RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,842
Posts: 5,327,726
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 627
Newest member: Vargr1

TrekToday headlines

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 6 2013, 08:36 PM   #16
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

Scotland, again, but I think you can include "Local Hero" and "Gregory's Girl."
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 08:51 PM   #17
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

Brassed Off would seem quite qualified for the OP.

The Wicker Man wasn't in the same time period and it wasn't particularly humorous, but it did have the quirky residents of a British village getting together for a purpose!

Last edited by J.T.B.; September 6 2013 at 09:03 PM.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 09:07 PM   #18
ITL
Vice Admiral
 
ITL's Avatar
 
Location: Palace Of The Brine
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

Christopher wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Hot Fuzz is hardly 'a romanticised version of life' in a small town all the same. Murder, conspiracy, crime?
Which is kind of the point -- to deconstruct that romanticism.
Yep! And even though it's set in a small town, the filming location was actually a very small city. Not an important detail, I know.
__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 10:24 AM   #19
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

This is an interesting topic. I live in a small English town (although bigger than the "small towns" in question) and I had never thought of them as being a genre of film. I just thought of those places to live. I've been to Wells loads of times (Hot Fuzz) and it just seems like a place to me. Interesting.
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral
 
Asbo Zaprudder's Avatar
 
Location: Magic realism
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
The Wicker Man wasn't in the same time period and it wasn't particularly humorous, but it did have the quirky residents of a British village getting together for a purpose!
... and Christopher Lee in a dress.

Withnail & I -- "We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!"
__________________
"Sans le canard de Vaucanson vous n'auriez rien qui fit ressouvenir de la gloire de la France." -- Voltaire -- Flip flap!
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 12:18 PM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
This is an interesting topic. I live in a small English town (although bigger than the "small towns" in question) and I had never thought of them as being a genre of film. I just thought of those places to live. I've been to Wells loads of times (Hot Fuzz) and it just seems like a place to me. Interesting.
I'm from a small english town as well - in films they are full of quirky characters, mine was full on inbreeders, noisy fuckers, no-hopers and minimum wage jobs in factories - I was off like a shot.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 12:30 PM   #22
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
This is an interesting topic. I live in a small English town (although bigger than the "small towns" in question) and I had never thought of them as being a genre of film. I just thought of those places to live. I've been to Wells loads of times (Hot Fuzz) and it just seems like a place to me. Interesting.
I'm from a small english town as well - in films they are full of quirky characters, mine was full on inbreeders, noisy fuckers, no-hopers and minimum wage jobs in factories - I was off like a shot.
I can relate to all of that, Joe.
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 12:47 PM   #23
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

^ I always thought you were American, for some reason.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 01:42 PM   #24
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I always thought you were American, for some reason.
Born and bred in Lancashire, my friend.
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 01:52 PM   #25
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I always thought you were American, for some reason.
Born and bred in Lancashire, my friend.
I actually meant JoeZhang (you posted in the interim). But I thought you were American too, come to think of it!
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 01:57 PM   #26
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I always thought you were American, for some reason.
Born and bred in Lancashire, my friend.
I actually meant JoeZhang (you posted in the interim). But I thought you were American too, come to think of it!
I thought JoeThang was American, too.
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 04:09 PM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

Well, there's always the original 1973 version of The Wicker Man, set on a small Scottish island, bu that might not be exactly what the OP is looking for!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 02:43 AM   #28
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

It transplants the town to India but I think Best Exotic Marigold Hotel might fit the bill.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 05:13 AM   #29
Brolan
Commodore
 
Brolan's Avatar
 
Location: Backwoods Minnesota
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

Waiting for Dublin is a newer one. I know it's in Ireland but it meets the other criteria. It's also not a very good movie.
Brolan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 05:36 AM   #30
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: The "small english town" genre of movies

While set in America, would Its a Wonderful Life qualify? Lots of quirky towns folk who band together.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.