Old September 8 2013, 05:47 PM   #18
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
In the first six Trek movies, all Starfleet captains are shown as incompetent losers to better show how awesome Kirk was. Picard was the first Starfleet captain to be shown in a positive light after Kirk in a movie.
You could make the argument that those were all plot devices too.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 06:10 PM   #19
austen_pierce
Captain

It's the verbal equivalent of a shot across the bow. Listening to Styles' tone when he makes he statement / warning, he's sincere, just short of pleading with Kirk not to proceed. The man may have been smug and fit to serve only in "the hind end of space" but at that moment, he was being genuine.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 07:25 PM   #20
jpv2000
Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
Ya know?...I wonder what ever happened to the Black Female Captain (was she named?) of the Saratoga at the Beginning of STIV. I don't really see how she could have reacted differently to what happened to her ship.
In the novels, she's promoted to Fleet Admiral by the time of GEN and speaks at Kirk's memorial service. Though we never saw her on screen before TVH, she served on the Enterprise with Kirk and credited him with encouraging her to explore her potential as a leader.
Very cool. Was this in the novel for Generations or another novel?
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 07:28 PM   #21
Sran
Fleet Captain

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Very cool. Was this in the novel for Generations or another novel?
It's actually in the Crucible series, mainly Spock's novel during the scenes that touch on Kirk's death and the subsequent memorial service. The character's name is Madge Sinclair.

--Sran
Old September 8 2013, 07:31 PM   #22
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Really? Because that's the actor's name.

Memory Alpha may be useful here: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_...ratoga_Captain
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 08:41 PM   #23
Sran
Fleet Captain

^Yes. They used her actual name as her character's name. Admiral Sinclair eventually married another woman and changed her name to Sinclair-Alexander, which is what I think she went by around the time of Generations. According to the Crucible books, Kirk was planning to get together with her for dinner after the Enterprise-B launch was over because her partner was a gourmet chef.

--Sran
Old September 9 2013, 02:49 PM   #24
Lance
Fleet Captain

To be completely fair to Styles, he was right. Kirk never did sit in that particular Captain's Chair ever again... you know, because he went and blew up the ship.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:16 PM   #25
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Did Captain Styles ever sit in the Captain's chair again?

I know Sulu didn't get the Excelsior until after STV. Still it can't be good on your record to have your ship disabled under your nose.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:30 PM   #26
Sran
Fleet Captain

CommishSleer wrote: View Post

I know Sulu didn't get the Excelsior until after STV. Still it can't be good on your record to have your ship disabled under your nose.
In the novels, he was made captain of the Exeter after the Excelsior was taken out of service and refitted with a more conventional warp drive. Ironically, Sulu had served as the Exeter first officer prior to TWOK. Styles' being outsmarted by Kirk and Scott made him a laughingstock throughout the fleet, as other command and flag officers started calling him "Drydock Styles" and "Styles Without Substance" behind his back.

--Sran
Old September 9 2013, 05:40 PM   #27
jpv2000
Captain

^Yes. They used her actual name as her character's name. Admiral Sinclair eventually married another woman and changed her name to Sinclair-Alexander, which is what I think she went by around the time of Generations. According to the Crucible books, Kirk was planning to get together with her for dinner after the Enterprise-B launch was over because her partner was a gourmet chef.
Thanks. Awesome info.
Old September 9 2013, 05:42 PM   #28
jpv2000
Captain

In the novels, he was made captain of the Exeter after the Excelsior was taken out of service and refitted with a more conventional warp drive. Ironically, Sulu had served as the Exeter first officer prior to TWOK. Styles' being outsmarted by Kirk and Scott made him a laughingstock throughout the fleet, as other command and flag officers started calling him "Drydock Styles" and "Styles Without Substance" behind his back.

Even more awesome info. I've really got to catch up on my TOS novels.
Old September 9 2013, 05:56 PM   #29
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

I think it's time for me to start back at the beginning of the novelverse and work my way forward again because I remember none of this.

That said, I think that's a little unfair for Styles. Yeah, he was priggish and a little too sure of his prototype's capabilities, but really, what reason would he have to suspect his chief engineer -- a captain of engineering with a long and loyal career -- of malfeasance? What Starfleet CO would behave differently?

Of course, when the base went to Yellow Alert following the Enterprise's powerup, that might have when he started to wonder about Captain Scott. But at that point, the situation was rapidly evolving and there wasn't much time to do more than sigh at the computer's cheerful "Good Morning, Captain."
Old September 9 2013, 06:38 PM   #30
Sran
Fleet Captain

You can read about it in the Apocrypha section of his Memory Alpha page. It looks like I had a few of the details wrong, but the basic story still stands. He was humiliated by what Kirk and Scott had done.

--Sran