Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old September 6 2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Stargate to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

'Stargate' to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Roland Emmerich has confirmed that he intends to reboot the Stargate franchise as a new movie trilogy.

The White House Down filmmaker directed and co-wrote the original movie incarnation of Stargate in 1994.

Emmerich told Digital Spy: "We went to MGM, who has the rights, and proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot... and reboot it as a movie and then do three parts. Pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start."
I'm guessing Emmerich will completely ignore the series, and the movie and show will now be Alternate Universes.
Old September 6 2013, 01:23 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Stargate to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Let's be cautious here. A couple of years ago there was news of a possible movie revival that would ignore the series, and it turned out that it was just Dean Devlin saying he wanted to do that, and nothing ever came of it. This sounds like more of the same. Emmerich is saying he intends to do a reboot, and that he proposed it to MGM, but he never says that MGM has agreed to his proposal. Until MGM says they're onboard, there's no reason to give this any more credence than the stuff from two years ago.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old September 6 2013, 01:57 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

Dean Devlin's been trotting this claim out every so often dating at least as far back as 2006. Well, okay, this time it's different in that it's going to be a reboot with a new cast as opposed to the previous plan to do a sequel with Kurt Russell and James Spader which ignored the series.

And in all honesty, I'll admit it's a valid idea. The Stargate franchise is dead, a reboot seems inevitable at some point and why not try it out as a film series? But Devlin and Emmerich? Sorry, that just doesn't excite me. The original Stargate movie is okay and has its entertainment value, but those two aren't exactly the best choices to make a movie. Any movie. Though I'll admit, Stargate could do much worse...
Old September 6 2013, 04:41 AM   #4
dansigal
Lieutenant Commander

I'll be interested in anything that happens involving Stargate, but this isn't news. These two have been talking about their intentions for almost a decade now. If their intentions were all it took there would have been two sequels made directly after the first movie. Wake me up when something has been greenlit.
Old September 6 2013, 05:39 AM   #5
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Not going to happen. Every other year Emmerich comes out and says this garbage, no one ever believes him because MGM has never said anything, and never will. If MGM wants a reboot they can get better people and their knowe it.

He's full of himself.
Old September 6 2013, 01:27 PM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral

I'd echo what others have said, rumours of a sequel to the original Stargate movie have been circulating for several years and nothing has ever come it. Even if MGM were to greenlight a new movie(s) it might be years before any movie sees the light day.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old September 6 2013, 02:14 PM   #7
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Woah woah. That's how stuff gets blown out of proportions.

He said they were talking about it. They were not even talking, they just pitched it. That's all.

Stop jumping at everything, people.
Old September 6 2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Tom
Rear Admiral

This is from the same people who tell us every year about the ID4 sequels coming out! Believe it when they start filming.. lol
Old September 6 2013, 03:13 PM   #9
AJ86
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
'Stargate' to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Roland Emmerich has confirmed that he intends to reboot the Stargate franchise as a new movie trilogy.

The White House Down filmmaker directed and co-wrote the original movie incarnation of Stargate in 1994.

Emmerich told Digital Spy: "We went to MGM, who has the rights, and proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot... and reboot it as a movie and then do three parts. Pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start."
I'm guessing Emmerich will completely ignore the series, and the movie and show will now be Alternate Universes.
Ha ha ha. He does this every couple of years!
Old September 6 2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Although I have the same doubts as everyone else, due to the many previous claims that never led anywhere, but, just to play Angel's Advocate, he actually states pretty soon they'll be looking for a writer. Have the previous claims gone so far as to indicate they were about to start writing it?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old September 6 2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

^Looking for a writer doesn't necessarily mean anything. There are countless spec scripts that nobody's bought, scripts in development that never get produced, etc. Hiring a writer is often a stage in the pitching process rather than the production process.

Old September 6 2013, 06:01 PM   #12
dansigal
Lieutenant Commander

They don't need any studio approval or involvement to look for a writer or do a treatment or an outline. From my understanding those types of things happen all the time before studios get involved. Or he could just mean finding a writer to propose to the studio. The ONLY thing different about this claim is that he's transitioned from continuation to reboot. It's still nothing but smoke right now.

Not to mention that he didn't even say that they have started to write it, he says "pretty soon we'll have to start looking for a writer." I have no idea what that means.
Old September 6 2013, 06:21 PM   #13
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Even if this was to happen, I wouldn't be excited. The original movie was pretty weak (although it was still better than Stargate Universe, which was barely a Stargate series) and SG-1 was what made the series as famous as it is, so I don't see how ignoring that would make for a good movie. Besides, after star trek, when I hear that a franchise I like is getting rebooted, I just can't think of it being any good. It could be done, but honestly I'd rather them just let the franchise stay dead.
Old September 6 2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

dansigal wrote: View Post
Not to mention that he didn't even say that they have started to write it, he says "pretty soon we'll have to start looking for a writer." I have no idea what that means.
It means he's trying to make it sound like there's actually some movement.

Old September 6 2013, 11:23 PM   #15
dansigal
Lieutenant Commander

This from Gateworld:

A source told GateWorld that, while preliminary conversations are taking place between the producers and the studio, the project is not yet in development. The director’s comments indicate that the next step in the process is to hire a screenwriter. Any official production commitment from the studio would likely require at least a completed script that all parties are happy with.