Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old September 6 2013, 04:02 PM   #1
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

Ten years

It's been (nearly) ten years since Battlestar Galactica first aired the miniseries/pilot. Late in 2003, over two nights, I watched a show that would change my outlook on television forever.

Until Battlestar aired, I didn't have much time for non-scifi television. I watched DS9 through to the end and stuck with Enterprise despite a growing sense that, not only was Enterprise bad scifi, it was simply bad television.

Then, in the first few minutes, Battlestar grabbed me by the neck and never let go. It proved that being a genre show wasn't good enough. You could be great television and great scifi. You could explore complex issues and thorny interpersonal relationships and have giant chrome robots, poundy drums and space dogfights.

It's often said that Battlestar drew in non-scifi fans because of the smart writing and well-drawn characters, but it drew me out of a scifi morass of cliche and tired caricatures and into a world of shatteringly good television. I'd have never watched Friday Night Lights if it weren't for Battlestar, or Mad Men, or Breaking Bad.

Ronald D. Moore's quest to do great television that happened to be scifi was a triumph. He got the right cast, the right story and the right director and those four seasons of television stand shoulder to shoulder with the greats.

I can't believe it was ten years ago.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
Old September 6 2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Gecko of Gorn
Commodore

Re: Ten years

So say we all!

Great post, Stig.
Old September 6 2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

I remember when the mini series aired. The SF&F forum lit up like a Christmas tree. Every thread was about BSG. People were talking about how this "Starbuck" fellow was now a woman, how that contestant from Survivor, what's his name... Richard Hatch, didn't like the idea of a reboot and how the ship didn't look like the original (with only peripheral knowledge of that show, I couldn't tell the difference).

I was indifferent and couldn't see how they could turn this into a long-running series.

Little did I know, it would become one of my favorite shows of all time.
Old September 6 2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Relayer1
Commodore

I was in the process of posting that Amazon were selling the Bluray box set for £33 with free postage, but its gone back up to £60. Still good value for 20 Blurays though.

Mine is in the post.
Old September 6 2013, 07:01 PM   #5
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It doesn't seem that long ago. I do miss it. Maybe one day, we'll see something new, but it will be a long time, I'm afraid.
Old September 8 2013, 03:05 PM   #6
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
how that contestant from Survivor, what's his name... Richard Hatch, didn't like the idea of a reboot
If this was actually a thing that happened, people are idiots who couldn't be bothered to actually do some research.

Regarding Mr. Hatch, his comments against the new series came at a time when he had personally invested a great deal of time and money attempting to get the original series revived, and were a direct reaction to the disappointment of not being able to find traction with his project.

The reason I mention that is that having just had an opportunity to meet him and hear him talk about both series, he genuinely considers the new series to be as good as the original and is as much a fan of the franchise as any of us.

I hadn't realized that it was nearly ten years since the new miniseries debuted, but that is as much a milestone as the overall franchise celebrating 35 years this year.
Old September 12 2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
how that contestant from Survivor, what's his name... Richard Hatch, didn't like the idea of a reboot
If this was actually a thing that happened, people are idiots who couldn't be bothered to actually do some research.
Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. People at the time talked about how Richard Hatch didn't like the new series. The assumption that it was the guy from Survivor was mine since I didn't know who BSG's Richard Hatch was. I was a bit puzzled at first but I did my research.
Old September 12 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Sure why not. Let's have BSG cast members on Survivor.

Dirk Benedict forms an alliance with Tricia Helfer. Edward James Olmos wins

Old September 12 2013, 09:21 PM   #9
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ A season of Survivor using BSG cast members would be awesome. I'd go with the following teams:
Old BSG
Herb Jefferson
Dirk Benedict
Noah Hathaway
Terry Carter
Jane Seymour
Maren Jensen
Laurette Spang
Sarah Rush
Anne Maloney (Lockhart)

New BSG
Edward James Olmos