RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,573
Posts: 5,514,508
Members: 25,151
Currently online: 494
Newest member: slarlac249

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 5 2013, 07:11 PM   #451
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Location: Devon, England
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Apparently Ferre's "sources" tell him there were going to be press conferences in March and July to announce the finds but they were put off for some reason. What that actually means, of course is "Doctor Who Online posted some gubbins about a non-new series announcement, which never materialized, in March" and "Bleeding Cool hinted at an imminent announcement in June."
Well I was first told (in person) a faily detailed version of the story about 15 months ago, to the point that the expectation that that was what DWO were on about wasn't inplausable.

The tally did double after that point, but I wouldn't be at all surprised there is something real at the root of it.

I'm almost past caring at this point!
__________________
"Weaselling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals - except the weasels" Homer Jay Simpson
Rarewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 07:24 PM   #452
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

The rumors are even older than that. I didn't mean to suggest that that wasn't what DWO were on about; probably it was. I just don't think there was ever any press conference planned, and that Ferre has no more evidence than people imagining an announcement was imminent.

There are, unfortunately, a lot of real things that could be at the root of the rumors without any actual return. There's Paul Vanezis' list for BBC Worldwide of 44 episodes that might still exist, which was apparently the same number of episodes found in one version of the rumor; the complete Hartnell interview, which might well be the seed from which grew the mention of "the full Hartnell" in the original Bleeding Cool report; the recreation of classic episodes, some missing, in the Gatiss docudrama; the animation of missing episodes; and various actual investigations that came to nothing, including the ones in which Vanezis was engaged in recent months, which prevented him issuing absolute denials of any activity. Maybe there's something more than that going on, but I'm still not expecting anything, and certainly not 90+ episodes, or even 17.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:46 PM   #453
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Today's entertainment: https://twitter.com/PaulVanezis/stat...19881246244864. (The recent conversation, not the original tweet.) Or, if you don't feel like clicking: fans convince themselves via Google searches that Sierra Leone's archive, which once held some missing Hartnell episodes from season three, was not destroyed despite archive researchers reporting it was; archive researcher is snidely dismissive; fans get hurt feelings, look for loopholes. Another day in crazy rumor land...
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:59 PM   #454
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Today's entertainment: https://twitter.com/PaulVanezis/stat...19881246244864. (The recent conversation, not the original tweet.) Or, if you don't feel like clicking: fans convince themselves via Google searches that Sierra Leone's archive, which once held some missing Hartnell episodes from season three, was not destroyed despite archive researchers reporting it was; archive researcher is snidely dismissive; fans get hurt feelings, look for loopholes. Another day in crazy rumor land...
Well, if it's a known fact that those Sierra Leone Episodes were floating around as burnt cinders, surely that proves they've recovered those cinders and are working on restoring them When will the lies end and they'll finally release the damned epi sodes <Sorry, I tried to keep a straight face through the whole rant>
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:02 PM   #455
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

I pity Paul, I really do.

He could get up and say "right, off to brush my teeth", and fans would take it to mean "something has been found".
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:18 PM   #456
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I pity Paul, I really do.

He could get up and say "right, off to brush my teeth", and fans would take it to mean "something has been found".
Yeah. In a perfect world he wouldn't be as snide and grumpy as he is, but my God, the lengths people will go to to convince themselves something is up. And they genuinely have no clue why he's short-tempered when asked to issue a tenth denial to satisfy someone's sense of appropriate wording.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:05 AM   #457
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Today's entertainment: https://twitter.com/PaulVanezis/stat...19881246244864. (The recent conversation, not the original tweet.) Or, if you don't feel like clicking: fans convince themselves via Google searches that Sierra Leone's archive, which once held some missing Hartnell episodes from season three, was not destroyed despite archive researchers reporting it was; archive researcher is snidely dismissive; fans get hurt feelings, look for loopholes. Another day in crazy rumor land...
The one thing that puzzles me about Sierra Leone is the absolute certainty by Vanezis about what was held in the television station there as late as 1999. Is the paperwork that incontrovertible? Is there physical evidence that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that there were Hartnells there to be recovered thirty-five years after they aired?

Perhaps someday we'll know what happened in Sierra Leone.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:27 AM   #458
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

I was confused about that too. But looking again at Vanezis' posts on the topic, I don't think he was certain that anything was there in 1999, just that it was there in the 1980s (because it was shown illegally after the network's contract expired) and that it isn't there now. The assumption is that it was still there when the storage facility was destroyed in the civil war, presumably because the network isn't likely to have finally complied with the requirement to return or destroy prints after ignoring it into the 80s. The remaining question is what verifies the out-of-contract broadcast in the 80s, but I'm sure there's reasonably conclusive evidence for it.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:37 AM   #459
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Yes... there Sierra Leone thing is just that they may still have had copies in 1990, but definitely didn't in 2000 (approx). It's most likely that they were destroyed during the war, possible that they were already go e, remotely possible that some might have been salvaged... but probably not. And almost certainly not the entire lot (which would only be 22 episodes anyway).
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 02:41 AM   #460
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

diankra wrote: View Post
Yes... there Sierra Leone thing is just that they may still have had copies in 1990, but definitely didn't in 2000 (approx). It's most likely that they were destroyed during the war, possible that they were already go e, remotely possible that some might have been salvaged... but probably not. And almost certainly not the entire lot (which would only be 22 episodes anyway).
We would be sitting on 88 missing episodes instead of 106...
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:12 AM   #461
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Candlelight wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
Yes... there Sierra Leone thing is just that they may still have had copies in 1990, but definitely didn't in 2000 (approx). It's most likely that they were destroyed during the war, possible that they were already go e, remotely possible that some might have been salvaged... but probably not. And almost certainly not the entire lot (which would only be 22 episodes anyway).
We would be sitting on 88 missing episodes instead of 106...
84, as it would have included Smugglers.
Yep, it would still have been a wonderful find... a bit over 20% of the missing episodes, including five entirely missing (as Galaxy 4 3 hadn't been found then) stories. But it didn't work out.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 11:23 PM   #462
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

diankra wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
Yes... there Sierra Leone thing is just that they may still have had copies in 1990, but definitely didn't in 2000 (approx). It's most likely that they were destroyed during the war, possible that they were already go e, remotely possible that some might have been salvaged... but probably not. And almost certainly not the entire lot (which would only be 22 episodes anyway).
We would be sitting on 88 missing episodes instead of 106...
84, as it would have included Smugglers.
Yep, it would still have been a wonderful find... a bit over 20% of the missing episodes, including five entirely missing (as Galaxy 4 3 hadn't been found then) stories. But it didn't work out.
I included the Smugglers, but left out Galaxy 4 3 and The Celestial Toymaker 1 2 3.

We might also have had complete copies of The War Machines 3 & 4!
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 12:09 AM   #463
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Today's drama is that David Stead, who returned an episode of "The Wheel in Space" in the 1980s, has popped up to say he believes the rumors are true. (And to reveal that he's harboring a grudge against Paul Vanezis for misleading him when Stead asked about the 2011 recoveries while they were still a rumor.) Substantively this isn't different from Ian Levine, also involved in past recoveries, saying that he believed (and then that he didn't, and then that he did, and then that he wouldn't comment further); it's just further confirmation that the rumor is circulating among people who exist on the line between fans and professionals. But according to some on Gallifrey Base it's another smoking gun.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 02:56 AM   #464
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

That's interesting. David is a trust worthy guy. I've spoken to him a couple of times about his discoveries and he's very sincere and honest.
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 07:58 PM   #465
StCoop
Commodore
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Bad news everyone! The latest word from Mystic Meg is that they're going to keep the recoveries secret for another two years before announcing them.

Riiiiiiiight.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.