RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 407
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Which Battlestar would win
Galactica (the bucket) 5 15.15%
Pegasus (the beast) 28 84.85%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 29 2008, 06:53 PM   #16
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Re: Galactica VS Pegasus which would win

Pegasus was the better ship, but Adama was the betterand more experienced commander. I would actually have liked such a battle... just to see how and if Adama outthinks Cain (only way to win for him anyway).
Old August 17 2013, 06:59 AM   #17
Altoid
Cadet

OK, let's play "fill in the script" on this. I'll start! (I know, a few years late on this one but what the hell ) :

Adama:

I'm getting my men. *click*

Mr. Gaeda and Colonel Tigh, I want you both to plot an accurate short-range hyperlight jump 1.5 kilometers directly behind the Pegasus for a dorsal orientation broadside; let me know once your calculations are agreed upon. Ready our dorsal batteries to immediately target and disable Pegasus' sublight engines upon jump completion with antiship shells. Load missile tubes one through six with nuclear warheads for fire upon my command only.

(YOUR TURN)

Last edited by Altoid; August 17 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old August 17 2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

You could almost say this thread has been ... Resurrected!

*YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!*

Ahem. But honestly, it takes a while to plot jumps and who says the Pegasus won't have moved out of position by then? Perhaps even deeper into the fleet meaning any nuke detonations would take out nearby colony ships?
Old August 17 2013, 08:56 PM   #19
publiusr
Commodore

Pegasus might have been better ship-to-ship, but didn't Galactica have some longer range planetary bombardment nukes. Pegasus might have had them too, though...
Old August 17 2013, 10:12 PM   #20
Altoid
Cadet

Nice touch Rowan - YYEEEAAaaaaahhhh *puts on sunglasses*

From what I remember at the end of "Pegasus," Galactica was, at least visually, grouped with the civvie ships quite a distance from Pegasus as Pegasus began to train its lateral guns on Galactica and their respective fighters between them closed to merge. The tricky part would be to sufficiently disable Pegasus but not destroy it along with Helo and Chief aboard. It's obvious the Galactica can't outgun Pegasus so I'd think the best strategy would be to reduce Pegasus' ability to maneuver its massive self to utilize its weaponry. I was thinking Adama would keep the nukes on standby and only use them if things went to utter crapola. Does Pegasus have rear armament or defenses that could take a full broadside from Galactica at close range? That was my thinking...

I'm interested in how someone would fill in the rest of what I started!
Old August 18 2013, 10:02 AM   #21
Gecko of Gorn
Commodore

Adama: Don't worry about Pegasus. I'll take care of that motherfrakker myself. Just have Roslin bathed, perfumed and in my bunk for when I get back.
Old August 18 2013, 09:31 PM   #22
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

MyCylon wrote: View Post
Pegasus. Galactica is a mighty fine ship. But Pegasus just kicks ass, if you'll pardon my expression. If you look at how it takes out those baseships in Exodus, there's no question in my mind she would easily take down the older vessel.
Agree.
Old August 20 2013, 02:56 AM   #23
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

Yeah, the Pegasus would win, hands down. It's just a bigger, vastly superior ship to the Galactica. I wished they kept it in the series.

Sean
Old August 20 2013, 08:02 AM   #24
Altoid
Cadet

Love that Gecko.

Obviously by the numbers Pegasus is the superior ship. If you were Adama, how would you defeat it?
Old August 21 2013, 01:02 AM   #25
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

The best way to take on a superior ship like the Pegasus would be to fire first and try and take out the engines. It would be my hope to knock out the power to the ship so that it wouldn't be able to fight, leaving them no choice but to surrender. Which is along the same lines of what you've stated in a previous post.

Maybe bring the Galactica in close behind the Peggy, right on top of the engine section, where there are no gun batteries, and just keep bashing until they lose power.

Bear in mind I would be trying not to destroy the Peggy completely; it would be a big advantage to the Rag Tag Fleet to keep this monster in the ranks.

I've been working on the Pegasus model kit by Moebius for the past week, so I've had this ship a lot on the brain, lately.

Sean
Old August 21 2013, 08:09 PM   #26
dauntless
Lieutenant

Galactica. Despite size and power issues, Galactica has a greater concentration of experienced tactical minds.
Old September 1 2013, 06:02 AM   #27
Altoid
Cadet

USS Kongo wrote: View Post
The best way to take on a superior ship like the Pegasus would be to fire first and try and take out the engines. It would be my hope to knock out the power to the ship so that it wouldn't be able to fight, leaving them no choice but to surrender. Which is along the same lines of what you've stated in a previous post.

Maybe bring the Galactica in close behind the Peggy, right on top of the engine section, where there are no gun batteries, and just keep bashing until they lose power.

Bear in mind I would be trying not to destroy the Peggy completely; it would be a big advantage to the Rag Tag Fleet to keep this monster in the ranks.

I've been working on the Pegasus model kit by Moebius for the past week, so I've had this ship a lot on the brain, lately.

Sean
Yeah Kongo,

I was thinking to hyperjump about a shiplength behind the Peggy and immediately fire Galactica's upper guns at Peggy's engines with the goal to disable and reopen advantaged talks to grab Chief and Helo.

Since you've got the model, is there no sternside defensive capability on Pegasus? Or Galactica for that matter? How far along are you on the Beast build? Best of luck.

Altoid

Last edited by Altoid; September 1 2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old September 3 2013, 06:58 AM   #28
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

I'm just starting the Beast, meaning I've just got the primer paint on the unassembled parts. The problem is that I'm also building two other projects right now (a starship from Star Trek, and Green Lantern--both are almost done), so the Beast still has quite a ways to go.

But the model shows no defensive grid on the engine section whatsoever. The same for the Galactica, as well. The engine section appears to be the weak spot of these monsters, but I'd imagine it would still be a super bitch just to reach this area without taking a lot of flak from either the Bucket or the Beast (as well as their respective Viper squadrons).

And thanks! I'm debating right now whether I want to build it as the Peggy, or maybe as another ship in the Mercury-Class.
Old September 6 2013, 06:59 PM   #29
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

The TOS Galactica would destroy them both without breaking a sweat. It's more massive and can take a lot of punishment, has a greater fighter capacity (at least greater than NuGalactica) and has long-distance high-energy weapons that could carve open anything seen in NuBSG.
Old September 8 2013, 09:03 PM   #30
publiusr
Commodore

Agreed.