Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 5 2013, 05:59 AM   #16
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Re: What if... (poss spoilers)

I still don't get why, if River can "send" Amy the book she wrote, that the Doctor can't go back and visit, and just not take them with him. There would only be a paradox if they stepped into the TARDIS and it took them away and didn't bring them back. Anyway, yeah an Amy and Rory appearance of some description (even if it's a flashback to something we hadn't previously seen) would be nice.

At the very least 11's reward won't be as long as ten's, because he didn't have as many companions... though if you count River, Strax, Jenny and Vastra, and maybe Churchill and Dorian, that adds a few more.

I actually personally hope that the regeneration itself is quite quick this time round, eg "Oh no Clara, I'm shot, stand back!"
Old September 5 2013, 09:08 AM   #17
Starkers
Admiral

I think Amy and Rory will be in it, but only insofar as Tegan, Nyssa and co were in Androzani.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Tom
Rear Admiral

What would be interesting is 12 was in the episode in some way beyond the regeneration scene. Maybe he is a is this mysterious person that helps 11 (a little like the watcher but not some weird white dude lol). He helps Clara perhaps with the (unconscious) injured 11 (getting them out of danger back to the Tardis) , then the man leaves. 11 regenerates and Clara finds out the man helping her was the Doctor all along!
Old September 5 2013, 09:14 PM   #19
Starkers
Admiral

That would be cooler if we didn't know Capaldi was going to be 12 though.

Old September 6 2013, 03:30 AM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Starkers wrote: View Post
I dunno. I know many people who watched "Asylum of the Daleks," knew Jenna-Louise Coleman was going to be the next companion, and didn't make the connection between Oswin and JLC. Of course, the difference is that 1) Peter Capaldi is better known than JLC was, 2) JLC wasn't introduced to fandom in a highly watched American Idol results show like Capaldi was, and 3) the BBC would promote the Christmas special as the end of one Doctor and the start of the next, all of which would negate the surprise potential.

I am partial to the idea floated above that the regeneration should happen mid-episode (I'm guessing somewhere between the 40 and 60 percent mark) so that the episode can end on a note of triumph rather than tragedy. However, Downton Abbey ended its Christmas special last year with Matthew Crawley bleeding out, so maybe the British public tolerates downer endings on Christmas Day.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 04:53 AM   #21
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I've never felt that having the regeneration at the end was a tragedy. It's sort of the perfect Christmas story, actually. The Doctor falls and then rises again. I always have found regeneration to be very exciting and always excited to see what's next.
Old September 6 2013, 08:54 AM   #22
Starkers
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
I dunno. I know many people who watched "Asylum of the Daleks," knew Jenna-Louise Coleman was going to be the next companion, and didn't make the connection between Oswin and JLC. Of course, the difference is that 1) Peter Capaldi is better known than JLC was, 2) JLC wasn't introduced to fandom in a highly watched American Idol results show like Capaldi was, and 3) the BBC would promote the Christmas special as the end of one Doctor and the start of the next, all of which would negate the surprise potential.

I am partial to the idea floated above that the regeneration should happen mid-episode (I'm guessing somewhere between the 40 and 60 percent mark) so that the episode can end on a note of triumph rather than tragedy. However, Downton Abbey ended its Christmas special last year with Matthew Crawley bleeding out, so maybe the British public tolerates downer endings on Christmas Day.
Well it could be, one of the most famous Christmas specials was an episode of the soap Eastenders that ended with Dirty Den handing his wife divorce papers so maybe we just don't like a happy christmas!

Old September 6 2013, 01:23 PM   #23
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

Everybody dying is very much a Christmasday trope with the soaps.

dJE
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 01:41 PM   #24
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Or being born. How many kids or adults are running around Coronation street with a birthday of 25 December? Including, ironically, their own anti-Christ David Platt.
Old September 6 2013, 02:40 PM   #25
The Wormhole
Admiral

Moffat has said this is going to be a "traditional regeneration story" so that likely means regeneration will occur at the end of the episode, like it has in seven out of the previous nine regeneration stories. Can't get much more traditional than that.
Old September 6 2013, 03:59 PM   #26
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Count me in the camp who just wants a normal send-off, where it occurs at the end of the episode. I'd like Matt to get a nice full story to depart in. We'll have plenty of time to get to know Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, no need to rush it.

Conversely, Capaldi should have his own introduction story. If it's crammed into a part of an episode, you won't get nice scenes like we did in 11th Hour.

I think it's better for both to do it the traditional way.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 01:42 AM   #27
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Since we're talking regenerations, I wonder if we'll ever listen to an audio story about the Eighth Doctor's regeneration, or even a better send-off for the Sixth Doctor before his Rani-sized accident.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 02:11 AM   #28
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Since we're talking regenerations, I wonder if we'll ever listen to an audio story about the Eighth Doctor's regeneration, or even a better send-off for the Sixth Doctor before his Rani-sized accident.
McGann, hard to know where it might go, considering Hurt and The Time War, and everything we only see sketches of. C. Baker, Big Finish could probably do it and I think it would actually be very cool

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:18 AM   #29
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

A near enough traditional regeneration would be good to me. But I'd like five minutes with the new doctor like we did Smith in the End of Time.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote