RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,092
Posts: 5,399,369
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 505
Newest member: jonjps246

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 8 2013, 05:30 AM   #31
Darkwing
Commodore
 
Location: This dry land thing is too wierd!
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

Generally, set up should only be rolling up characters, which need not be repeated each session. The GM should already have a plot in mind.
I started with AD&D & Star Frontiers. Got into FASA Trek early, still the definitive basis of Trek for me. LUG/Decipher were okay, but not as interesting to me.
BTRC's Timelords is one of my faves, and the basis of my house system.
Other games include Traveller, 2300, World of Darkness, GURPS, Scion, SW d6, SW d20, Runequest, Morrow Project, Twilight 2000, Gamma World, Warp World, Cyberpunk, Worlds Beyond... well, too many.
If you don't have a group, look on the meetup sites for your city. Skype old players - but this really only works if everyone skypes in on a headset. A skype player or two in an otherwise F2F group can be difficult to hear.
__________________
If you donít drink the kool-aid, youíre a baaad person - Rev Jim Jones
Almond kool-aid, anyone? Or do you prefer pudding?- Darkwing
Darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 05:50 AM   #32
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
Always wanted to play RPGs when I was a kid, but never found anyone to teach me. Everyone assumed that because I was such a nerd, I already knew all the ins and outs and wanted me to DM/GM for them. The look of shock on their faces when I said I didn't even know how to play and would like to learn was so utterly disheartening, almost as much as when they said they didn't "have time to teach a noob."
That was stupid of them. They could have taught you the mechanics, helped you acquire the basic books (Player's Guide, DM Guide, Monster Manuals) and from there all you need is your imagination (and dice).

I want some storytelling, character-building, fun interaction out of a table-top RPG, and so far, I haven't found any local groups that are really compatible with that mindset yet.
Have you tried building your own group? Sometimes you have to ask around; the results can be surprising. The people I've played D&D with were also the people in my local Society for Creative Anachronism group and the Star Trek club at the local college.

But your preference for storytelling and character building are exactly the kinds of RPG gaming I found the most fun. We had a DM who made actual miniature props - if we found a potion it came in a little plastic container with a lid (was actually water & food coloring in a plastic vial). If anyone wanted to drink the potion, they actually had to drink it! Same with finding scrolls... we had real ones, and there was no hedging about who was unrolling and reading them. This was important because the adventure we were involved in had a number of cursed scrolls, and it was hilarious - after the second time we got cursed, it was a case "I'm not gonna read it - YOU read it!" while saying "I'm slowly backing away..."

And when the party's best fighter slipped on a bar of soap (in the castle laundry) and broke his ankle, we didn't tell him to keep fighting because he still had plenty of hit points - we had the cleric heal him.

bbjeg wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind starting a trekbbs RPG thread and GM it. The character sheets would be easy, set it as who ever wants to joins first post. The minimum daily situation post would move the story, but dice rolling would be difficult.
That would be a hoot! As for dice rolling, there are some good automatic dice rolling sites available. Some of the D&D PbP (play-by-post) games I've been involved in use them.


Has anyone here tried the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks? There are multiplayer ones now, but the one I'm thinking of in particular is Starship Traveler. It's loosely based on Star Trek, and you manage a crew of the Captain, Science Officer, Medical Officer, Engineering Officer, and two Security Officers.

I have yet to figure out the solution to that book, some 25+ years later... (and if anyone here knows, DO NOT tell me!)
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 02:10 PM   #33
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

Timewalker wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind starting a trekbbs RPG thread and GM it. The character sheets would be easy, set it as who ever wants to joins first post. The minimum daily situation post would move the story, but dice rolling would be difficult.
That would be a hoot! As for dice rolling, there are some good automatic dice rolling sites available. Some of the D&D PbP (play-by-post) games I've been involved in use them.
It'll be a trust system. No one can prove/disprove who rolled what (not that I don't trust anyone, in fact I'm too trusting at times). I thought about doing a diceless game but it's the dice that moves the story.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 05:24 PM   #34
Darkwing
Commodore
 
Location: This dry land thing is too wierd!
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

My "walking system" is simple: for any action, I secretly pick a number between 1 and 20. You state a number, I compare, and then decide what happens based on how far off you were. Initiative and damage the same way, but using 1 - 10.
So, as GM, everyone has to trust you. I'd suggest you simply tell everyone when they post their activities that any action they think they should roll for is posted like so: I pick his pocket [18]. Whether they select a number or roll a die for it is immaterial, since you're comparing their number to yours, and they can't cheat by trying to pick high or low to fit your system.
When you respond, you put it like this : "You tried to pick his pocket [18 / 3]. He easily detected your clumsy attempt to snatch his purse, and now he's trying to punch you. Initiative call."
__________________
If you donít drink the kool-aid, youíre a baaad person - Rev Jim Jones
Almond kool-aid, anyone? Or do you prefer pudding?- Darkwing
Darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 06:58 PM   #35
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

^But when do you pick the number, at the end of your last post or after the posted action is complete? Some situations might not need dice too.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 07:12 PM   #36
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind starting a trekbbs RPG thread and GM it. The character sheets would be easy, set it as who ever wants to joins first post. The minimum daily situation post would move the story, but dice rolling would be difficult.
That would be a hoot! As for dice rolling, there are some good automatic dice rolling sites available. Some of the D&D PbP (play-by-post) games I've been involved in use them.
It'll be a trust system. No one can prove/disprove who rolled what (not that I don't trust anyone, in fact I'm too trusting at times). I thought about doing a diceless game but it's the dice that moves the story.
There are dice - but they're rolled on a different site, you can specify any number of any kind of die (ie. roll 3d6 or 2d20 or whatever). The dice get automatically rolled, and the results are emailed to the GM/DM and the roller. It's possible to set up any number of pre-rolls, so people aren't constantly having to do this. Unless there's a glitch in the software, there is no possibility of cheating.

Mind you, I have some very nice sets of real dice that I don't get to use very often anymore...
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:10 PM   #37
Darkwing
Commodore
 
Location: This dry land thing is too wierd!
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^But when do you pick the number, at the end of your last post or after the posted action is complete? Some situations might not need dice too.
If I were using my walking system for PBEM, I'd tell the players to bracket the numbers they pick and put them next to the action they want to roll against. Like I said earlier "I pick his pocket [18]", and then the response was [18 / 3], so the number the GM picked was waaay off from what the player picked. By posting the player's number-slash-GM's number in brackets, the player sees why the NPC detected the failed attempt and responded with violence.
If you don't think you need to roll, don't. If I think you do, I'll tell you so. If you think you need to roll, but I don't think so, I will ignore the roll and move on with story.
The major advantage of my walking system is that there's no need to trust the player's rolls, as it's compared to a random target, not a fixed target, so players can't cheat, and nobody has to use a third-party site for cheat-free rolling.
__________________
If you donít drink the kool-aid, youíre a baaad person - Rev Jim Jones
Almond kool-aid, anyone? Or do you prefer pudding?- Darkwing
Darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:14 PM   #38
NightJim
Commander
 
NightJim's Avatar
 
Location: Scunthorpe, UK
View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

There's options such as Roll 20 too, though that's a little less play by post, which might defeat the purpose of the whole idea.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:39 PM   #39
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

^Looks amazing, but I never put my RL image online, for privacy reasons.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:28 AM   #40
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

Timewalker wrote: View Post
There are dice - but they're rolled on a different site, you can specify any number of any kind of die (ie. roll 3d6 or 2d20 or whatever). The dice get automatically rolled, and the results are emailed to the GM/DM and the roller. It's possible to set up any number of pre-rolls, so people aren't constantly having to do this. Unless there's a glitch in the software, there is no possibility of cheating.
I'm intrigued. Do you know of any site like that in particular, or should I take the first one I google?

I'll make up some character sheets tomorrow evening after work (with unique TrekBBS rules pulled from multiple systems), give a set amount of build points each person must spend, make two threads (Rules/Character sheets and Game), and limit the game to a weekly event (Mon-Sun for those who work and a switching point if someone else want to be the GM). The Character thread will be a first come first serve basis. I'm making a Captain NPC for my game but whoever chooses Commander first is second in command, the Helmsman gets to roll for piloting (or the person who replaces him when he critically fails and his panel explodes ), and so one and so forth. The Game thread will start off with the setting and characters will be in charge of moving the story. Characters who live (don't fight a Klingon if you have Body 1 and Brawl 1 and not expect to be impaled) get experience and can use their character again if we use the same setting (TOS week 1, TNG week 2, maybe 26th century week 3...).

I think that covers the basics. Anything else before I start making a system?
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:53 AM   #41
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
There are dice - but they're rolled on a different site, you can specify any number of any kind of die (ie. roll 3d6 or 2d20 or whatever). The dice get automatically rolled, and the results are emailed to the GM/DM and the roller. It's possible to set up any number of pre-rolls, so people aren't constantly having to do this. Unless there's a glitch in the software, there is no possibility of cheating.
I'm intrigued. Do you know of any site like that in particular, or should I take the first one I google?

I'll make up some character sheets tomorrow evening after work (with unique TrekBBS rules pulled from multiple systems), give a set amount of build points each person must spend, make two threads (Rules/Character sheets and Game), and limit the game to a weekly event (Mon-Sun for those who work and a switching point if someone else want to be the GM). The Character thread will be a first come first serve basis. I'm making a Captain NPC for my game but whoever chooses Commander first is second in command, the Helmsman gets to roll for piloting (or the person who replaces him when he critically fails and his panel explodes ), and so one and so forth. The Game thread will start off with the setting and characters will be in charge of moving the story. Characters who live (don't fight a Klingon if you have Body 1 and Brawl 1 and not expect to be impaled) get experience and can use their character again if we use the same setting (TOS week 1, TNG week 2, maybe 26th century week 3...).

I think that covers the basics. Anything else before I start making a system?
Sites come and go... you should check out several and decide which ones you like. Some are very minimal, and others are extremely detailed.

http://www.roll-dice-online.com/
http://rolz.org/

The above might give you a few ideas of what you're looking for. I found a lot that were only for d6 but if you need other kinds, those won't work.

This is the site recommended to me by a friend who's running an old-school AD&D game: http://invisiblecastle.com/ Just at first glance, it looks pretty decent.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 07:24 PM   #42
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

I'll have the rules up later. I'm pulling mostly from WoD but setting it up with unique rules for Trek BBS. Here's the character sheet.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:12 AM   #43
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

Ok, creating thread one for it. I'll post a link after I'm done pasting. We'll see if it works or not.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:12 AM   #44
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral
 
Herkimer Jitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dayglow, New California Republic
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

Timewalker wrote: View Post
^Looks amazing, but I never put my RL image online, for privacy reasons.
Video chat's optional, and IMO a bit too distracting. My groups usually prefer to just do audio.
__________________
"What?" - { Emilia }

Last edited by Herkimer Jitty; September 10 2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: responded to 2nd page posts, didn't see the 3rd page, like a bawss
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:44 AM   #45
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

It's up, the Trek BBS RPG.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=225358
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.