Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 6 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Should Text from Set Decorations Be Considered Canon?

Lately, I've been noticing that on Memory Alpha, with the new TNG Blu-Rays, folks have been taking to filling in names and registries for starships, and other information, based on screencaps of quick flashes of display screens.

Frankly, I don't like it, but it really brought up the question of the thread - should these materials be considered canon?

Specifically, I'm talking not about things that the production team knew we the viewers would read, but smaller things that require screencap and study to fully interpret. How much of this should we accept as "fact" and why?

Personally, I think this sort of material falls into two groups; the production team in newer productions seems to like to include Easter Eggs for viewers and hardcore fans to pause and look at, whereas in older productions I think it was generally assumed that most of it was not going to be seen by fans, and so many in-jokes were included. The former, such as the bio screens in ENT's "In A Mirror Darkly" I'm more apt to include than information about the "Great Bird of the Galaxy," a bird with a man's head from early TNG.

What say you?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 10:33 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Should Text from Set Decorations Be Considered Canon?

Unless it's out and out goofy, or jibberish, I say yes on canon.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 10:39 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Nope. They're fun easter eggs or trivia, but nothing more. I'm not gonna lose any sleep if a plaque on the bridge says the Enterpise was comissioned on date X but an episode puts it on date Y.

Trek is more of a mythology, wide open to interpretation and modification, than a story set in stone.
Old September 6 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Deja Vu.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Nine of Four
Commander

^ ^ Tru dat!!!!
Old September 7 2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I'd rather experience Dejah Thoris.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old September 7 2013, 12:37 AM   #7
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Did I miss a thread?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old September 7 2013, 12:44 AM   #8
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yes
Old September 7 2013, 01:39 AM   #9
austen_pierce
Captain

Sounds like we're duplicating but without a link back to the original, I'll add my two cents here. My feeling is that in the absence of contradiction, we can assume that what we see and read on screen is canon. If contradicted by dialogue, dialogue wins. Call it canon triage (groaner, I know).
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Ah, frak. Mods, feel free to close this one. Totally didn't see the other one.
Old September 7 2013, 01:57 AM   #11
mythme
Commodore

its what is sometimes referred to as soft- or quasi-canon. as said above, unless it is jibberish or contradicted by something verbally stated, then it is accepted as truth. But this has been the convention even before the age of Blu-Ray. The text in the "Conundrum" bios, for instance. No where is it said that Beverly was born on the moon. But there it is, and is universally accepted. In fact, during the remastering process they are often making the text jibe with accepted canon, often removing the sillier "inside jokes" from the original Okudagrams, like Claire Raymond's descendants being Muppets in "The Neutral Zone"
Old September 7 2013, 03:15 AM   #12
Kegg
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Nope. They're fun easter eggs or trivia, but nothing more.
Which is precisely why they should be on Memory Alpha. All the little details is half of the fun of that site.

I don't see anything wrong in considering them canon. Okay, it might be canon that contradicts some other canon but that is hardly new.
Old September 7 2013, 03:26 AM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

But this means all those Buckaroo Banzai and Dirty Pair references are then canon. Well, screw it. In my fictional sci-fi universe, equipment and support craft are often brandnamed as Kurosawa.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 03:27 PM   #14
jpv2000
Captain

mythme wrote: View Post
its what is sometimes referred to as soft- or quasi-canon. as said above, unless it is jibberish or contradicted by something verbally stated, then it is accepted as truth. But this has been the convention even before the age of Blu-Ray. The text in the "Conundrum" bios, for instance. No where is it said that Beverly was born on the moon. But there it is, and is universally accepted. In fact, during the remastering process they are often making the text jibe with accepted canon, often removing the sillier "inside jokes" from the original Okudagrams, like Claire Raymond's descendants being Muppets in "The Neutral Zone"
Indeed. This, and what was said above is how I've always looked at it.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 06:10 PM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

The large display in sickbay: "Medical Insurance Remaining."

The lettering isn't exactly small, there are lot's of broadcast episodes where it clearly visible, not just on DVD/blueray.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote