RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Posts: 5,213,769
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 757
Newest member: meshman63


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 3 2013, 11:24 PM   #31
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

This is a non-issue.

Trekners wanted the shuttle to be named Enterprise. As I remember it, the noise was loud enough that "the powers that be" decided to go ahead and do it.

Whether or not that's in the recorded history ... ? But that's what I remember.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 11:32 PM   #32
feek61
Commander
 
feek61's Avatar
 
Location: The Sunshine State
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

^^^
That's exactly the way I remember it as well.
__________________
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 11:49 PM   #33
Melakon
Rear Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

It was another letter-writing campaign I think, and a few mild demonstrations to get on the news.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:32 AM   #34
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore
 
BoredShipCapt'n's Avatar
 
Location: five hundred parsecs from where we are... I mean, were... I mean...
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

Courtesy of Warped9, here is another photo.

BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:10 AM   #35
CrazyMatt
Commander
 
CrazyMatt's Avatar
 
Location: Paradise
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
And don't look at me. I did not initiate this campaign against the Constitution.
But hundreds of years later, revenge would be achieved... after all, the most famous starships are known as the Constitution Class, not the Enterprise class!
__________________
"You are speaking to a senior officer, Kirk!"
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 11:13 AM   #36
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
But hundreds of years later, revenge would be achieved... after all, the most famous starships are known as the Constitution Class, not the Enterprise class!
Yeah, that's what these 1976 loosers want to make everybody believe.

The Enterprise was the first space shuttle, first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and first interstellar vessel (XCV-330) but in the 23rd Century it suddenly comes in second place (although Matt Jefferies was specific that he was the first bird of its series).

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 01:59 PM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Nine of Four wrote: View Post
I seriously doubt anyone in the navy knows what Star Trek even is.....
You might be surprised. I sell Star Trek items, and fully half my Trek customers are in the military. I also shipped one item to the White House.
My cousin who served in the Navy told me when they refueled from the Enterprise they'd play the Star Trek theme. I was never sure if he was pulling my leg or not but a search in Google did turn up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakaway_music.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 02:14 PM   #38
Mario de Monti
Commander
 
Mario de Monti's Avatar
 
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

That´s quite an interesting bit of (inside) information. Thanks
__________________
"Do you give me attitude, Spock?" - "I´m expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously, Sir. To which are you referring?"
Mario de Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 02:36 PM   #39
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
And don't look at me. I did not initiate this campaign against the Constitution.
But hundreds of years later, revenge would be achieved... after all, the most famous starships are known as the Constitution Class, not the Enterprise class!
I know. I never liked how that came about. At least it is usually known as the Flagship of the Fleet these days.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 07:51 PM   #40
Nebusj
Rear Admiral
 
Nebusj's Avatar
 
View Nebusj's Twitter Profile
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
This is a non-issue.

Trekners wanted the shuttle to be named Enterprise. As I remember it, the noise was loud enough that "the powers that be" decided to go ahead and do it.

Whether or not that's in the recorded history ... ? But that's what I remember.
Yeah, uh, you know the question isn't ``was the first space shuttle named Enterprise after Trek fans organized a letter-writing campaign?''. There's no room for realistic doubt about the answer to that being yes.

The interesting question is, ``was there actually another name planned for that orbiter before the Trek letter-writing campaign, and if so, was it Constitution?'' And there is quite some room for doubt about its answer, for reasons outlined above.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:01 PM   #41
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
This is a non-issue.

Trekners wanted the shuttle to be named Enterprise. As I remember it, the noise was loud enough that "the powers that be" decided to go ahead and do it.

Whether or not that's in the recorded history ... ? But that's what I remember.
Yeah, uh, you know the question isn't ``was the first space shuttle named Enterprise after Trek fans organized a letter-writing campaign?''. There's no room for realistic doubt about the answer to that being yes.

The interesting question is, ``was there actually another name planned for that orbiter before the Trek letter-writing campaign, and if so, was it Constitution?'' And there is quite some room for doubt about its answer, for reasons outlined above.
Uh, yeah. I know what the question was.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:48 PM   #42
Nine of Four
Commander
 
Nine of Four's Avatar
 
Location: On a Borg Cube in the Delta Quadrant
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Nine of Four wrote: View Post
I seriously doubt anyone in the navy knows what Star Trek even is.....
You might be surprised. I sell Star Trek items, and fully half my Trek customers are in the military. I also shipped one item to the White House.
My cousin who served in the Navy told me when they refueled from the Enterprise they'd play the Star Trek theme. I was never sure if he was pulling my leg or not but a search in Google did turn up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakaway_music.
Awesome!!!
__________________
- Nine of Four
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:51 AM   #43
Darkwing
Commodore
 
Location: This dry land thing is too wierd!
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I know they aren't the same type of vessel, but I like reserving the name "Constitution" only for the frigate in Boston.
Whereas I think the frigate needs to be emulated more. I heard a proposal in the mid-90s to name the new CVN design "Constitution-class", with the class ship being USS Ironsides, and the next several named after the other 5 frigates. That, IMO, would've been seriously cool. Unfortunately, they decided to go back to presidents...
__________________
If you don’t drink the kool-aid, you’re a baaad person - Rev Jim Jones
Almond kool-aid, anyone? Or do you prefer pudding?- Darkwing
Darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:54 AM   #44
Darkwing
Commodore
 
Location: This dry land thing is too wierd!
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

Nine of Four wrote: View Post
I seriously doubt anyone in the navy knows what Star Trek even is.....
In the admiralty, maybe not. Most of us do.
__________________
If you don’t drink the kool-aid, you’re a baaad person - Rev Jim Jones
Almond kool-aid, anyone? Or do you prefer pudding?- Darkwing
Darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 04:08 AM   #45
Darkwing
Commodore
 
Location: This dry land thing is too wierd!
Re: How Star Trek fans sunk the Constitution on behalf of the Enterpri

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
My cousin who served in the Navy told me when they refueled from the Enterprise they'd play the Star Trek theme. I was never sure if he was pulling my leg or not but a search in Google did turn up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakaway_music.
Yep, it's traditional to play breakaway music after every underway replenishment. Some ships take votes on what to play, some ships always use a set recording. So your cousin was NOT pulling your leg - except possibly about the use of the Star Trek theme as the breakaway music.

I started on an ammunition ship, which meant doing lots of unreps. We loved hearing the music - it meant the unrep was over. When uploading or downloading all the ammunition of a battlegroup, that might mean 0500 - 2200 (5am to 10pm) for 7 days straight. For a DDG or LPD, it usually meant 1-3 hours of taking on fuel. Strange how the most arduous sea tour is still the one with the most fond memories...l
__________________
If you don’t drink the kool-aid, you’re a baaad person - Rev Jim Jones
Almond kool-aid, anyone? Or do you prefer pudding?- Darkwing
Darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.