CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 2 2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Re: Humpback whales

Noddy wrote: View Post
So humpback whales are aliens? Erm....not too sure what to make of that.
So long, and thanks for all the krill!
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 08:37 AM   #17
KarmicCurse
Lieutenant

I inferred that the aliens who sent the probe did not originally seed Earth with whales, but instead that the first time these aliens, or their probes, visited Earth the highest form of intelligent indigenous life was whale. So they sent another probe to check on the whales' condition unaware of human progress.
KarmicCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:34 PM   #18
Timo
Admiral

Makes sense, except it's a bit weird the aliens would first send a probe advanced enough to deduce that whales are smart and interesting, and then follow with a probe so stupid that it cannot make the same deduction on current evidence and realize there are also humans there. And chimps, and other possible challengers to the whales.

Somehow, the aliens must have decided that whales should be promoted over all later contestants. But if so, why did they stop being destructive to land-dwelling life when the whales reappeared? Surely killing surface life with added cloud cover could have been done in a way that would still leave enough plankton for the whales to weather the weather, and then emerge triumphant...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:59 PM   #19
jpv2000
Captain

Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post
Ahh time travel gives me a headache haha, I see what you're saying but again, if it was 'easy' for him, he could have gone back a few months (in the Abrams universe) warned everyone on Vulcan of their imminent destruction (or at least his own Mother) and saved many thousands of lives, his fellow Vulcans... Not just sit in hiding as he eventually does. It does open up a possible reboot of a reboot though
I really hope they don't go there. It would probably give you an even worse headache.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:13 AM   #20
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post
Ahh time travel gives me a headache haha, I see what you're saying but again, if it was 'easy' for him, he could have gone back a few months (in the Abrams universe) warned everyone on Vulcan of their imminent destruction (or at least his own Mother) and saved many thousands of lives, his fellow Vulcans... Not just sit in hiding as he eventually does. It does open up a possible reboot of a reboot though
I really hope they don't go there. It would probably give you an even worse headache.
From a certain point of view its not his mother or his Vulcan. He seems content to let things play out on their own.
Old September 6 2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Noddy
Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
Makes sense, except it's a bit weird the aliens would first send a probe advanced enough to deduce that whales are smart and interesting, and then follow with a probe so stupid that it cannot make the same deduction on current evidence and realize there are also humans there. And chimps, and other possible challengers to the whales.

Somehow, the aliens must have decided that whales should be promoted over all later contestants. But if so, why did they stop being destructive to land-dwelling life when the whales reappeared? Surely killing surface life with added cloud cover could have been done in a way that would still leave enough plankton for the whales to weather the weather, and then emerge triumphant...

Timo Saloniemi
I recall reading that in the novel Probe, the writers inferred that an attack on the Probe by the Borg in the distant past damaged its memory drive. Perhaps that could account for its odd behavior?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote