Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 2 2013, 03:53 AM   #16
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: Khan Side By Side Review

What i mean to say is Blu-ray offers so much more than just a perfect picture--deleted scenes, seamless branching between versions....

so if the picture isn't 100% perfect there are other reasons to get the blu-ray.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Goodness, you'd think they'd notice that it's now the USS Smurferprise...
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 01:56 PM   #18
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

But the TWOK blue-ray has the original theatrical cut, no branching, and just an extra commentary and that's it. The Director's cut from DVD is the way to go, it's the correct color and looks great! (Though I do wish it had the one-shot two-camera exchange in the turbo-lift like the ABC version)
Old September 6 2013, 05:31 PM   #19
jpv2000
Captain

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
But the TWOK blue-ray has the original theatrical cut, no branching, and just an extra commentary and that's it. The Director's cut from DVD is the way to go, it's the correct color and looks great! (Though I do wish it had the one-shot two-camera exchange in the turbo-lift like the ABC version)
Agreed. I really enjoyed the ABC version the best.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:37 PM   #20
austen_pierce
Captain

Not sure I follow. What's the difference?
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 06:24 PM   #21
Grant
Fleet Captain

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Not sure I follow. What's the difference?

The only significant difference between the ABC cut and the director's cut is the ABC cut uses close-ups for the Kirk/Saavik turbo-lift scene---as seen here..............

[COLOR=#dbdbdb][COLOR=#aabbcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYlPifDUBg[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old September 6 2013, 06:30 PM   #22
Grant
Fleet Captain

I disagree----there is no "way to go."

If you prefer the theatrical cut--you get stuck with wrong color timing in HD

If you prefer the Director's cut you don't get to see it in HD.

If you prefer the ABC cut you have to watch an old VHS tape.

How about a proper HD release, with proper color timing and all 3 versions of the movie and all the deleted/alternate scenes?

Oops, we're talking about paramount--never mind.
Old September 17 2013, 12:56 PM   #23
DrBeverly
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I watched the blu-ray before reading the forum and comments about the 'blue-ness' of the transfer, and I didn't notice anything. In hindsight, it's really different, but none of this occurred to me when I was watching the film, and didn't affect my enjoyment in the slightest.
DrBeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Grant
Fleet Captain

I have seen TWOK 30 times over the years and if I was shown a version where Regula was blue-gray instead of red/brown-----I would have noticed and I did.

But if you don't notice then I guess it doesn't matter. I guess it's okay to change something as long as some folks don't notice.
Old September 17 2013, 02:35 PM   #25
22 Stars
Commodore

Ok, I just have to chime in since I was carrying this torch for so long!

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=118964

PS I noticed too!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 03:05 PM   #26
Grant
Fleet Captain

The whole point of Blu-ray was simple but ambitious---collect the all versions of a movie and present them with the best clarity and color accuracy possible and in the case of 'claasic' titles have a plethora of nice bonus features....

The TWOK Blu-ray fails in every respect.

Collects only one version of the 3 versions of the film.
(which everyone at the time scoffed at, saying 'don't worry the inevitable double dip will be here soon'---it's been 4 years and they just missed their best marketing opportunity until the 50th anniversary in 2016--7 years since the first release.)

Incorrect color timing.

Lack of proper extras such as deleted scenes, out-takes, and a commentary from a solid Trek/movie expert--as opposed to simply the director and a 'celebrity fan'.

Elimination of previous extras---such as the text commentary by the Okudas

Okay, TWOK isn't Citizen Kane, but it's the Trek standard and a classic of the genre---too bad Paramount didn't sell off the property years ago.

Ironically TWOK isn't the worst offender in the TOS movie Blu-rays as the other 5 don't even have a proper restoration of the original film elements.

TOS Blu-ray collection = fail.
Old September 17 2013, 03:11 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Wow.... not that blue McFly....
Old September 18 2013, 05:48 AM   #28
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
Amazingly, there are some folks who say the blue version of Regula is EXACTLY how it looked in the theater 31 years ago!

But I have now read at least 5 different posts from people who have seen vintage prints stating, yes regula is red/brown in vintage 35mm prints!
Trouble with this assessment that when films deteriorate with age they go red (water from JAWS turned pink less than two decades after its release), so if they looked at the prints even 10 years later, they were already probably fading that way. I saw a theatrical screening of a 35mm print of TWOK less than a decade ago and it was so OTT red it was almost like there was a filter over the movie and it most definitely did not recapture the theatrical experience I had with the film (7 or 8 times during first-run, and at four different cinemas.)

TWOK is a very red movie compared to TMP, but that's true even on the BR. I think what most people are remembering of the film is the way TWOK looked on VHS and laserdisc and DVD, which was pronouncedly red, probably from somebody cranking a knob too far.

It's probably hard to get a good line on what the color is supposed to be, because of the ambient color lighting on the bridge scenes and other sets. Part of the problem on these films is that nobody's skin tones look all that good, probably because they're reflecting all these unpleasant grey to beige tones off the set walls onto the faces. I remember thinking that when Kirk squares off against Kruge near the end of SFS, 'this is the first time since the series that anybody has got good skin tone' (probably the only thing I remember liking about the last half of that movie!)

For some reason this issue seemed to be minimized once they got the new bridge in TFF & TUC; even though the walls differ drastically (from ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST warmth to submarine movie grey) in these, you don't get the feeling these people's lifeforce is being sapped up by the bulkheads.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #29
Grant
Fleet Captain

Nah, all the promotional material and stills and photos and tie-in products many of which I still have----all had regula as red/brown back in 1982---NOT blue/gray.

The Blu-ray is dead wrong unless every bit of material they ever releaed back in the day was wrong too.
Old September 18 2013, 04:57 PM   #30
Grant
Fleet Captain

Making of Trek 2 Regula brown

TWOK calendar---Regula brown