Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 29 2013, 12:37 AM   #16
Lego Thrawn
Lieutenant

Re: Smart/cellphones And Modern Life..

I don't have a smartphone, nor do I want or need one. I have a crappy pay-as-you-go TracFone. I can't afford a monthly plan, and all I want or need is simply something to talk on, period.

That being said, I have seen some people do some remarkably silly things with their cellphones. I have seen women horseback riding while talking on a cellphone, walking their babies in strollers while talking on a cellphone, etc. I'm like WTF... you don't want to just put the damn phone away and enjoy the experience?

I remember once when I was working at a supermarket years ago, a woman had her baby in the top section of a grocery cart, and she was yakking away on her phone like her stupid life mattered that much. Well, while she was yakking away, the cart tipped over the side of the curb, and fell over onto the ground, yes, with the baby still in it. All of a sudden her stupid babbling wasn't so important, and she started freaking out that her baby was hurt. Well guess what, lady? If you'd actually been doing your job, and paying attention to your kid, instead of flapping your useless lips, your kid wouldn't have been hurt.

It also irks me when I see very young children with smartphones. Really? WTF is so big and complicated in their little lives, that they have to have access to a smartphone all day? If I were a parent, I would forbid my child to own a cellphone until they were 15, and even then, it would be a talk-and-text only phone, pay-as-you-go, for emergencies. If they want a smartphone, they'd have to wait until they're 18, and they'll have to buy it and pay for the plan themselves.
Lego Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 01:46 PM   #17
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

That's going a bit too far in the other direction. The problem is people using their smartphones when there are other people around with whom they could talk face to face.. if i'm at a table with someone talking and at one point they pull out their smartphone and start hacking away i take that as extremely rude and disrespectful.

Smartphones are an awesome way to get mobile information if you need to check something.. a friend of mine who uses a normal cellphone was impressed when we went to another city and needed directions so i pulled out my phone and started the navigation app which directed us perfectly.

They are very handy tools but you need to be careful and pay attention to your surroundings.
Old August 30 2013, 12:14 AM   #18
RAMA
Vice Admiral

There are times you shouldn't have the phone on, simple as that, however the protocols for what is rude and not rude has probably changed over the years especially with the functions of the phones and apps.
Old September 1 2013, 03:42 AM   #19
Tribble puncher
Commander

I think smartphone addicts like that they can control what they see...now they never have to feel uncomfortable again...it's the lens through which they view the world and force the world to view them through...
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 08:36 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
There are times you shouldn't have the phone on, simple as that, however the protocols for what is rude and not rude has probably changed over the years especially with the functions of the phones and apps.
Maybe but not by much. If I were out with someone I wouldn't answer my phone unless I absolutly had to. And I would still be polite enough to say excuse me for a minute but I need to take it. If I'm at the cinema I switch it off completely. Sure using an app to naviagte is little different from using a paper map.

One wonders how we managed before mobile phones.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 09:38 AM   #21
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I miss payphones

Back in those days people were courteous about phoning; they'd excuse themselves and go stand in line to use a phone.
Old September 4 2013, 12:00 AM   #22
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
I miss payphones

Back in those days people were courteous about phoning; they'd excuse themselves and go stand in line to use a phone.
I hate to sound so cynical, but I think there are many reasons, including the ease of cell phones, why society now has gotten even less courteous to the point where they don't know what the word even means anymore. It really is sad how while our world has gotten so technological, that same world has lost itself in terms of actual face to face communication and courtesy.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:42 PM   #23
Ethros
Vice Admiral

This is why I don't even get excited when a girl texts me now.
Maybe a few years if a girl I liked texted me I might think "oh cool she's thinking of me" or something. Nowadays people, esp girls, are just on their phones 24/7 shooting off texts, tweets, facebooks, snapchats etc, to everyone and everything so it barely means anything anymore.

.............. oh how I love life....
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 03:13 PM   #24
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Teenagers and their phones.. I so love to see them crash and lose everything.. oh the horror and drama that unfolds after their beloved phone kicked the bucket and they only then realise that they've lost everything.
seeing them try and cope with not having a phone is equally hilarious.. oh the shame, oh the horror, waaaaaaaah!!! I've missed something on facepaste twatter or mybook and they actually have to TALK to someone *gasp!* or read a book!
Old September 5 2013, 03:55 PM   #25
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I quite enjoy being without phone and internet during my vacations. But then I am not exactly a teenager

Old September 5 2013, 04:01 PM   #26
trekkiedane
Admiral

Santaman wrote: View Post
Teenagers and their phones.. I so love to see them crash and lose everything.. oh the horror and drama that unfolds after their beloved phone kicked the bucket and they only then realise that they've lost everything.
seeing them try and cope with not having a phone is equally hilarious.. oh the shame, oh the horror, waaaaaaaah!!! I've missed something on facepaste twatter or mybook and they actually have to TALK to someone *gasp!* or read a book!
It can be hell on the lawn to have too many teenagers with too much time on their hands running around
Old September 5 2013, 04:17 PM   #27
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

^or cause a baby boom
Funny that our generation (the sexually liberal hippie kids) knew far more about contraception and sexually transmittable diseases than modern kids do with all their internet, books, TV, sex-education at school etc. We had nothing but word-of-mouth and an occasional article in a magazine.

It seems to me that the kids nowadays are so used to technical appliances that they have completely forgotten how to be curious and how to take the initiative to find things out for themselves. It's a scary thought that those people who are supposed to care for us when we're old are the same ones that turn right in the middle of a bridge. Nevermind that it was bright daylight and the river below clearly visible, nor the fact that there was no road leading to the right. The navigational computer told them to turn right now. So there!
Argh!!!!
Old September 5 2013, 04:31 PM   #28
trekkiedane
Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
It's a scary thought that those people who are supposed to care for us when we're old are the same ones that turn right in the middle of a bridge. Nevermind that it was bright daylight and the river below clearly visible, nor the fact that there was no road leading to the right. The navigational computer told them to turn right now. So there!
Argh!!!!
Well... if it gets 'em off my lawn
Old September 5 2013, 11:35 PM   #29
Ethros
Vice Admiral

This is quite a funny prank video of people thinking this guy has broken their phones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmN7kzy2mXQ

But check out how insane some of them go? Yeah I might be a bit annoyed but it's not the end of the fucking world. It also annoys me just how shit modern technology is that it probably would break if you did that. I could do that to my walkman and Gameboy as a kid and you know they'd be totally fine
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 02:59 PM   #30
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Funny that our generation (the sexually liberal hippie kids) knew far more about contraception and sexually transmittable diseases than modern kids do with all their internet, books, TV, sex-education at school etc. We had nothing but word-of-mouth and an occasional article in a magazine.
While I can't speak for other countries, this statement would not appear to match reality in the U.S.

CBS News wrote:
Birth rates for teenage mothers hit another historic low last year in the United States, government researchers announced on Friday.

The number of babies born to teenagers was about 305,000, less than half the peak of nearly 645,000 in 1970, according to the new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

[...] Experts attribute the decline to a range of factors, including less sex and more use of contraception.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote