New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 5 2013, 01:33 AM   #31
Harvey
Admiral

Re: The book you're waiting for...

What don't you like about their Making of Deep Space Nine book? I read it a few months ago for the first time and was surprised by the level of detail and candidness (especially for an officially licensed book for a series still in production).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:44 AM   #32
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I wanted what we eventually got with the DS9 companion, which, except for the way the binding self destructs in five seconds, is plum-perfect. (Plus the MAKING OF DS9 book kept having weird goofs, like spelling the name of the compositing system wrong (HARRI instead of HARRY.)

It's one of the only 'making of' books I can recall reading just once (VOYAGER's was another.)

For 'candid' I would recommend THE MAKING OF EXORCIST II, which is very honest and insightful, and also makes you wonder if John Boorman had lost his mind for awhile.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:15 AM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

It is an odd "making of" book, since it's mostly about the pilot episode (and, to a lesser extent, the first two seasons) -- when it's generally accepted that the series didn't take off until the third year. But I think it's unusually detailed for a book of it's type (it's probably the only book to reference the work of Joan Pearce Research Associates, which inherited the work of de Forest Research on the franchise during NextGen and did every additional series and movie until 2005).

Of course, The Companion is better.

Having seen The Exorcist II, I'm not sure I could invest the time in a book about it's making. Just a colossal mess.

Old September 5 2013, 03:00 AM   #34
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I'm just always interested in how bad ideas survive and prosper into bad movies (or how good ideas get messed up into bad movies.) In the case of EXORCIST 2 you have a lot of factors sabotaging things. Lee J. Cobb dying was a huge hit on the project, and then the studio rejecting the idea of a young priest in the Jon Voigt/Christopher Walken mode, insisting on Burton.

But then you have the director insisting on eliminating blue jeans and all blue to make the film look weird, and ... well, it gets worse.
Old September 5 2013, 03:10 AM   #35
Harvey
Admiral

All those sound like incidental problems to the script, which is an incomprehensible mess, although I'm sure they didn't help any.

http://www.amazon.com/The-making-Exo.../dp/B0006WNE78

I assume this is the book?

Old September 5 2013, 04:52 AM   #36
davejames
Vice Admiral

Not really TOS-centric, but one book I really liked as a kid was that Worlds of the Federation book. The drawings were obviously crude as hell, but I still loved the idea of it, and think a newer, updated version would be pretty cool.

With better drawings and graphics, of course (and not like those DW Encyclopedias which just slap in a bunch of photos from the show).

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
A lot of TOS concept art and sketches can be found in "The Star Trek Sketchbook".
Wow, that's surprising. I thought I had every TOS book out there, but somehow that one completely slipped me by! D'oh.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 06:46 AM   #37
SpHeRe31459
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Not really TOS-centric, but one book I really liked as a kid was that Worlds of the Federation book. The drawings were obviously crude as hell, but I still loved the idea of it, and think a newer, updated version would be pretty cool.
Ditto, I loved that book as a kid, I still have my very worn out copy in storage somewhere.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 07:41 AM   #38
Mario de Monti
Captain

@ trevenian

Thanks a lot for your extensive reply to my question. It is always very sad to hear, when such great (fan) effort goes not only un-rewarded but outright ignored - and that after you had already made contact with the proper people. With that background I can understand, why you´re not very fond of "The Art of Star Trek" as published. OTOH it may be better that they didn´t use any of your material, since they probably wouldn´t have given proper credit and/or a share of the profits.

I agree with your take on the PHASE II book - I mostly own it for the pictures it contains

Mario

PS: Did you ever get your proposal-book back, or is it lost forever?
Old September 5 2013, 06:17 PM   #39
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Speaking of Making of books, two of the best and are the infamous The Studio, which maps Fox's near implosion in the late 60s at the time of Doctor Doolittle, and The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy Of A Hollywood Fiasco about the making of the wretched The Bonfire of the Vanities. The latter is terrific because you can see, step by step, how each of the tweaks they make to accommodate a bankable actor, etc., add up until into disaster. But both are great because the authors were given free reign and there's no studio spin here. Recommended reading if you're at all interested in film production.

Last edited by Maurice; September 6 2013 at 04:57 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 06:31 PM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It's never been published, but The Making of Star Trek: Insurrection is a pretty good look at what can go wrong when stars have a say-so over how their characters are written.
Old September 5 2013, 09:12 PM   #41
davejames
Vice Admiral

Is that the one from Michael Piller? I do have one Making of Insurrection book, but that's more of a standard Making Of book.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 09:33 PM   #42
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
@ trevenian

Thanks a lot for your extensive reply to my question. It is always very sad to hear, when such great (fan) effort goes not only un-rewarded but outright ignored - and that after you had already made contact with the proper people. With that background I can understand, why you´re not very fond of "The Art of Star Trek" as published. OTOH it may be better that they didn´t use any of your material, since they probably wouldn´t have given proper credit and/or a share of the profits.

I agree with your take on the PHASE II book - I mostly own it for the pictures it contains

Mario

PS: Did you ever get your proposal-book back, or is it lost forever?
I sent color xeroxes ... I still have the original, though it is yellowing in spots! If my wife ever has the inclination, maybe I can put up a webpage as a writing sample (being careful not to infringe on anybody, I guess.)
Old September 5 2013, 09:34 PM   #43
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
All those sound like incidental problems to the script, which is an incomprehensible mess, although I'm sure they didn't help any.

http://www.amazon.com/The-making-Exo.../dp/B0006WNE78

I assume this is the book?
Man, it is going for a lot more than it was even a few years back.
Yeah, that's it.

The original writer had a great notion for exploring evolved human consciousness kind of like the GR TMP new human stuff, but it is hard to see that in the final.
Old September 7 2013, 03:10 AM   #44
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Is that the one from Michael Piller? I do have one Making of Insurrection book, but that's more of a standard Making Of book.
Yes it is.
Old September 7 2013, 03:57 AM   #45
SpHeRe31459
Captain

I really do hope Mrs. Pillar gets to publish that book officially. I'd really like to read it.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote