Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 4 2013, 04:26 AM   #31
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: 12th Doctor Costume?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
please no suit with question marks!! lol
Although, it could be neat to have him trying one on in the scene where he's selecting his new outfit.
And then he would vomit or spontaneously regenerate.
Old September 4 2013, 06:43 AM   #32
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

*Clara helps Twelve with choosing his outfit*

Clara- What about this?

*Question Mark tie*

Twelve- No F@!& way. Okay?
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:49 AM   #33
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
please no suit with question marks!! lol
I actually liked the question marks on the collar that the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Doctors had, it was kind of a subtle trademark that connected those incarnations of the Doctor, but I could see how it went too far on the Seventh Doctor's pullover and as his umbrella handle.

I wouldn't mind seeing the question mark symbol return for the Twelfth Doctor, but perhaps only on a ring or as cufflinks, something not too obvious.
Old September 4 2013, 10:40 AM   #34
Starkers
Admiral

Sorry did somone just use the words Sixth and subtlein the same sentence?

(I didn't mind the ?s, though I don't think they're really neccesary.)
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 11:30 PM   #35
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Sorry did somone just use the words Sixth and subtlein the same sentence?
Yes, because it was addressing a small detail that connected him visually with two earlier Doctors.
Old September 7 2013, 10:07 PM   #36
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Frankly, I think it would be nice to get away from the Doctor having a real trademark look. What if the 12th Doctor just kinda wore stuff that didn't really draw attention to itself.

Although, I do think that the 12th Doctor should have a strong aversion to ties. "Ties are pointless." (In fact, I'm having this vision in my head of the Doctor ripping off the bow tie in disgust. Then, he comes to realize that the rest of his wardrobe is superfluous as well. By the time he's done, he's stripped down completely naked and Clara is struggling to think of a polite way to remind him that "People like clothes on other people... Just, generally that's kind of a thing...")

Redfern wrote: View Post
Smith, well, we remember the fez and the stetson mainly because River shot both of them, but he didn't wear them on a regular basis.
He also donned a top hat a few times: "The Big Bang," "Let's Kill Hitler," "The Snowmen." It may not have been a regular thing but it looked really good on him.
Old September 7 2013, 11:57 PM   #37
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

When 12 tries on his outfit, they should do it a bit like T Baker and Sylvester's try ons and have multiple outfits before finally deciding on an outfit. or maybe it would be fun if Capaldi picks an awful outfit for the first episode, then at the end of it after his head clears up from his regeneration realises it's so bad and puts on a more normal, regular outfit to wear through out the rest of his tenure. I'm thinking that for the first episode he should wear a white or pale cream suit with red question marks going down it (like Sylvester's jumper but just the Q marks), an white shirt, and matching tie. But after that he dons a normal outfit the rest of his tenure. Would be a bit of fun.

But what doesn't really make sense to me is that the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th doctors all had question marks at some point, but what puzzles me is that he wears Q marks in a straight line of regenerations, then after 7, he never has a question mark anywhere near him again. Maybe it could have been a mid life crisis, but overall it doesn't make sense. Yeah, I know in real life why they topped wearing them (because they dated so quickly), but continuity wise, it makes no sense. Maybe some question mark cuff links could be cool.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 12:18 AM   #38
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

You also forget that DURING the Seventh Doctor's lifespan he abandoned the question marks. There's none to be found in The Enemy Within.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 12:57 AM   #39
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
When 12 tries on his outfit, they should do it a bit like T Baker and Sylvester's try ons and have multiple outfits before finally deciding on an outfit. or maybe it would be fun if Capaldi picks an awful outfit for the first episode, then at the end of it after his head clears up from his regeneration realises it's so bad and puts on a more normal, regular outfit to wear through out the rest of his tenure.
I have suggested elsewhere a similar idea. But I'd say have him adopt various pieces of his final outfit as he goes through the first season (or at least the first few episodes). Picking up a tie here, some shoes there, a jacket on this outing and a scarf on that one until finally having a bit moment at the climax of the season finale where he puts on a hat or a pin or whatever and says "yes, that will do."

It only works if his outfit is suitably patchwork though.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:58 AM   #40
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
You also forget that DURING the Seventh Doctor's lifespan he abandoned the question marks. There's none to be found in The Enemy Within.
I didn't just didn't mention it. But does anyone find it's weird that at the end of T Bakers era, he suddenly randomly adopts question marks, wears them through out his 5th and 6th life, than wears them for a god chunk of his 7th incarnation before randomly scrapping them, and ever since he has never so much are looked at a question mark?
Venardhi wrote: View Post
When 12 tries on his outfit, they should do it a bit like T Baker and Sylvester's try ons and have multiple outfits before finally deciding on an outfit. or maybe it would be fun if Capaldi picks an awful outfit for the first episode, then at the end of it after his head clears up from his regeneration realises it's so bad and puts on a more normal, regular outfit to wear through out the rest of his tenure.
I have suggested elsewhere a similar idea. But I'd say have him adopt various pieces of his final outfit as he goes through the first season (or at least the first few episodes). Picking up a tie here, some shoes there, a jacket on this outing and a scarf on that one until finally having a bit moment at the climax of the season finale where he puts on a hat or a pin or whatever and says "yes, that will do."

It only works if his outfit is suitably patchwork though.
Would be funny, but no, I'd like to have the definitive outfit by the end of the first episode or beginning of the second episode. But for Capaldis first episode, I'd like to have him running round either in Smiths remains of an outfit or run around in this god awful outfit he will scrap at the end of the episode. It would be a nice mock to past incarnations immediately thinking about clothes as soon as he regenerates.
Old September 9 2013, 07:09 PM   #41
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I didn't just didn't mention it. But does anyone find it's weird that at the end of T Bakers era, he suddenly randomly adopts question marks, wears them through out his 5th and 6th life, than wears them for a god chunk of his 7th incarnation before randomly scrapping them, and ever since he has never so much are looked at a question mark?
It was just a phase that the Doctor went through in his youth.
Old September 9 2013, 10:32 PM   #42
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
It was just a phase that the Doctor went through in his youth.
Or a mid life crisis.
Old September 10 2013, 09:47 PM   #43
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Work in progress of another costume idea. Victorian by way of disco. Never mind the hands, I forgot to turn their layer back on.

"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old September 10 2013, 09:54 PM   #44
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Not too bad. Looks a bit....70s though. But he is an older man.
Old September 10 2013, 10:24 PM   #45
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Exactly my intent. An aging man who's concept of fashionable is a bit out of date.

Considering other colors for the suit like blue, taupe, grey, etc. but the salmon has grown on me.