Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 6 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

Pre TOS star cruiser....

So I'm thinking this could be my next 3D project: my pre TOS cruiser concept based on one of Matt Jefferies sketches.

I'm envisioning this as the previous major design before the Constitution-class Heavy Cruiser. I'm also imaging the Valiant (re: "A Taste Of Armageddon") and possibly the Republic (re: "Court Martial") being of this vintage.

Last edited by Warped9; September 6 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Re: Pre TOS star cruiser....

It's the basically the cadet cruiser from the proposed animated series that didn't get made, isn't it? That would make it the Republic, yes?
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Warped9
Admiral

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
It's the basically the cadet cruiser from the proposed animated series that didn't get made, isn't it? That would make it the Republic, yes?
I have no idea what you're referring to. I based this off one of MJ's concept sketches from when he was working out the design for the TOS Enterprise. I drew one up near twenty years ago, but now I'm updating it for 3D.

Presently I'm working on more precise linework in shapes and proportions in Illustrator. I'll probably call it the Valiant if I don't think of another name.
Old September 6 2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

From Wikipedia: An early Filmation proposal for [the animated Star Trek] series had children assigned to each of the senior officers as cadets, including a young Vulcan for Mr. Spock. According to interviews with Norm Prescott, Paramount offered Roddenberry a substantial sum of money to abandon creative control of the project and let Filmation proceed with their "kiddy space cadet" idea. Roddenberry refused. Filmation would later develop the idea into its own original live action program, Space Academy, in 1977.

There's been some of the production art floating around with that particular ship design along with the original crew and their younger counterparts for some time now.

Here's the one with the kiddies: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/...e391d5fb13.jpg
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Warped9
Admiral

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
From Wikipedia: An early Filmation proposal for [the animated Star Trek] series had children assigned to each of the senior officers as cadets, including a young Vulcan for Mr. Spock. According to interviews with Norm Prescott, Paramount offered Roddenberry a substantial sum of money to abandon creative control of the project and let Filmation proceed with their "kiddy space cadet" idea. Roddenberry refused. Filmation would later develop the idea into its own original live action program, Space Academy, in 1977.

There's been some of the production art floating around with that particular ship design along with the original crew and their younger counterparts for some time now.

Here's the one with the kiddies: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/...e391d5fb13.jpg
Oh, I remember that now. I also remember being deathly afraid they would actually make it. Thank God it never came to pass. I don't ever recall seeing any ship ideas, though.

Here's a better idea of developing shapes and proportions.

Old September 7 2013, 02:03 AM   #6
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

Is that the side and front elevations in one view?

dJE
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 02:46 AM   #7
Warped9
Admiral

danellis wrote: View Post
Is that the side and front elevations in one view?

dJE
Yes. I did it for simplicity's sake to get shapes right and lined up correctly. This is just a quick layout drawing.

Here is a little more.

Although it's more rudimentary and in a sense devolved from the design MJ finally arrived at you can see the familiar elements. And in roughly similar fashion as MJ worked through this to his final concept. The main difference is this idea was just a stepping stone to what MJ decided on while I'm working it as if this was the final concept to be fleshed out.

Some of these ships could still be in operation in Kirk's era. Perhaps the ship Pike was injured aboard was one of these.

Last edited by Warped9; September 7 2013 at 02:56 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 03:10 AM   #8
Nightowl1701
Commander

This looks a LOT like your USS Farragut image from a few years ago.

You described that ship as being roughly between the Valiant/Republic and the Enterprise evolution-wise, circa 2225 or so. So is this that vessel, or are you fleshing out the earlier vessel design?
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 04:11 AM   #9
Warped9
Admiral

This design's evolution:

About twenty years ago I adapted one of MJ's sketches to design this.

Then some years ago (about five or so) I used Photoshop to fashion this, a slicker version of the previous design.

And now we are at my present stage which I will model in 3D. It's essentially the same thing, but at each stage I simply tried to improve on what I did before. The Photoshop version was a try at fixing things I felt I could do better than before and the 3D model will be a further refinement. One could make a case for it being the same class ship showing evolution in design over time. The Photoshop version is obviously closer to the final form although there obviously will be differences. And having a 3D model will make it much easier to view the ship from any angle.
Old September 7 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Albertese
Commodore

Nice! This is one of my favorites of your work. I'll follow this one closely!

--Alex
Old September 7 2013, 08:00 PM   #11
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Ditto, looking very much forward to this.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 09:44 PM   #12
publiusr
Commodore

I love it so far!
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:34 PM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

It starts with a saucer. Needless to say that I'm making running changes as I go forward. Depending on final scale the saucer will be 7-9 decks thick.

Old September 8 2013, 03:34 AM   #14
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I like that your concept for this saucer appears to essentially be a series of nested, flattened hemispheres. Makes very much sense as an early vessel. Theoretically, it should be very structurally sound.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:10 PM   #15
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Very nice work.
I always liked the design of that NCC-809. This should look very good in 3D.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote