Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.33%
A 161 21.61%
A- 100 13.42%
B+ 82 11.01%
B 58 7.79%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.37%
C 38 5.10%
C- 25 3.36%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 3 2013, 12:21 PM   #4696
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Saul wrote: View Post
I found it to be a very entertaining movie. Predictable though. I think as a sequel the 2009 film which I was disappointed by they did a good job and they chucked in a lot of stuff I can Trekgeek out over. But that Vengeance ship looks crap and that's mostly because of it's humongous size.
RAMA wrote: View Post
What a silly statement. It was designed to to exactly what is states in the movie, to be overpowered and fight threats like Nero and Klingons. Its over-armored, brutish and less aesthetically pleasing than other UFP ships but it has it's own charm. It's a challenge coming up with something similar but different.
I like how all the praise Saul gave the movie is ignored whereas a subjctive opinion on the look of a spaceship is merciless jumped on and torn to shreds.

Kinda lends credence to this...

And the shitstorm begins where Person 4 has to defend his opinion down to the tiniest detail against those other people.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:48 PM   #4697
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
I found it to be a very entertaining movie. Predictable though. I think as a sequel the 2009 film which I was disappointed by they did a good job and they chucked in a lot of stuff I can Trekgeek out over. But that Vengeance ship looks crap and that's mostly because of it's humongous size.
RAMA wrote: View Post
What a silly statement. It was designed to to exactly what is states in the movie, to be overpowered and fight threats like Nero and Klingons. Its over-armored, brutish and less aesthetically pleasing than other UFP ships but it has it's own charm. It's a challenge coming up with something similar but different.
I like how all the praise Saul gave the movie is ignored whereas a subjctive opinion on the look of a spaceship is merciless jumped on and torn to shreds.

Kinda lends credence to this...

And the shitstorm begins where Person 4 has to defend his opinion down to the tiniest detail against those other people.
Nope.

It might, if Saul was in any way obligated to defend his opinion, or if one more drive-by dose of the Same Old Smug™ from RAMA was in any way equivalent to being "merciless jumped on and torn to shreds" by "those other people".

But he's not, it's not, and you've got naught but more of the Same Old Drive-by Shazam™. You may sit down now, and thank you for your contribution.

(And if, in the future, you have any actual problems to report, please do so by making use of the Notify Moderator button [ ] on the pertinent post. - M')
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."

Last edited by M'Sharak; September 3 2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: to add button reminder
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:58 PM   #4698
CorporalClegg
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm still surprised Into Darkness didn't do better at the box office. The only films that ranked higher on that list were independent, non-action films.
I'm pretty sure it all comes down to the marketing and the release schedule.

Funny thing, I've noticed over the last few days that a couple of websites Amazon and Best Buy I think, have "Khan" right in the item description for the DVD/Bluray I wonder if Paramount has realized its mistake?
Old September 3 2013, 11:35 PM   #4699
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^They do name Khan on the back of the DVD box. No mention of "John Harrison"
Old September 4 2013, 12:23 PM   #4700
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm still surprised Into Darkness didn't do better at the box office. The only films that ranked higher on that list were independent, non-action films.
I'm pretty sure it all comes down to the marketing and the release schedule.
I highly doubt it ALL came down to marketing and release schedule.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 08:06 PM   #4701
judgeroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL. I read a very interesting article in Forbes today that talked about "entitled" fans and how the scream and squall about their favorite series/franchise and take to the internet and raise a huge fuss over every detail and how that has negatively effected shows/films. IMHO, this is a big part of why STID didn't do as well as it could have in the US market. Look, fanbois took to every forum in 2009 to wail about how bad the direction JJ and Co were taking the franchise and they kept it up for 3 years, berating any and all news of STID and then when the movie came out, they stepped it up even more. I would bet that many, many people who were interested in watching the movie were put off by all this negativity from the "entitled" fans. In essence all their ranting negated good word of mouth, which is what pulled the 2009 movie up so much. Another good example of this was Man of Steel.
judgeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 08:14 PM   #4702
M'Sharak

judgeroy wrote: View Post
LOL. I read a very interesting article in Forbes today that talked about "entitled" fans and <snip>
Would that have been this article?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old September 5 2013, 08:50 PM   #4703
Opus
Commodore

From the Forbes article:

The same film fans who often decry the lack of originality in Hollywood are often the same to crave more variations on that franchise they loved in the 1980′s.
This is the most maddening part in regards to the new Trek universe arguments. The people who hate it can't stand the fact that it's not enough like Star Trek, too much like TOSl, not borrowing enough from the original, borrowing too much, not introducing new characters, not using old characters...

And the merry-go-round goes round and round...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 09:19 PM   #4704
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
From the Forbes article:

The same film fans who often decry the lack of originality in Hollywood are often the same to crave more variations on that franchise they loved in the 1980′s.
This is the most maddening part in regards to the new Trek universe arguments. The people who hate it can't stand the fact that it's not enough like Star Trek, too much like TOSl, not borrowing enough from the original, borrowing too much, not introducing new characters, not using old characters...

And the merry-go-round goes round and round...
And nothing that hasn't been pointed out around here a million and one times.
Old September 6 2013, 03:42 AM   #4705
judgeroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks M'Sharak, I'm still learning on this board. Even though I've been reading it for a long time, I've really not posted much till lately. Frankly, this is about the only one I frequent due to the fact that it is the most tame (believe it or not). Shoot even The Neutral Zone is tamer than many of the other forums I visit! LOL>
judgeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:46 AM   #4706
M'Sharak

Thanks M'Sharak, I'm still learning on this board.
That's okay. It's just a time-saver to provide a link to the article; that way, people are able to go right to it from the post in which it's being referenced.
Old September 6 2013, 06:47 AM   #4707
suarezguy
Commodore

IMHO, this is a big part of why STID didn't do as well as it could have in the US market. Look, fanbois took to every forum in 2009 to wail about how bad the direction JJ and Co were taking the franchise and they kept it up for 3 years, berating any and all news of STID and then when the movie came out, they stepped it up even more.
A lot of people praised the first film and anticipated the next, including news about it, during that time period as well.

I would bet that many, many people who were interested in watching the movie were put off by all this negativity from the "entitled" fans. In essence all their ranting negated good word of mouth, which is what pulled the 2009 movie up so much. Another good example of this was Man of Steel.
People interested in the new film could have avoided the predominantly negative threads, let alone forums; if they liked the first film they'd be unlikely to listen to the views of those who openly didn't.

Another good example of this was Man of Steel.
Not having seen it yet, still puzzled by how similar the visuals and posters have been to Superman Returns.
Old September 7 2013, 03:40 AM   #4708
st4ever
Cadet

I gave STID an A-

I enjoyed it more after the second viewing, finally coming to terms with some things and accepting them, once I did that, I realized just how fun of a ride this movie is. One thing I would have preferred is just keeping the character John Harrison as is, and not even bothering with Khan, although, I did appreciate the homage to TWOK, especially the reverse engine room scene with Kirk/Spock.

While I enjoyed Cumberbatch's performance, I equally enjoyed Peter Weller - both as an actor and his character, Admiral Marcus. I sometimes account him as the real villain here.

There were flaws and things I could nitpick all day, especially coming from a long time fan as myself. But all-in-all, I found this to be highly entertaining, with a wonderful and engaging story - and the effects blew me away, though I would have liked more of a dogfight between the Vengeance and Enterprise.
st4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:51 PM   #4709
Makarov
Commander

I have to say that Into Darkness actually makes me like Trek 2009 better. Because now when I watch it I know that all that set-up pays off in a good sequel. Almost like Terminator 2 makes me like the original Terminator more.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 02:29 AM   #4710
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

The UPS guy just dropped it off at the house today and we finally watched it. My 11-yo daughter who doesn't like the 2009 film, but does like TOS called it the "best movie ever," which is hyperbole, but does mean she liked it.

While I loved the intensity, I thought the movie was good but not great. Part of the issue was that while it was clearly a new spin on Khan to fit the new timeline, there were still too many things that I'd seen before, which is more on me than the movie itself.

I'm not particularly fond of the new Starship/Star Travel paradigm. It reminds me too much of Star Wars, both in the open spaces within the ships and the fact that interstellar travel seems to happen in real time on screen. I just don't see the logic of following naval traditions and design philosophies when the average interstellar voyage seems to take less time than most people spend walking to their car in a mall parking lot.

As a movie, it was fun, worth the money I spent, and I'll watch it again.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote