TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Revelation and Dust.
Outstanding 29 25.00%
Above Average 46 39.66%
Average 27 23.28%
Below Average 8 6.90%
Poor 6 5.17%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 6 2013, 08:35 PM   #151
Mage
Commodore

Re: TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

trash80 wrote: View Post
I didn't know he had died to be honest i thought he had just returned to the GQ, which book is that in?
No book as of yet, that's the problem. It's been hinted in the last few novels by DRGIII that something happened in the 4 years between The Soul Key and RBoE that involved the Even Odds and this character we speak off. Appereantly, this character died then. We don't know any of the specifics, only that it happened.
Old September 6 2013, 08:44 PM   #152
Christopher
Writer

Reports of his death were greatly exaggerated? It's been known to happen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 09:40 PM   #153
Masiral
Captain

Halliwell wrote: View Post
In DTI: Watching The Clock, Commander Juel Duncan traveled back to December 2381, to stop the assassination of Nan Bacco. He even doubled back on her timeline to have the double Bacco help him stop it. What was such a big deal in the following couple of years that Duncan had to come back and fix it if she was meant to die so soon afterward?
My guess would be the formation of the Typhon Pact and ensuring that there would be more of a cold war between the Khitomer Accords powers and the Typhon Pact powers.
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 10:08 PM   #154
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Masiral wrote: View Post
In DTI: Watching The Clock, Commander Juel Duncan traveled back to December 2381, to stop the assassination of Nan Bacco. He even doubled back on her timeline to have the double Bacco help him stop it. What was such a big deal in the following couple of years that Duncan had to come back and fix it if she was meant to die so soon afterward?
My guess would be the formation of the Typhon Pact and ensuring that there would be more of a cold war between the Khitomer Accords powers and the Typhon Pact powers.
More likely the fact that CLB did not know Bacco will be snuffed out soon afterwards when DTI was written.
Which is why cmdr. J Duncan even expressed admiration for Bacco's achievements - none of which, as it turned out, are significant enough to be remembered as exceptional after 600 years.
Old September 6 2013, 11:05 PM   #155
Christopher
Writer

That's not how it works. If history records things happening a certain way, then that's the way they're supposed to happen, as far as the Temporal Integrity Commission is concerned.

Besides, nobody exists in isolation. We interact with other people every day, and our presence affects their actions, which in turn affect the actions of others, etc. It's the domino effect. And someone with the power of the Federation President is going to make decisions that set a lot of dominoes in motion. Changing the length of that president's term in office, even by a couple of years, could change a great deal of the ensuing history, even if the key changes are quite a few dominoes down the line.

Bacco has made some important decisions in the interim, though. For instance, I doubt relations with the Romulans would be as good now if she and Praetor Kamemor hadn't pursued their talks. Who knows whether a different president would've been willing to extend that trust? Alternatively, a different president might've responded differently to the Breen's slipstream espionage attempt, and by now either the Breen would have slipstream or the Federation and the Pact would be at war.

Old September 7 2013, 05:19 PM   #156
langdonboom
Lieutenant

readers have yet to witness all the steps she’s taken, since a period of time—roughly 2377 through 2380—has thus far gone undocumented in the DS9 novels. If the books continue to sell well, though, there is every chance that at least some of those developments will be explored in more detail somewhere down the road.
At the risk of beating a dead horse, I really cannot wait to read about this gap - though I have really enjoyed this most recent run of DS9 related books, I cannot help but be utterly jarred and frustrated every time some reference to this missing gap is invoked - and there are plenty of them! From Raiq in the monastery, to Odo and the missing Founders, to Rebecca's kidnapping fallout, etc to the 'death' of Taran'atar and why he attacked Ro, never mind what happened to Jake - all the emotional heft that these events that were set-up to be world-shaking has seemingly been drained out of them for me, and so have their ramifications since it just feels like a traumatic gap in my memory to come across their effects in the current context.

Its not that I don't like where the stories have taken everybody - I love that Kira's a vedek, I love that Odo is back in the Alpha Quadrant, I love that Sisko has found a new path post-Emissary, but I just feel that all of these developments are tainted because when I read about how they happened, I'm just reminded that I wasn't there to see it.

I almost wish there weren't so many references to these story ramifications, because its very clear that the author knows how important these plot events were in his descriptions of them in the most recent book or two, but it just jolts me out of the flow of this current story to be asked to absorb the importance of things like the Acendants, or the trip by Ghemor's double in to the wormhole, when I've been narrative jerked around as it were (as opposed to deftly disoriented in some sort of french-novel way, which a more deliberate time-jump might have allowed for).

Does anybody have any idea how well these DS9 books are selling? The sooner these storylines are told, the better for this reader. The notion that 'anything can happen' is gone out of them now, of course, but even still, I was so completely fascinated by the idea of another race who worshiped the prophets somehow on the other side of the worm hole, and by the idea of a planet-sized changeling (and I'm sure I've forgetting a few other things left dangling...), etc.
langdonboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 05:34 PM   #157
Elias Vaughn
Captain

langdonboom wrote: View Post
to the 'death' of Taran'atar and why he attacked Ro, never mind what happened to Jake
We know both of these.

I'm assuming that's the Jake thing you're referring to, anyway.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 05:45 PM   #158
langdonboom
Lieutenant

Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
langdonboom wrote: View Post
to the 'death' of Taran'atar and why he attacked Ro, never mind what happened to Jake
We know both of these.

I'm assuming that's the Jake thing you're referring to, anyway.
Yes, that's right, thank you. I forgot about just how and why Taran'atar was being affected - was that in Warpath? And I forgot exactly where Jake was at the end of Warpath/Soul Key - wasn't he on the Even Odds?? Its definitely been a while, but the thing I definitely recall s being excited about where it was all going! Still dealing with a serious case of plotus interruptus.
langdonboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 05:58 PM   #159
Mimi
Lieutenant Commander

It definitely is frustrating not to know what happened. I do applaud them for shaking things up a bit- most people would simply write [four?] years in the future as though nothing had changed. They clearly have some idea about what went on in those missing years, as there's references to it all the time.

It seems that in the recent interviews they've teased the idea of revisiting that time period. I'm not sure if this has any bearings as I'm relatively 'new' to the fandom, but DS9 seems to have grown in popularity thanks to streaming sites like netflix.

This book was listed as one of the top selling trek books on amazon for a little bit, although I'm not sure if that's simply a weekly list or an all time list. Hopefully that indicates its done well.
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 06:35 PM   #160
Christopher
Writer

^Amazon's top-seller lists are updated hourly. It's sort of a mix between up-to-the-moment and cumulative data.

Old September 7 2013, 06:45 PM   #161
Mimi
Lieutenant Commander

That's good to know! I suppose its not super indicative of how well a book is doing then, but still nice to see it was at least charting for a bit based on release sales.
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 08:46 PM   #162
jaime
Ensign

I have to vote poor as well I am afraid. Too many big time jumps and too much of a reboot pilot in which almost nothing of note actually happens in relation to the story's length. There just....isn't a story here. Now, once its Sat next to the next book which must theoretically take place in roughly the exact same timeframe, you might begin to get an A and B story tng/ds9 story. But this is the B story. And the C counting Kiras umpteenth bajoran history flashback com prophet virtual construct. Oh....and the sales brochure for the new ds9 got sadly dull quickly, especially how often people were stated as disliking the old one. The new one is a tad ugly for a start....even space dock doesn't have a logo that big.
jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 07:12 AM   #163
Mage
Commodore

Mimi wrote: View Post
That's good to know! I suppose its not super indicative of how well a book is doing then, but still nice to see it was at least charting for a bit based on release sales.

Little off-topic, but your Kira avatar is great!! Where did you find it?
Old September 8 2013, 09:06 AM   #164
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Mage wrote: View Post
Mimi wrote: View Post

Little off-topic, but your Kira avatar is great!! Where did you find it?
It's from the cover of the German translation of DS9: Unity:

Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:09 AM   #165
Mage
Commodore

^^^^^
Thanks for the quick reply, beautifull cover!