Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 5 2013, 01:03 AM   #16
Green Shirt
Commodore

Re: Pike's "TV" in "The Cage"

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Indysolo wrote: View Post
Also note his hat sitting on top of the TV.
A bit more about Pike's utility cover is here:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2030
I remember reading an early treatment of The Cage years ago and IIRC the opening scene was Pike dressing down a crew member after they returned from that mission that got many of the crew injured. Pike was described as wearing that cover (its the reason they made one, but it only ended up as set dressing).
Old September 5 2013, 01:06 AM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

I've read that scene, but I can't for the life of me remember any costume description.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:11 AM   #18
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Ah, the good ol' days when the console took up twice the space of the TV it housed.

I think McCoy repurposed the clicker.
http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...sbrain_167.jpg
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:28 AM   #19
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
A little known thing about Capt Pike was that he collected early 1960s electronics.
Just like Kirk 'collecting' Commodore VIC-20s in TWOK.

Get back your command, Jim. Get it back before you turn into part of this collection. Get it back before you really do wind up working off of solid-state components and microchips ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:33 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The old Federation Reference Series paired Pike's hat with the gold-trimmed Starfleet uniform seen in the Orion fantasy to make a Pike-era dress uniform:

It was great to see the similar hats in the new movies' AU Starfleet.
Old September 5 2013, 03:13 PM   #21
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ That's just fascinating!

I can see that the Starfleet uniform of the guy in "The Cage" (Orion fantasy) would make a good match with the utility cover in Pike's cabin. Maybe the cover came straight from the "Orion fantasy" scene (didn't show it, let's use it somewhere else).

I guess I need to learn more about this Federation Reference Series, looks like passionate research with the right amount of imagination.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I guess I need to learn more about this Federation Reference Series, looks like passionate research with the right amount of imagination.

Bob
The FRS was the work (largely) of Aridas Sofia who used to post here frequently. It is excellent material, showing an enormous amount of respect to the souce.

It is reproduced in part over at the Cygnus X-1 blueprint archive, here: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...ints-main2.php

(scroll down almost to the bottom of the page)
Old September 5 2013, 05:42 PM   #23
Green Shirt
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
I've read that scene, but I can't for the life of me remember any costume description.
Its been 30 or so years since I read it, could it have been in TMOST? I haven't had a copy in years. IIRC the scene had Pike putting on his cap before he addressed the crew on the hangar deck.
Old September 5 2013, 06:10 PM   #24
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Pike's tv has a vintage outside but current electronics to interface with communications?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 07:21 PM   #25
feek61
Captain

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
A bit more about Pike's utility cover is here:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2030
That's just great Greg. I always appreciate the details you know and document. I love it! Thanks for sharing.
Old September 5 2013, 09:16 PM   #26
scotpens
Vice Admiral

HarryM wrote: View Post
To me the TV console looks too finely made to be a TV prop, more like a found piece.
I was referring to the TV screen itself, which would certainly have been fake. As for the curved three-sided cabinet, it was probably made for the show. It's the job of set construction people to create stuff that looks "finely made" on camera, but is actually built as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Of course, I could always be wrong.
Old September 5 2013, 09:30 PM   #27
Melakon
Vice Admiral

A stage prop television set is probably much lighter than a real set, as skilled painters can make even balsa look like fine oak (and there's no guts). If the Pike TV was built, and didn't need to support a person's weight, they might have used the least expensive wood and internal frame construction possible.

It might have been something already in Desilu's warehouse from a film.
Old September 6 2013, 01:30 AM   #28
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Its been 30 or so years since I read it, could it have been in TMOST? I haven't had a copy in years. IIRC the scene had Pike putting on his cap before he addressed the crew on the hangar deck.
It's not in The Making of Star Trek. TMoST reprints the June 29, 1964 Story Outline for "The Cage." As well-formed as this Story Outline was, it didn't include this planned scene. The scene in question appears in the First Draft script for "The Cage," dated September 8, 1964. You can find it in Allan Asherman's The Star Trek Companion. Oddly, it's in 1986's Second (Red), 1989's Third (Black), and 1993's Fourth (White) Editions of the book--on Page 11 in all three cases. But it's not in 1981's First (Blue) Edition of the book.

The germane script comment just before Captain April delivers a well-deserved dressing down to a prejudiced officer is:

"DOLLY SHOT--BEGINNING AT ELEVATOR

"The WHINE of the ship's high-speed turbo-elevator, then the door snaps open and ROBERT APRIL, Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise, steps out into scene and crosses toward the docking hatch. A crewman is standing by with the captain's uniform coat and hat, April donning them as he crosses toward the docking hatch."
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 11:08 AM   #29
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Thanks, Greg. I think that explains a lot.

That scene would have been somewhat in contrast with crew members dressing in shorts and mini-skirts, maybe that's why we didn't get to see it?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 12:39 PM   #30
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Thanks, Greg. I think that explains a lot.

That scene would have been somewhat in contrast with crew members dressing in shorts and mini-skirts, maybe that's why we didn't get to see it?

Bob
I think we didn't get to see it because it wasn't in the script to be shot. It was in the First Draft of the script, not the Final Draft.

My hunch is that the scene was excised, not because of the contrast his costume would have with the extras or other actors, but because, as interesting as a hat is, it didn't really further the "adventure on Talos IV" narrative of this pilot episode very much. (If they wanted to do the scene, but the hat was just too contrast-y, they could have shot it without the hat. I think the decision to introduce the Captain by having him command the ship on his bridge rather than by dressing down a junior officer at the docking hatch probably wasn't because his hat wouldn't jibe with the skirt and shorts of other characters.)
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote