Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 4 2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Konata Izumi
Commander

Re: So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Granted this doesn't take into account the marketing budget or the theater/distributor cuts of the box office.
What's the deal with theater/distributor cuts? I heard they don't get much, and rely on snack sales, but you'd think it's still a significant cost. While supposedly the marketing budgets can be close to the size of production budgets. Yet doubling the production budget is considered a financial success? Sounds like in a way blockbusters are made for dvd lol.

Of course some get closer to tripling the production budget (I thought the new Treks did this), or more.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 02:03 PM   #17
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Granted this doesn't take into account the marketing budget or the theater/distributor cuts of the box office.
What's the deal with theater/distributor cuts? I heard they don't get much, and rely on snack sales, but you'd think it's still a significant cost. While supposedly the marketing budgets can be close to the size of production budgets. Yet doubling the production budget is considered a financial success? Sounds like in a way blockbusters are made for dvd lol.

Of course some get closer to tripling the production budget (I thought the new Treks did this), or more.

This article explains the theater's cut of the ticket sales: http://themovieblog.com/2007/economi...ts-us-so-much/

In short, the amount varies by movie and how long the movie has been out.

If you look at the link I posted previously, it shows the production budget and box office sales for each movie.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Bumbles861
Admiral

Those numbers are pretty remarkable. You would think that the studios would be broadcasting those numbers as much as they do the box office totals every week. Is there somewhere on the net that collectively discusses actual Blu-ray/DVD sales?
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 06:46 PM   #19
thumbtack
Commodore

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Those numbers are pretty remarkable. You would think that the studios would be broadcasting those numbers as much as they do the box office totals every week. Is there somewhere on the net that collectively discusses actual Blu-ray/DVD sales?
You do get some mention of those numbers if you own stock in the parent company of whichever studio, but it's almost like the trades forget a movie ever existed once it leaves theaters.
Old September 6 2013, 10:50 PM   #20
Cicero
Admiral

Devon wrote: View Post
I figured as much, but I've heard others mention on other sites that STID was a failure, both in terms of content and budget,
Not in the slightest.
Well, perhaps about that much (saying nothing about content):

Summer 2013: Winners and Losers (Box Office Mojo)

Box Office Mojo wrote:
Star Trek Into Darkness: The 2009 Star Trek reboot is one of the most well-liked Summer movies of the past decade, so there was an assumption that sequel Star Trek Into Darkness was going to improve dramatically on its predecessor. That didn't really pan out: the movie earned a bit less at the domestic box office (around $230 million), and its overseas gains weren't quite as big as expected. Ultimately, Star Trek Into Darkness will earn less than $500 million worldwide, which is slightly disappointing.
Old September 6 2013, 11:21 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

You know I love that last bit about the Rest of the World box office gains not being as big as expected.

Lets look at the numbers ST (2009) US$127.95m, STID US$234m. An increase of something like 83%. Do we know what Paramount were expecting the increase to be. Because I suspect that 83% would hardly be considered bad.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 07:11 AM   #22
Cicero
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
You know I love that last bit about the Rest of the World box office gains not being as big as expected.

Lets look at the numbers ST (2009) US$127.95m, STID US$234m. An increase of something like 83%. Do we know what Paramount were expecting the increase to be. Because I suspect that 83% would hardly be considered bad.
My impression (which might be inaccurate) is that they were looking for something in the 180%–280% range – the type of increase seen after the first movies in the Pirates and Dark Knight series.
Old September 7 2013, 07:15 AM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Cicero wrote: View Post
My impression (which might be inaccurate) is that they were looking for something in the 180%–280% range – the type of increase seen after the first movies in the Pirates and Dark Knight series.
Then they were just not very bright to expect that type of growth from a property that has never done well in international markets.
Old September 7 2013, 04:23 PM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
More than double the amount sold for Star Wars? A lot of fans have refused to buy that because it doesn't have the originals. I imagine STID will not be as successful as ST'09 in light of Paramount/Bad Robot's latest tactics.

Also, there's a caveat to that list. It only captures sales from July 2009 onward. It's missing the first 7 months of sales for The Dark Knight, yet it's at 2.6 million. That's probably the true #1, making Star Trek #4.

I don't think the sales for the format from before that year were as high, but the numbers are probably not exact.

The majority of people who purchase blurays are not Trekkies, and most won't care exactly what the extras are.

RAMA
Old September 8 2013, 06:55 AM   #25
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Devon wrote: View Post
I imagine STID will not be as successful as ST'09 in light of Paramount/Bad Robot's latest tactics.
If STID is not as successful it won't be because of that. People at large are buying the DVD/Blu-Ray to watch the film, not because they are dying to see the Behind-the-Scenes look at Benedict Cumberbatch's hairdo.
I'm not too happy about the commentary decision but I agree with you. A vocal minority is unhappy. Maybe 5% of the people that'd be buying...maybe.
Old September 8 2013, 07:50 AM   #26
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

More than double the amount sold for Star Wars? A lot of fans have refused to buy that because it doesn't have the originals.

Perhaps more accurate to say ReBuy, there's a difference between buying a film on DVD then upgrading to Blu-Ray, and just buying a brand new film on Blu-Ray.