Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 4 2013, 03:58 PM   #31
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Continuity in star trek?

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Like Kirk having relationships all over the place and they're never mentioned again after. It gives the show a slight cartoonish feel to it.
Which relationships are you referring to? The past lovers, such as Ruth, Janet Wallace, and Carol Marcus? Because why would they be mentioned regularly?

Or are you referring to the numerous women Kirk reputedly seduces in TOS? Because all those incidents were duty-related and absolutely not "relationships". As I recall, he didn't do more than kiss most of the them, with Deela of "Wink of an Eye" apparently the one who Kirk was the most intimate with, in the line of duty, of course.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 04:08 PM   #32
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Kirk did take advantage of that one Roman slave girl though.

There's a special place in hell reserved for that.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 04:47 PM   #33
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I don't know if that really qualifies as taking advantage. She seems to be trying to seduce him instead.
Old September 4 2013, 05:04 PM   #34
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
No continuity? I think TOS season one has at least as much continuity as real life. How much continuity are you seeking? Endless references to previous episodes? Lots of multi-episode plot arcs?
Without reading the rest of the comments yet... Yes, it sounds like the OP is looking for story arcs and season arcs. These concepts weren't around in the 1960s during TOS. In fact, I can't remember such story telling methods prior to X-Files and Babylon-5. Well, that is, outside of Soap Operas.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:07 PM   #35
Dream
Admiral

I prefer the approach taken by TNG and Stargate SG-1. Mostly episodic but with a little serialization in the background to push the bigger storylines, along with reoccurring characters.

The TOS approach is too episodic for me.

The LOST approach is great during the first watch, but it is very hard to rewatch since it is so serialized. I feel the same way about DS9.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:16 PM   #36
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I don't think anything approaching serialization in nightly programming existed, until '70s-era mini-series like Rich Man, Poor Man and Roots started showing up. But those were usually limited to telling their stories over about a month's worth of airdates, and were promoted as big events.

I was never a big fan of serialized shows, because you had to watch them every week in order to keep up. You could miss one episode, and be completely in the dark about what's happening over the next few weeks. This is the problem I had with DS9 and ENT. I've not seen any of the shows that became popular in recent years, like Sopranos, Mad Men, Deadwood, or Game of Thrones, as I can't pick up regular television since digital broadcasting became the standard. The only way I would ever see these shows is if I decide to pick up the series collections.
Old September 4 2013, 05:25 PM   #37
Dream
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
I was never a big fan of serialized shows, because you had to watch them every week in order to keep up. You could miss one episode, and be completely in the dark about what's happening over the next few weeks. This is the problem I had with DS9 and ENT. I've not seen any of the shows that became popular in recent years, like Sopranos, Mad Men, Deadwood, or Game of Thrones, as I can't pick up regular television since digital broadcasting became the standard.
I'll make an exception for Game of Thrones since the production and acting in that series is so DAMN good that it is always a pleasure to rewatch. Each season being only ten episodes long and the many beautiful women in it also helps.
Old September 4 2013, 05:31 PM   #38
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Of those I mentioned above, Game of Thrones is the only one I would be halfway interested in seeing. I'm not a big fan of fantasy films or fantasy literature though, because I gravitated to science fiction instead. But I became a fan of Peter Dinklage after seeing The Station Agent.
Old September 4 2013, 05:52 PM   #39
Dream
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Of those I mentioned above, Game of Thrones is the only one I would be halfway interested in seeing. I'm not a big fan of fantasy films or fantasy literature though, because I gravitated to science fiction instead. But I became a fan of Peter Dinklage after seeing The Station Agent.
Just think of each Game of Thrones season as a ten hour movie. It's definitely a great show with very talented cast of actors led by Peter Dinklage.
Old September 4 2013, 05:57 PM   #40
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I'm probably going to wander up to the used video store in the next half hour, and I think they do have some GoT episodes there. I may have to decide whether I can afford a season of it, or build up my Star Trek collection instead. Just shuffled my month's worth of money around, so we'll see.

EDIT: Well, I had to pass. I didn't see any season 1 GoT sets, and the used sets they did have were over $50, which is more than I want to pay for used. Then I remembered I was wanting to save for TOS complete in time for Christmas or my birthday in January. They had a 1st season TOS remastered for $25, but I had to resist. Though I almost weakened when I saw some four-episode sets from Gerry Anderson's Supercar for $8 each.

I might wind up ordering a TOS Phaser that I saw on Amazon instead.

Last edited by Dr. Sevrin; September 4 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Dr. Sevrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:00 PM   #41
MacLeod
Admiral

You can miss one or two episodes and still generally be ok in a more serialised show. If something you have missed is important to this episode it's usually mention in the "Previously on..." bit
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:53 PM   #42
jpv2000
Captain

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
Kirk did take advantage of that one Roman slave girl though.

There's a special place in hell reserved for that.
Like you wouldn't have.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 11:12 PM   #43
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
You can miss one or two episodes and still generally be ok in a more serialised show. If something you have missed is important to this episode it's usually mention in the "Previously on..." bit
Yeah, but the problem I had watching later seasons of DS9 and ENT was I was often missing several weeks, and when I would catch a show, it was a standalone, or I'd missed so much of the setup I didn't know what was happening.
Old September 4 2013, 11:33 PM   #44
MacLeod
Admiral

In some respects it easier today than say 10 or 20 years ago. With DVR's you can just set it to record an entire series with the press of a button. And you can watch them as and when yo get the time. Back in the days of VHS you had to remember to set the VHS to record the show (yes I know some you get to record same time each week, but you still had to remember to put in a tape and set it record mode).
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 11:59 PM   #45
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
In some respects it easier today than say 10 or 20 years ago. With DVR's you can just set it to record an entire series with the press of a button. And you can watch them as and when yo get the time. Back in the days of VHS you had to remember to set the VHS to record the show (yes I know some you get to record same time each week, but you still had to remember to put in a tape and set it record mode).
So what? Those things were NOT hard...

Honestly, the laziness of the kids today....
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote