RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 414
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 4 2013, 08:45 AM   #76
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: What Happens After Death

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Isn't that pretty much what I said?

Except for the "most probably not an afterlife"?

I'm not looking for an argument, just stating what I was thinking at the time. :/
No, not really. Your scenario unduly gives equal weight to either possibility, and off the back of that faulty logic opines we should just not think to much about it cause, hey who knows. A very lazy way of looking at it, if you don't mind me saying.

His scenario suggests crazy stuff like examining the evidence, drawing logical conclusions. And then not worrying about it.
You can't just be a nice guy and let it go?

Well, I can.
You asked the question

Ridiculous, you embroil yourself in a theological debate and then start criticising people for engaging you on the subject you are discussing.
Old September 4 2013, 08:49 AM   #77
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

Sunderland

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:05 PM   #78
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Into Darkness wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
Nothing happens to you after death. You're DEAD.

Your remains decay and go back to the soil. Time marches on. End of story.

Next question?
Have you never studied near death experiences in depth?
I've been clinically dead twice for a few minutes and I am 100% with Auntie on this. These so-called near-death experiences are simply artifacts: malfunctions of an oxigen-deprived brain.
You get exactly the same visions when your brain arteries clog (when you have a stroke), when your blood circulation fails (after a heart attack, severe shock or physical trauma) or when you hold your breath till you faint. All these different causes lead to the same result: lack of oxigen in your central nervous system (aka brain). And that leads invariably to tunnel vision, imagining bright lights etc and hallucinating. Exactly what you hallucinate depends on whether you are a religious person or not. Just like dreaming depends on your personal experiences and mindset.
Old September 6 2013, 06:42 PM   #79
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I believe this is all some kind of Matrix-like simulated environment. When we die, we will experience our true lives, as they are, out of the Matrix, with the potential of entering another program later on. The program only takes seconds to run, but it's a lifetime of information, a la "Inner Light". All of you are either programs in the Matrix making "life" interesting for me, or other participants in a shared hub experiencing the same thing, remotely. I prefer the former - cause some of you are frankly just too weird to be real.

And when I wake up from this life into the next, I'm going to find the asshole who programmed the Matrix...

...and kick him square in the nuts.

I think I just had a Guy Gardener moment.

On second thought, nah, my first sentence was too long.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; September 6 2013 at 06:52 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 09:08 AM   #80
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

And stupid politicians would be the bugs in that software? And the only real thing would be the TrekBBS' innumerable pop up ads?
Old September 7 2013, 07:07 PM   #81
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Glitches in the Matrix, like ghosts, aliens, vampires and werewolves...
Old September 7 2013, 09:50 PM   #82
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Since the existence of an afterlife cannot be proved or disproved scientifically, then you're free to believe whatever you want. I'd like to think that after death, humans evolve into a higher form of consciousness or being, although that's not necessarily supported by my Christian beliefs.
Old September 7 2013, 09:55 PM   #83
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Since the existence of an afterlife cannot be proved or disproved scientifically, then you're free to believe whatever you want. I'd like to think that after death, humans evolve into a higher form of consciousness or being, although that's not necessarily supported by my Christian beliefs.
Why?
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 09:55 PM   #84
VXX
Lieutenant

you die, money is spent on some sort of ritual with a meal, then survivors fight over your estate.
VXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 04:47 AM   #85
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Sure it is - particularly if you were a Gnostic Christian.
Old September 8 2013, 06:05 AM   #86
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Why?
Why what? If you're referring to the Judeo-Christian belief in an afterlife, then what I personally like to believe is not consistent with religious teachings about heaven or hell.

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Sure it is - particularly if you were a Gnostic Christian.
Perhaps, but since I'm not a gnostic Christian and don't know anything about their belief system, I can't really comment.
Old September 8 2013, 12:00 PM   #87
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Why what? If you're referring to the Judeo-Christian belief in an afterlife, then what I personally like to believe is not consistent with religious teachings about heaven or hell.
Sorry, should have asked more specifically.

What I mean was, why do you believe what you believe and is that really a belief at all. The way you phrased it is a bit off. You said you "like to believe"
I am not criticizing your convictions, you are free to believe in any kind of afterlife if you want to, I just don't see how you came to that conclusion... hence why?

You said, you believe in a personal version of an afterlife. What is that version beyond a vague sense of "something"?
And what convinced you that there is an afterlife?
Or is it rather a form of strong wishful thinking and not really a conviction at all?
Old September 8 2013, 03:38 PM   #88
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

VXX wrote: View Post
you die, money is spent on some sort of ritual with a meal, then survivors fight over your estate.
that's pretty much a perfect sum up.
Old September 8 2013, 05:08 PM   #89
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Why what? If you're referring to the Judeo-Christian afterlife, then what I personally like to believe is not consistent with religious teachings about heaven or hell.

What I mean was, why do you believe what you believe and is that really a belief at all. The way you phrased it is a bit off. You said you "like to believe"
I am not criticizing your convictions, you are free to believe in any kind of afterlife if you want to, I just don't see how you came to that conclusion... hence why?

You said, you believe in a personal version of an afterlife. What is that version beyond a vague sense of "something"?
Or is it rather a form of strong wishful thinking and not really a conviction at all?
My beliefs are influenced heavily by my Christian upbringing. I was raised a Catholic and later became a member of a congregationalist group. I'm now a non-denominational Christian with a bit of "New Age" spirituality (also having read some literature on death and dying). My mind is open to the possibility of an afterlife. It would be like believing in the existence of lifeforms elsewhere in the universe despite the lack of scientific evidence to support it. Unfortunately, there are things that cannot be quantified by science. That is where one's faith comes into picture.
Old September 8 2013, 05:32 PM   #90
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Why what? If you're referring to the Judeo-Christian afterlife, then what I personally like to believe is not consistent with religious teachings about heaven or hell.

My beliefs are influenced heavily by my Christian upbringing. I was raised a Catholic and later became a member of a congregationalist group. I'm now a non-denominational Christian with a bit of "New Age" spirituality (also having read some literature on death and dying). My mind is open to the possibility of an afterlife. It would be like believing in the existence of lifeforms elsewhere in the universe despite the lack of scientific evidence to support it. Unfortunately, there are things that cannot be quantified by science. That is where one's faith comes into picture.
I don't think that comparison is valid. We know of one example of life in the universe: us.

I couldn't possibly estimate how many other cases of life in the universe are, but I know it's possible because because it has happened once and is demonstrable.
We can't quantify any life beyond our own planet yet, true, but it's still a reasonable assumption that it probably is out there somewhere.
I just wouldn't make any further assumptions about it, not about it's rarity, nature or age.

Now when we come to indications of an afterlife, how many indications do we have that it is even possible when every new discovery about the nature of the universe and life says otherwise?

Faith to me is an excuse to believe something beyond good reason.

Pondering the idea of an afterlife is a valid thought exercise, but what makes you believe that it DOES exist?
What is your reason for doing so?

Another question is, is there a life before life and what was it like?