TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 7 2013, 12:48 AM   #286
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Every work of fiction about the future is really about the present.
Correct.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 12:52 AM   #287
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

By that asinine belief, every work of fiction, period, is really about the present. Hell, even non-fiction, since the only way that's even remotely true is if you really stretch logic to the breaking point.

It's the same kind of stupidity that college professors use when they try to explain all the intricate, overcomplicated thoughts Shakespeare had behind the writing every single letter of his works.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 02:38 AM   #288
Mr Light
Admiral

I thought it was a very solid finale. Better than "Devil's Hands" and "Overclocked" and definitely better than "Wild Green Yonder".

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 05:39 AM   #289
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post

It's the same kind of stupidity that college professors use when they try to explain all the intricate, overcomplicated thoughts Shakespeare had behind the writing every single letter of his works.
All the time in high school of me saying "How do you know what he means? Have you met him?!"

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I thought it was a very solid finale. Better than "Devil's Hands" and "Overclocked" and definitely better than "Wild Green Yonder".
I agree. This one, Devil's Hands, Overclocked (I'd like it more with less Bender) and Wild Green Yonder was just odd.
Old September 7 2013, 06:24 AM   #290
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Old September 7 2013, 03:54 PM   #291
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I know everything is derivitive of something else, but all I could think of while watching the finale was Stargate SG-1's finale, "Unending."
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 10:10 PM   #292
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I would revise that to say, every work of fiction about the future is about the human condition in general, removed from the facts of the present.

Yes, most of great science fiction parallels problems of the present. But not specific elements of the present. Not specific people who are alive in present day or specific organizations. The more verbatim specific the analogies get, the less they tend to work. For instance, the environment episode from TNG.

I watched a few first season episodes and my feeling is that the premises for the episodes are awesome but the jokes aren't funny. I think the reason I like the newer episodes better is that they focus on letting the jokes flow from the characters based on science fiction tropes. Not just making specific references to specific things in present day.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 10:26 PM   #293
Christopher
Writer

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Yes, most of great science fiction parallels problems of the present. But not specific elements of the present. Not specific people who are alive in present day or specific organizations.
That depends on the particular work. A lot of characters in classic SF have been allegories for the Communists or the Nazis or Joseph McCarthy or what-have-you.

I watched a few first season episodes and my feeling is that the premises for the episodes are awesome but the jokes aren't funny. I think the reason I like the newer episodes better is that they focus on letting the jokes flow from the characters based on science fiction tropes. Not just making specific references to specific things in present day.
That's not an early/late divide. Just about any era of Futurama has a mix of stories that use science fiction ideas to drive a character-based narrative (e.g. "Parasites Lost," "Time Keeps on Slippin'," or "The Sting") and stories that are just riffs on present-day trends with vague trappings of future technology (like "Raging Bender," "Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV," or "Attack of the Killer App").

You say you've only seen the first and last seasons so far. Well, the last season has a lot of the strengths that developed after the first season, but those strengths arose far sooner, and the last season is not as strong overall as the intermediate seasons were.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 01:58 AM   #294
Poinsettia
Commodore

I thought the finale was sweet. Fry and Leela get married and grow old together.
Poinsettia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:40 AM   #295
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

Came across this and thought it was cool.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:50 AM   #296
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ Hell, I couldn't even do the pattern on his jacket let alone the rest.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 02:36 AM   #297
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I have a question about the finale.

They walked all over the planet, they walked on water to get places and didn't sink in. Yet when they drank their wine the wine moved. How did that work?
Old September 9 2013, 02:39 AM   #298
Christopher
Writer

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I have a question about the finale.

They walked all over the planet, they walked on water to get places and didn't sink in. Yet when they drank their wine the wine moved. How did that work?
Chronitons are lighter than air, so they floated upward, flowing around the objects Fry and Leela interacted with, but not sinking down to affect things below their feet.

(Just read it in the Professor's voice, and it'll work.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:39 AM   #299
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

But the bubble didn't go up 260 stories. :-p
Old September 9 2013, 03:45 AM   #300
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Fabulous finale, so much for fitting than the others. My wife and I were teary-eyed.

I have one and only one issue!
When the Professor takes Zoidberg's ten dollars and then resets time...why doesn't Zoidberg have the ten dollars again? Later, when Fry goes in and steals the diamonds, he keeps taking the same one over and over again. So what was up with Zoidberg's ten dollar bill?