New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 29 2013, 03:37 AM   #436
Christopher
Writer

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Freedom of Speech has nothing whatsoever to do with the Private Sector. Freedom of Speech is simply "The Government may make no laws to limit your Speech"
That's not "Freedom of Speech", that's the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which, as you say, only guarantees that your freedom of speech won't be limited by the Government...
No, that's the First Amendment. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." The Second Amendment is the rather problematical one about the right to bear arms.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 03:51 AM   #437
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
...The Second Amendment is the rather problematical one about the right to bear arms.
I suspect the bears aren't especially pleased with that Amendment either

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:53 AM   #438
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

No, that's the First Amendment. The Second Amendment is the rather problematical one about the right to bear arms.
Of course. Sorry, brain fart.
Old August 30 2013, 03:55 AM   #439
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Emh wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Gallifrey Base sounds like a hostile, over-moderated site run by people with delusions of grandeur.
Most of it is and I avoid it at all costs with the exception of the audio forum, which I regularly frequent to discuss Big Finish productions. Most posters in that forum are down-to-earth, regularly people.
Does that mean the posters elsewhere are only intermittently people?
"Almost People"? Oh my god, it's full of Gangers!
Old September 3 2013, 08:51 PM   #440
diankra
Commodore

To save anyone else the effort of posting this, a TV EPG for the UK is listing the Dad's Army episode The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker for the next weekend but one, which would be nice, as it's missing.
But don't get too excited - the talk from inside the BBC is that someone just automatically scheduled the next episode (they've just started running season two, which is the incomplete one), not realising that it doesn't exist. In other words, if anyone tells you that this is proof the big 60s TV find is for real, tell them that it isn't, it's just a slip-up.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 09:03 PM   #441
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the GB thread is already wild over it. A heck of a mistake for someone to have made in the circumstances. Mind you, given that half of the posters there are currently convinced based on the results of a few Google searches that they know more about Sierra Leone's film archive than professional episode hunters (don't ask), almost anything can pass as evidence of conspiracy these days.
Old September 3 2013, 09:08 PM   #442
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
To save anyone else the effort of posting this, a TV EPG for the UK is listing the Dad's Army episode The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker for the next weekend but one, which would be nice, as it's missing.
But don't get too excited - the talk from inside the BBC is that someone just automatically scheduled the next episode (they've just started running season two, which is the incomplete one), not realising that it doesn't exist. In other words, if anyone tells you that this is proof the big 60s TV find is for real, tell them that it isn't, it's just a slip-up.
Oh, you're just a BBC Schill, trying to maintain their lie that they didn't find all these episodes, until they finally decide to own up to having them and start releasing them, WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR!!!!

LOL, yea, with all the Conspiracy Theories floating around that is a bit of an inconvenient fluster-cuck up

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 09:29 PM   #443
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

And of course Bleeding Cool runs with it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/...-of-dads-army/.
Old September 4 2013, 12:23 AM   #444
diankra
Commodore

Did a quick check as I couldn't remember which of the Dad's Army mini-episodes were missing, and it turned up something interesting (take this with a pinch of salt as it comes from wikipedia)...
Season two of Dad's Army probably wasn't telerecorded by BBC Enterprises, so (like Dalek Masterplan 7) it was lost when the videotapes were reused. Sergeant Wilson's Little Secret was transmitted from film, so survives as such (like Wheel in Space 6 and various other Who episodes), while the film copies of the two episodes recovered in 2001 were apparently made for viewing by American executives who were considering making a film version (happened in 1971) or an American adaptation (piloted a bit later).
So the other three were probably never telerecorded, and any episode recovery rumour that mentions Dad's Army is almost certainly rubbish.
Old September 4 2013, 01:36 AM   #445
StCoop
Commodore

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
And of course Bleeding Cool runs with it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/...-of-dads-army/.
What a fucking moron.

Anyone with even a handful of braincells would understand that the screening of a recovered episode of Dad's Army would be publicised well in advance by the BBC.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 01:47 AM   #446
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Half of the GB thread is shouting "But ten days is more than enough time to publicize it!" Which might be true, IF they were only trying to drive up the audience for the one showing. But of course they'd be using it to promote the entire just-launched repeat run, if not other archive TV repeats as well.
Old September 5 2013, 12:31 AM   #447
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The latest hilarity is that just after a private Facebook post by someone who has worked on the DVDs claiming that "Marco Polo" hadn't been returned, the guy at GB with multiple quote-unquote sources received what he called "concerning" and "bizarre" news about the return of that very story, which had previously been one he was 100% sure was back. Then he reported that the "problem" was that they were having to sort through the multiple copies of the story that had been found, which "may take a while." And of course, the immediate response is not "How ridiculous can these claims get?" but "It could be true! Look at all the countries that bought the story!"
Old September 5 2013, 01:42 AM   #448
diankra
Commodore

Ok... that's ludicrous. The Marco Polo thing is based in a misreporting of a con panel where some of the cast are going to talk through a screening of a telesnap reconstruction (which is presumably the origin of the different versions bit). But this has somehow become 'a dvd commentary' in some garblings.

Last edited by diankra; September 5 2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old September 5 2013, 01:54 AM   #449
StCoop
Commodore

And the scary thing is that the main driving force behind all this nonsense is this guy...

https://twitter.com/WhoHarmonyPodca

...who among weird other things claims to have heard a tape recording made in Hell and to receive prophetic visions. (I can't speak for the first but his track record on the second ain't so hot. Unlike hell.)
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:11 AM   #450
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The Who Harmony Podcast guy (who seems, according to people who have watched his YouTube videos, to have some mental or developmental issues) and Scot Ferre (who is the big GB rumor spreader and apparently-- I haven't seen links but I wouldn't doubt it-- has the interesting religious views, though on another forum he's denied believing in the hell tape recording) are two different people. Though at this point they seem equally credulous. One of the funniest parts of all this nonsense, in fact, is watching different rumor spreaders dismiss each other as ill-informed or a poor judge of claims, as if they all weren't drinking from the same fountain of unlikely.

Apparently Ferre's "sources" tell him there were going to be press conferences in March and July to announce the finds but they were put off for some reason. What that actually means, of course is "Doctor Who Online posted some gubbins about a non-new series announcement, which never materialized, in March" and "Bleeding Cool hinted at an imminent announcement in June."