Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 5 2013, 11:18 AM   #241
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: What happened to Jennifer Lien?

There is a rainbow of lines.

Void.

Intuitive.

interactive.

sentient.

You could only argue for the basic sentient rights for AI above a particular level of sophistication, so it's ookey dokey to keep holoslaves if they're idiots below that level of sophistication, so why not only make holograms below that level of sophistication and forbid any of the so called already "real" photonic people the right to procreate? (That's rhetorical for fucks sake. We all know what happens when you tell someone that they are forbidden to have children.)

Why build sentient holograms if they won't work like a slave?

Imagine if they ONLY built and sold new cars that could not go faster that 35 mph.

They could fire half the police force that is only there to catch idiots who speed.

Alternatively imagine that your speedometer was connected to your bank account and deducted fines for speeding immediately as you did them, and really efficient citizens could get discounts for prepaying for all speeding they knew they wanted to do for the next month ahead of time.

The government needs us to speed other wise they lose out on a very profitable revenue stream, and it's not like we're all just going to learn to obey the law one day, because if we did our local governments would file for bankruptcy a month later.

Zimmerman claimed that his LMH was going to be stock piled with scenarios to play out with the crew based on Bashir's life which would keep them from going space crazy... 1st there's a limited number of scenarios in his factory settings that were preloaded, just like any video game, and second if the ship is divided into class strata's where many of the crew do not talk to one another, an LMH or EMH could repeat the same entertaining scenario to different samplings of the crew...

If this was true... Then Zimmerman or someone on his staff wrote Photons be free, the doctors novel, and programmed him to eventually go through the process of thinking that he wrote it, and so would have every other EMH on every other Star Ship, because the hole hololiberation movement was just a diversion to quell space madness and shouldn't have been taken seriously by anyone.

Also that means that the publishers were fake playing out their own part in the script.

However, I doubt anyone told that Admiral that his time was being wasted being asked to adjudicate over this lark.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 11:28 AM   #242
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think it would be hilarious if after all the EMH's advocacy in the end he wins and BOOM laws are made so no holograms ever hover near legal sentience again.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 11:41 AM   #243
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This was addressed on he show, when the Cult leader killed a ship full of fleshies to liberate a pair of holograms as intelligent as an electric toothbriush.

Old September 5 2013, 03:39 PM   #244
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Imagine the sand castles they would build.
"And so castles made of sand
melts into the sea
eventually"

"Castles Made Of Sand"
Jimi Hendrix

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 06:31 PM   #245
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I think it would be hilarious if after all the EMH's advocacy in the end he wins and BOOM laws are made so no holograms ever hover near legal sentience again.
This was part of the plot of a novel i read years ago about a robot who became sentient and went through court to be declare "a person," the legal process takes two centuries. At some point the company that produced him changes the brains of their robots so no other robot could ever become self-aware.

The Positronic Man.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 07:47 AM   #246
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Bicentennial Man?

(Retitled between short story and padded novel version perhaps?)

Sesame Street should be stuffing Asmiov into the minds of all 5 year olds.

Old September 20 2013, 01:39 PM   #247
KaraBear
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
This was part of the plot of a novel i read years ago about a robot who became sentient and went through court to be declare "a person," the legal process takes two centuries. At some point the company that produced him changes the brains of their robots so no other robot could ever become self-aware.

The Positronic Man.

That was Isaac Asimov, Bicentennial Man. I loved that story.
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote