RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,655
Members: 24,811
Currently online: 581
Newest member: QQQ

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 7 2013, 07:37 PM   #196
Borgminister

Re: Orci strikes back

Orci shot Kennedy!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 08:28 PM   #197
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

And may be 25% alien.
Old September 7 2013, 09:34 PM   #198
Opus
Commodore

He was playing the 'Evil Bob Orci' from 'The Enemy Within'.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 09:46 PM   #199
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Wow, just what is it with those guys. They knew the fanbase was very vocal. Now some of them don't like the film and the writer reacts all butthurt. That's hilarious.
I read the original editorial expecting something truly scathing in order to get Orci's reaction. The editorial, in fact, is well-thought-out and perfectly reasonable. I don't necessarily agree with it, but there's nothing in there that calls for such an unprofessional and childish response.

The writer of the editorial calls for new Trek writers. Here's how he begins that part:
A lot of critical barbs were aimed at the writers of Star Trek Into Darkness about the script and plot of the film. I won’t join in that chorus, because writing a multi-billion dollar film is something I have never had to do. The pressure must be IMMENSE, and there are many hoops that you have to jump through to produce a script for such a project. That being said, Star Trek at its best has always had top-notch writing, no matter the series.
There's nothing unreasonable there.

Here's Orci's response:
...frankly, your tone and attidude make it hard for me to listen to what might otherwise be decent notions to pursue in the future. As I love to say, there is a reason why I get to write the movies, and you don’t.
Oh, and don't forget this gem:
FUCK OFF!
Christ, what a petulant child.
Old September 7 2013, 09:52 PM   #200
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Who has gone on to apologize for his reaction.

Spend 4 years hearing the same entitlement mindset garbage from the vocal members of the fanbase, some of it bordering on abusive, a good portion the sort of stuff that would get a person kicked from a messageboard on most counts, and see what mood you're in at the end of the day. The overreaction to this just reeks of some of the fanbase being mad that the hired help back talked them.

Not saying he couldn't have worded better, but he had every right snap back at the people snapping at him. Hell, I applaud him for both standing up for his production and having the balls to apologize.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 10:00 PM   #201
suarezguy
Commodore

Noddy wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Wtf Robby. So a couple hundred people at Vegas Con 2013 vote STID to be the worst film in the franchise.
Eh? STID may have its problems, but seriously, if those people think it's the worst Trek film ever, they obviously haven't seen the pile of excrement that was Generations, or Nemesis.
I found it all too similar to, and indeed worse than, Nemesis and both much worse than Generations (which 09 was pretty similar to but better).

Of course he can defend himself and his work but trying to do so by stating the obvious that it made a lot of money is hardly a strong defense, even a bit self-damning. Getting so angry over detractors (although some indeed are extreme or worse get personal) when so many others liked it seems wierd.
Old September 7 2013, 10:01 PM   #202
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

Spend 4 years hearing the same entitlement mindset garbage from the vocal members of the fanbase, some of it bordering on abusive, a good portion the sort of stuff that would get a person kicked from a messageboard on most counts, and see what mood you're in at the end of the day.

--Not saying he couldn't have worded better, but he had every right snap back at the people snapping at him.
Could you point out which part of the original article was snapping at him, bordered on abusive, and would get a person kicked from a message board which called for Orci's response? Here's a link.

I don't mind passion, but the "I'm a cool writer and you're not" garbage is disappointing. And as far as apologizing, did he apologize to the author of the editorial?
Old September 7 2013, 10:07 PM   #203
SeerSGB
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post

Spend 4 years hearing the same entitlement mindset garbage from the vocal members of the fanbase, some of it bordering on abusive, a good portion the sort of stuff that would get a person kicked from a messageboard on most counts, and see what mood you're in at the end of the day.

--Not saying he couldn't have worded better, but he had every right snap back at the people snapping at him.
Could you point out which part of the original article was snapping at him, bordered on abusive, and would get a person kicked from a message board which called for Orci's response? Here's a link.

I don't mind passion, but the "I'm a cool writer and you're not" garbage is disappointing. And as far as apologizing, did he apologize to the author of the editorial?
It wasn't just the article, if you read the whole exchange, he admits he gets like this once or twice a year. The article and the bullshit Vegas poll was what set him off this go around.

And frankly, yeah I find the article to be the latest installment of entitlement mindset babbling. Biased, presuming to speak for the majority. If I was Orci, I would have probably told the author off too or contacted the admin at TrekMovie and demanded equal time to rebut it.

suarezguy wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Wtf Robby. So a couple hundred people at Vegas Con 2013 vote STID to be the worst film in the franchise.
Eh? STID may have its problems, but seriously, if those people think it's the worst Trek film ever, they obviously haven't seen the pile of excrement that was Generations, or Nemesis.
I found it all too similar to, and indeed worse than, Nemesis and both much worse than Generations (which 09 was pretty similar to but better).

Of course he can defend himself and his work but trying to do so by stating the obvious that it made a lot of money is hardly a strong defense, even a bit self-damning. Getting so angry over detractors (although some indeed are extreme or worse get personal) when so many others liked it seems wierd.
I doubt he's that out of the ordinary in modern Hollywood. The buffer between fans and creators is all but gone. It's more personal these days. It's harder to ignore the critics when people jump on the least little critical thing and blow it up to a total damnation of your work (see: Vegas poll).

There's an affliction in fandom (not just ST) where some people want to see the creators falter and fail. Knock 'em down a peg of two and prove their no better than the fans. It's sad and it's a cancer killing a lot of fandoms.

Last edited by SeerSGB; September 7 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old September 7 2013, 11:25 PM   #204
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

FUCK OFF!
While we're not forgetting (or being misleading), that gem was directed at a poster in the comment section named Ahmed who was being an ass himself, and not to the writer of the original "Trek is Broken" article.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:33 PM   #205
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
FUCK OFF!
While we're not forgetting (or being misleading), that gem was directed at a poster in the comment section named Ahmed who was being an ass himself, and not to the writer of the original "Trek is Broken" article.
The fanbase finally got a look in the mirror in regards to how they act towards and treat the creators of Trek and found they didn't like what they saw.
Old September 7 2013, 11:37 PM   #206
RAMA
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Wow, just what is it with those guys. They knew the fanbase was very vocal. Now some of them don't like the film and the writer reacts all butthurt. That's hilarious.
I read the original editorial expecting something truly scathing in order to get Orci's reaction. The editorial, in fact, is well-thought-out and perfectly reasonable. I don't necessarily agree with it, but there's nothing in there that calls for such an unprofessional and childish response.

The writer of the editorial calls for new Trek writers. Here's how he begins that part:
A lot of critical barbs were aimed at the writers of Star Trek Into Darkness about the script and plot of the film. I won’t join in that chorus, because writing a multi-billion dollar film is something I have never had to do. The pressure must be IMMENSE, and there are many hoops that you have to jump through to produce a script for such a project. That being said, Star Trek at its best has always had top-notch writing, no matter the series.
There's nothing unreasonable there.

Here's Orci's response:
...frankly, your tone and attidude make it hard for me to listen to what might otherwise be decent notions to pursue in the future. As I love to say, there is a reason why I get to write the movies, and you don’t.
FUCK OFF!

Then again, as I pointed out in the Trekmovie thread, the article comes out of left field and has no bearing to reality whatsoever.

RAMA
Old September 7 2013, 11:46 PM   #207
SeerSGB
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The fanbase finally got a look in the mirror in regards to how they act towards and treat the creators of Trek and found they didn't like what they saw.
And it's annoying how many fans think Orci was in the wrong for defending himself. Is this really the face we want on fandom: entitled, spoiled, brats.

FUCK OFF!

Well as we've seen in this thread, some fans think the crew should "Shut the fuck up" and take it.
Old September 8 2013, 12:04 AM   #208
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Is this really the face we want on fandom: entitled, spoiled, brats.
Yeah.

Some days though it seems like they're fighting a religious war.
Old September 8 2013, 12:09 AM   #209
SeerSGB
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Is this really the face we want on fandom: entitled, spoiled, brats.
Yeah.

Some days though it seems like they're fighting a religious war.
I think, for some of them, in their mind they honestly believe they are.
Old September 8 2013, 12:40 AM   #210
Opus
Commodore

Yep. Trek fans might want to aim higher than 'religious fanatic'.

IDIC, or something...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote