New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 5 2013, 03:38 AM   #76
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Official "Oblivion" Review Thread

Yeah, people will always remember the "Soylent green is people!!!!" that's just one of those cultural things that's built into human DNA now.

I doubt, "No... we are NOT an effective team!" will quite have the same cultural impact.

Again, good well-made movie but I highly doubt it'll ever be regarded as a classic. This week it's on the new-releases shelf a year from now it's in the bargain bin for $3.00 and people going, "Huh... I heard good things about that."

It'll never be the classic that so many other movies are.
Old September 5 2013, 03:56 AM   #77
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah, people will always remember the "Soylent green is people!!!!" that's just one of those cultural things that's built into human DNA now.

I doubt, "No... we are NOT an effective team!" will quite have the same cultural impact.

Again, good well-made movie but I highly doubt it'll ever be regarded as a classic. This week it's on the new-releases shelf a year from now it's in the bargain bin for $3.00 and people going, "Huh... I heard good things about that."

It'll never be the classic that so many other movies are.

All those movies are in the bargain bin, Hell, even Titanic and Lawrence of Arabia are, that's the nature of the industry. People will be saying nice things about Oblivion 20 years from now, I guarantee it.

RAMA
Old September 5 2013, 04:33 AM   #78
davejames
Vice Admiral

I agree it's a better movie than some of the so-called classics out there you refer to, and it deserves more respect than it's gotten (at least as much as Pacific Rim has gotten this year).... but I still wouldn't go as far as calling it a classic.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 04:44 AM   #79
sojourner
Vice Admiral

It's a good movie, not iconic though. Not a classic.
Old September 5 2013, 11:24 AM   #80
stj
Rear Admiral

"Soylent Green is people!" is a punch line. Even Cloud Atlas cited it as a comic touch, even if it also used it for foreshadowing.

The movie is very much a love story with some problems in its female characters. Much worse, the hero doesn't exactly win his lady love. I think in the long run the romance audience will find those too aspects too off-putting. But the SF audience will find the romance too icky. In the end, the movie violates the maxim that you give the audience more of what it liked before.
Old September 5 2013, 02:48 PM   #81
RAMA
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
It's a good movie, not iconic though. Not a classic.

Strictly speaking, I didn't say it was a classic, only that it was better than some movies considered classics from the era it was appearing to emulate. I do think it will be remembered better in hindsight than it is now.

A movie I might compare it to is 2010. While there was some publicity for it as a sequel to a "classic" movie, there wasn't much buzz about it in general. It was a sober, quiet, intelligent movie but not a blockbuster as we understand them today. It hardly made a blip on the radar, but at least in movie circles and scifi circles, it's considered a classic in it's own right these days...despite being in the bargain bin.

RAMA
Old September 5 2013, 08:13 PM   #82
Spider
Dirty Old Man

RAMA wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post

It'll not become a classic but it is still a watchable movie.

Don't bet on it, it's every bit as good if not better than supposedly "classic": movies such as Omega Man, Soylent Green, Rollerball, Logan's Run, etc.
I'm not sure how you can label such mediocre movies as classic. They are neither wonderfully good or horribly bad to deserve the label "classic". Logans Run though was pretty bad, but not classically horribly bad.

As to the movie Oblivion, this is only the 2nd Tom Cruse movie I actually like. The other being A Few Good Men. This is a pretty good movie, nothing special, but certainly way above average and totally worth renting, if not owning. They use a lot of standard scifi movie props and ideas, and some not used in any kind of original way, but somehow the movie still ended up being very entertaining and worth watching more than once.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 03:11 AM   #83
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Spider wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post

It'll not become a classic but it is still a watchable movie.

Don't bet on it, it's every bit as good if not better than supposedly "classic": movies such as Omega Man, Soylent Green, Rollerball, Logan's Run, etc.
I'm not sure how you can label such mediocre movies as classic. They are neither wonderfully good or horribly bad to deserve the label "classic". Logans Run though was pretty bad, but not classically horribly bad.

As to the movie Oblivion, this is only the 2nd Tom Cruse movie I actually like. The other being A Few Good Men. This is a pretty good movie, nothing special, but certainly way above average and totally worth renting, if not owning. They use a lot of standard scifi movie props and ideas, and some not used in any kind of original way, but somehow the movie still ended up being very entertaining and worth watching more than once.
I said they were supposedly considered classics. I don't think they all are...and again Oblivion is considered to pattern itself out of some of those 70s scifi movies, which is why I brought it up in the first place.
Old September 6 2013, 03:19 PM   #84
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Just curious Rama.. why do you think it has the potential to become a classic?

2001 is one because of iconic elements like the scene where our apelike predecessors throw up the bone which then fades into a space station signifiying mankind's technological advance, the whole commuter spaceship on approach to the spacestation with nothing but classical music playing, HAL and his iconic red camera eye and some others.

What scenes or themes of Oblivion would you consider that may make it into a classic?
Old September 6 2013, 03:53 PM   #85
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I guess it depends how inclusive your list of classics is. I'd say that Oblivion compares favorably to say Silent Running, which used to be considered a classic sci-fi movie. Though I think just being a science fiction movie in the 70s was enough to be considered a minor classic at one point.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 03:19 AM   #86
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Wow, I'm amazed that this thing is getting any kind of praise at all. A half-hour out from having managed to get through it, I can honestly say I've rarely in my life seen a movie that seemed like such an utter and complete misfire.

I mean, I may have to upgrade INTO DARKNESS above D+, because this thing -- with the exception of the marvelous projected cloudscapes outside his skyhome -- failed in every way possible, and generated more eyerolls than I could count.

Maybe this is an example of what the ultimate synthesis of videogames and movies will become, because most of it looked like a videogame and was just as empty an experience. Even my wife was calling out plot points and shots before they turned up on screen ... we both knew somebody got shot as soon as the gun went off when the 'twins' were tussling, and 30 seconds before that I said 'must have been your life's ambition' just as my wife punched me for interrupting her saying the same thing.

I'm beginning to think Stuart Baird has competition as the guy who should not be behind the camera making movies. This guy has two movies that deliver just as lamely as all three of Baird's. And I really had some hopes for this going in ...

Thank God I rented PHANTOM first ... the two just about cancel each other out.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 03:36 AM   #87
Gojira
Commodore

I really, really enjoyed this movie! I do like Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman is by far my favorite actor. Sure the story was derivative in spots and there are so many movies that are! I only ask that the execution be done well and this movie did that very well...in my opinion.

I bought the DVD and have watched in a few times.
Old January 31 2014, 04:58 PM   #88
Tom
Rear Admiral

So I finally got around to watching this. I thought it was a good film and very well done. I don't really understand how the landscape got so high to just about cover New York City. If it was an earthquake and city sunk then all the building would have been destroyed as well.
Old January 31 2014, 10:55 PM   #89
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
So I finally got around to watching this. I thought it was a good film and very well done. I don't really understand how the landscape got so high to just about cover New York City. If it was an earthquake and city sunk then all the building would have been destroyed as well.
It was a number of cataclysmic events, as I recall. Not just earth quakes but tidal waves, major climate changes and so forth. In "reality", yeah the ESB shouldn't still have been standing, nor should any structure really have been "buried" but still enterable as caverns (like the NY Public Library) but it's a movie that really wanted these types of visuals and such and I think it actually worked.