Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 5 2013, 03:55 PM   #46
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK the enemy of LOST IN SPACE?

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
All you have to do is look at the other 3 Irwin Allen sf series and you can make a good guess. The plots would have become repetitive and silly with weird silver skinned aliens and lots of "duplicates" of the regular cast to save money. It never would have retained the feel of the first episodes and probably not lasted as long as it did.
Land of the Giants actually moved from the initial shock/discovery conflicts between earthlings (or "little people," as they were described) and giants, to the running storyline about the government's various agents pursuing the "little people" as a threat (and an interest in earth technology). So, repetition did not set in as in other Allen series.
Old September 5 2013, 04:20 PM   #47
davejames
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I find that I cannot think of a single standing set from the Enterprise that they built a duplicate of for special situations. Am I missing anything? It seems like there was only one of every set on Star Trek, and you can only do so much with the way a given set is built.
I think the closest would probably be the Galileo interior, which was a bigger version of the interior built into the actual shuttlecraft (although I think all we saw in that one was a couple of chairs).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 04:32 PM   #48
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Well, the first season did kind of settle into the "little people captured and everyone else has to climb and climb and climb for 45 minutes to rescue them" formula that made the latter half of the first season pretty dull. The second season sort of started the same way but then got "Irwin Allen wacky" with time travelers, radiation hallucinations, clones, and secret cities. This actually made the series a lot more fun for me.

It is that wackiness I'm talking about mostly. Without Smith, Lost in Space probably would have been a weird show with eccentric aliens either way, but played straight by the cast, leaving the absurdity to the situation instead of the reactions of the characters. Admiral Nelson vs a spy and Admiral Nelson vs a flame monster: the only difference was the adversary. Basehart played them equally straight, but the latter episode was still weird and considered pretty danged silly.
Old September 5 2013, 05:02 PM   #49
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
I think the closest would probably be the Galileo interior, which was a bigger version of the interior built into the actual shuttlecraft (although I think all we saw in that one was a couple of chairs).
To the best of my knowledge, the shuttle exterior mockup had no interior beyond the bare minimum that needed to be visible through the door. I don't think it counts.

I wondered if there might've been more than one turbolift car, one behind the bridge doors and another on the corridor set, or just standing by itself so a camera could easily see in. But all the TOS set blueprints I can find show only the car on the bridge set and just dotted circles where a turbolift could go on the corridor set, suggesting that they only had the one car and moved it as needed.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 05:09 PM   #50
davejames
Vice Admiral

Never really considered it before, but I think Guy Williams would have made a pretty awesome Enterprise captain.

I always thought he was a really compelling and charming presence on screen, and thought it was a shame we saw less and less of him as the show went on.
Old September 5 2013, 06:10 PM   #51
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

Something about George Clooney's hair and face always makes me think of Guy Williams. Still wish Williams---and the others---had better LIS dialogue. Regarding the unholy trio of Will, Smith and the Robot, I always concluded that there was WAY too much of Will, also too much of Smith despite his humor, and never too much of the Robot who was actually the funniest of them all.

I too got bored with LAND OF THE GIANTS weekly ''two get captured, three rescue one but two of the three get captured'' routine. Loved the show as a kid. I found it repetitive in 1990. Now, maybe because I hadn't seen it for so long, I like it without loving it now. Something about Gary Conway's hair always makes me think of Ted Danson.
Old September 6 2013, 02:03 AM   #52
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Never really considered it before, but I think Guy Williams would have made a pretty awesome Enterprise captain.

I always thought he was a really compelling and charming presence on screen, and thought it was a shame we saw less and less of him as the show went on.

I think Shatner was a little more accomplished as an actor, but Williams would have been very good in his own way. Both men made a conscious effort to move with a cool, catlike, athletic gracefulness. Maybe Williams would have played Kirk overall in way similar to Shatner. Leonard Nimoy might have found the same kind of "space" in which to fulfill Spock's potential.

On the other hand, it's doubtful that the Spock role would have ended up so similar if Mark Goddard had gotten it.

Photoshop by Charles Thaxton.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 02:22 AM   #53
Christopher
Writer

^Good lord, they cut Penny off at the waist and stuck her onto the back of a chair!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 02:45 AM   #54
davejames
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I think Shatner was a little more accomplished as an actor, but Williams would have been very good in his own way. Both men made a conscious effort to move with a cool, catlike, athletic gracefulness. Maybe Williams would have played Kirk overall in way similar to Shatner. Leonard Nimoy might have found the same kind of "space" in which to fulfill Spock's potential.
Yeah I haven't watched LIS or Zorro in awhile so I don't remember what kind of acting range he had, but I can definitely see him having much the same kind of energy and commanding presence as Shatner. And the dynamic between him and Nimoy probably would have been pretty similar as well.

At the very least, it would have been cool to see him as a fellow Starship captain in an episode.
Old September 6 2013, 02:51 AM   #55
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Good lord, they cut Penny off at the waist and stuck her onto the back of a chair!
Half a Penny is better than none.
Old September 6 2013, 04:34 AM   #56
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

I think the most Guy ever had/got to do in Lost In Space was in The Antimatter Man.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 07:45 AM   #57
CrazyMatt
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Thanks, I just about had an accident!
Old September 6 2013, 03:26 PM   #58
jpv2000
Captain

At the very least, it would have been cool to see him as a fellow Starship captain in an episode.
I would have enjoyed that. Guy Williams was one of the very few things I enjoyed about LIS.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:53 PM   #59
NTRPRZ
Lieutenant Commander

I think Guy's frustration showed in a number in third season shows. He seemed particularly grouchy in many of them.

Jeff
Old September 6 2013, 06:15 PM   #60
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

I seem to recall that he and June Lockhart were removed from at least one episode for laughing too hard at the silly script.

In all honesty though, I can't blame him for being grouchy. He was reduced to playing 4th fiddle behind Smith, Will and the Robot until the last 5 minutes when he'd come in to save the day. Being the hero is fun and all, but as an actor he had to want more than that.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote