Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 2 2013, 02:38 AM   #91
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

If Dax had become male, that scene where Ezri and Worf were stranded on a planet after she went looking for him and they wind up in each other's arms might have been played quite differently.

They probably could have used a third female character from the beginning, but the problem would have been where to put her. Odo? Then both main Bajoran contacts would have been female. A female Quark wouldn't work if females weren't allowed to participate in business. A female Starfleet doctor would have been a repeat of Beverly. O'Brien was there to pull TNG fans. That leaves Sisko, and TPTB weren't ready for a female leader yet.
Old September 2 2013, 06:00 AM   #92
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

No way is Ezri the worst character in DS9 history. There are characters from Profit and Lace and Let He Who Is Without Sin to consider.
jimbotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 09:44 PM   #93
jpv2000
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
No way is Ezri the worst character in DS9 history. There are characters from Profit and Lace and Let He Who Is Without Sin to consider.
Truer words were never spoken.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:29 PM   #94
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
If Dax had become male, that scene where Ezri and Worf were stranded on a planet after she went looking for him and they wind up in each other's arms might have been played quite differently.

They probably could have used a third female character from the beginning, but the problem would have been where to put her. Odo? Then both main Bajoran contacts would have been female. A female Quark wouldn't work if females weren't allowed to participate in business. A female Starfleet doctor would have been a repeat of Beverly. O'Brien was there to pull TNG fans. That leaves Sisko, and TPTB weren't ready for a female leader yet.
I still think the bettef answer would have been to elevate the status of Yates. She did work for the Bajoran government. She could have been given responsibilities that reflected the planet's role in the war (or its response thereto).

One problem I have with saying that Ezri was a horrible character is that DeBoer was a much better actres than Farrell--they were at least equals at doing light comedy/romance.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:37 PM   #95
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I liked the idea of Ezri, but they should not have intoduced her as a full time character in the last season of a show that already had a ton of loose ends to wrap up. I can understand giving her a 2-3 episode arc to give some closure to Jadzia, but then she needed to go away. Nicole DeBoer did a nice job with the character, but the character was largely unnecessary at that time.
Old September 6 2013, 04:35 AM   #96
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Location: Rush Limborg is prepping for Christmas on The EIB Network

(You all just knew I was gonna drop in. Admit it. )

Needless to say...I completely disagree with the OP. Ezri is one of my favorite characters in the Trek universe. She was needed, thematically, as the show hadn't had her kind of personality on a regular basis in a LONG time. Story-wise, her presence was a constant symbolic reminder in the final season that "life marches on"--an element of hope, that the darkness is temporary--that "we will recover".

And as a straight guy with a thing for said kind of personality, I'm glad she wasn't a guy. Besides...while I'm all for "dramatic potential", the simple fact was the series was almost over. No need to make things more complicated than they had to be. Better to give emotional closure to the characters--Sisko, Worf, and Bashir in particular, but also Quark. Sisko had to overcome the depression he got after losing Jadzia...and the other three had to deal with their respective relationships/feelings involving Dax. Somehow, I doubt the Ninth Dax being a man would've helped much, on that.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
St. William Of Levittown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 04:37 AM   #97
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Obviously this thread is just wrong.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:06 PM   #98
jpv2000
Captain

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
(You all just knew I was gonna drop in. Admit it. )

Needless to say...I completely disagree with the OP. Ezri is one of my favorite characters in the Trek universe. She was needed, thematically, as the show hadn't had her kind of personality on a regular basis in a LONG time. Story-wise, her presence was a constant symbolic reminder in the final season that "life marches on"--an element of hope, that the darkness is temporary--that "we will recover".

And as a straight guy with a thing for said kind of personality, I'm glad she wasn't a guy. Besides...while I'm all for "dramatic potential", the simple fact was the series was almost over. No need to make things more complicated than they had to be. Better to give emotional closure to the characters--Sisko, Worf, and Bashir in particular, but also Quark. Sisko had to overcome the depression he got after losing Jadzia...and the other three had to deal with their respective relationships/feelings involving Dax. Somehow, I doubt the Ninth Dax being a man would've helped much, on that.
Very well said.

As I stated earlier, I did not like her at first but came to like her later. Probably for the very reasons you have stated. The show handled the change very well.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:55 PM   #99
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Man, this section is really negative.

I liked Ezri Dax. Hell, I even like Vic Fontaine although he was given way too much screentime for the period of the show he popped up in.
I like Ezri too.

And I'd have liked a bit more Vic...
Old September 8 2013, 02:03 AM   #100
VXX
Lieutenant

i just realized every thread here will have some sort of spoilers. I've just finished season 1, watching every episode as an adult (more or less adult) is different than seeing snatches here and there as a kid.
VXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:35 PM   #101
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Fascinating thread. I almost completely disagree with the OP.

The thing with Ezri is two-fold. One, when Terry Farrell opted not to return, they had a choice how to handle her departure. Two, they had a choice when it came to replacing the character, ultimately leaving the show sans science officer.

To my thinking, they could either
  1. Not Kill Jadzia: Promote her away, difficult since she's married to Worf and you would expect them to maintain regular contact, but might've been interesting for Worf
  2. Kill Jadzia, and write Dax out: have Dax's next host show up long enough to have some emotional closure
  3. Kill Jadzia, and bring in a new Dax (as we saw)
In scenario 1 or 2, you have the option of not bringing in another full-time character, but with 3 you pretty much had to. I think the creative team simply chose to take the bull by the horns, and we ended up with a pretty good character, who, I'll admit, was a bit of a distraction at first. However, they made her rather integral with Sisko and Worf's recovery, so that was good.

Personally, I think I'd have preferred the first option. It still also kind of bugs me they never seemed to have a science officer again, but then again they never seemed to need one, either.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 06:20 PM   #102
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Praetor wrote: View Post
... It still also kind of bugs me they never seemed to have a science officer again, but then again they never seemed to need one, either.
Yes. Technically, they should have had a science officer come in to replace Jadzia. But the focus of the show had shifted from one of discovery and wonder to defense and combat. Along with combat comes stress and psychological trauma, something they got to explore a bit more by having a counselor replace the science officer.

I'm sure they considered replacing Jadzia with a science-officer host, continuing the character in the same role as the previous six seasons. But since their story-telling had changed, they probably considered a number of alternate positions for the new Dax to fill. Counselor was probably the most obvious to tell stories about the invisible scars of war.

So we got Garrick's runaway claustrophobia in "Afterimage", an unsuccessful effort to help Nog in "It's Only a Paper Moon", and her incisive remarks about the Klingon Empire in "Tacking Into the Wind".

Actually, it's disappointing that there weren't more signs of her helping out with post-traumatic stress among the crew. All-out war was rarely explored in Star Trek, and Deep Space Nine remains the only effort to do so in a detailed manner. Lacking writers with any first-hand experience in the subject, it's surprising they did as well as they did, but I never felt completely satisfied with that aspect of the show.
Old September 16 2013, 07:46 PM   #103
KaraBear
Captain

I thought Ezri was much better than Jadzia. She was cute, spunky and her story was much more interesting. When trills prepare their whole lives to deal with the symbiont, she was suddenly thrust into having one without any time to prepare. I liked how they handled her being mixed up with the memories of her past selves. Think about things from her point of view. She has memories of being Jadzia, of being married to Worf, of having friends on DS9. But as far as everyone is concerned she's a stranger, a reminder that Jadzia is dead.

I thought she was great
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 01:33 AM   #104
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

Having Dax become a man would have been cool. He could have hung out with Sisko like he did with Curzon. And the look on Worf's face would have been priceless...

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 07:30 AM   #105
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Much as I adore Ezri the Worf discomfort would have almost made that worth it

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote