RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,746
Posts: 5,215,900
Members: 24,215
Currently online: 855
Newest member: rpoe0728

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 4 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
dub
Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Emergency Sickbay Program?

If we have a holographic doctor, then why don't starships, space stations, etc. reserve a holodeck specifically as a secondary sickbay? Or at least have an "emergency sickbay" program ready on the holodeck, that way if there are multiple injuries you can have how ever many doctors and nurses, beds and instruments you need ready in the holodeck. All you need is a medical supply closet outside the holodeck (or inside if they could make that work).

Well I know why - it would be less dramatic for TV! Haha...but anyway, just a thought.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Along the border of Talarian space
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

You can't really have a full medical staff of holograms (even for emergencies) as they take up a lot of space in the computer core, so I doubt most ships could handle any more than just one.

I suspect that ships responding to medical emergencies, which are equipped with large holodecks, would have a programme they could run to make the space either into a triage facility or evacuation centre--since they won't be used during a crisis anyways.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Susanna Leijten, U.S.S. Silverfin NCC-4470, Border Service Third Cutter Squadron
Manip by: FltCpt. Bossco (STPMA)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 06:13 PM   #3
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I suspect that ships responding to medical emergencies, which are equipped with large holodecks, would have a programme they could run to make the space either into a triage facility or evacuation centre.
I wonder how far you could go with that. I've noticed that the Voyager's EMH has to pick up a medical tricorder to scan patients, his doesn't materialize with one at his waist. So while the holodeck could manifest beds and such, could it fill the emergency facility with all the "gadgets" that a future medical center would need to operate?

For example, the big scanner above the main examination bed in TNG's sick bay, in a holodeck would that still be a scanner, or just another part of the ceiling?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:48 PM   #4
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore
 
TheRoyalFamily's Avatar
 
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
You can't really have a full medical staff of holograms (even for emergencies) as they take up a lot of space in the computer core, so I doubt most ships could handle any more than just one.
Paris was able to create a whole (small) Irish village full of realistic-acting folks, with different personalities, and it was able to have multiple copies running at once. Having a single holodeck with simple nursing or triage treatment holograms, no personalities or anything, like Yar's sparing program, would be child's play (perhaps literally!).
__________________
You perceive wrongly. I feel unimaginable happiness wasting time talking with women. I'm that type of human.
TheRoyalFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Melakon
Rear Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

How large are sickbay facilities on modern warships today, where the standard crew complement is approximately 150?

If we consider starbases the equivalent of 1995 era hospitals, and the Galaxy-class ships as battleships/carriers, after adjusting for crew sizes, what would be on a vessel equivalent to Voyager?
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:48 PM   #6
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
You can't really have a full medical staff of holograms (even for emergencies) as they take up a lot of space in the computer core, so I doubt most ships could handle any more than just one.

I suspect that ships responding to medical emergencies, which are equipped with large holodecks, would have a programme they could run to make the space either into a triage facility or evacuation centre--since they won't be used during a crisis anyways.
Makes sense. I like this idea.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:52 PM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

Crusher converted the holodecks into triage facilities a few times in TNG, though I don't think she ever used holograms.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:33 AM   #8
austen_pierce
Commander
 
austen_pierce's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I suspect that ships responding to medical emergencies, which are equipped with large holodecks, would have a programme they could run to make the space either into a triage facility or evacuation centre.
I wonder how far you could go with that. I've noticed that the Voyager's EMH has to pick up a medical tricorder to scan patients, his doesn't materialize with one at his waist. So while the holodeck could manifest beds and such, could it fill the emergency facility with all the "gadgets" that a future medical center would need to operate?

For example, the big scanner above the main examination bed in TNG's sick bay, in a holodeck would that still be a scanner, or just another part of the ceiling?

I think this is a big problem. My understanding of bolo technology is that it is force fields and optics, not replication. That's why the doctor needs to pick up equipment after he instantiates. Sure he has medical knowledge, that's programmed, but he isn't capable of running diagnostics. To answer your question, the equipment on the wall would just be wall. IMO.

Did Trek ever establish in canon whether complex equipment could even be replicated. In TNG, I thought the answer was no. So while you could holo- furnish, you still have a resource constraint with equipment.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 03:24 AM   #9
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

In "The Nth Degree," Barclay goes into the holodeck and instructs the computer to create an advanced cybernetic interface with the ship.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 03:35 AM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Did Trek ever establish in canon whether complex equipment could even be replicated. In TNG, I thought the answer was no.
It's a interesting question. There are things a replicator can't make at all (some pharmaceuticals), and other things that can be produced, but it takes the replicator time to do so. I can't remember a replicator making say a medical tricorder, I think it could, but how long to make dozens?

We're not talking about a cup of tea.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 03:48 AM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Did Trek ever establish in canon whether complex equipment could even be replicated. In TNG, I thought the answer was no.
It's a interesting question. There are things a replicator can't make at all (some pharmaceuticals), and other things that can be produced, but it takes the replicator time to do so. I can't remember a replicator making say a medical tricorder, I think it could, but how long to make dozens?

We're not talking about a cup of tea.

In a Matter of Perspective they created a holographic version of the science lab that blew up at the beginning. It was authentic enough to interact with the kreiger wave generator on the planet.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 04:17 AM   #12
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

^ Yes, but they established in the dialogue that the equipment in the science lab was really nothing more than a complex series of mirrors that reflected the waves in a certain manner. Not exactly advanced scientific equipment like a tricorder.

TNG and later series did establish that holodecks use a combination of both holographic images and replicators. But the level of complexity in devices those replicators can produce is up for debate. We know, for example, that a person can eat or drink something on the holodeck because it's replicated, not a hologram. But can it make a phaser? A tricorder? Heck, a warp core? That we don't know.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

You can't really have a full medical staff of holograms (even for emergencies) as they take up a lot of space in the computer core
That was only problem with the Voyager holodoctor, who was allowed to grow unhindered. Holographic nurses could be extremely simple programs compared with holographic entertainment characters, yet very useful in an emergency.

As for replicating medical instrumentation quickly, a Cardassian food replicator quickly produced a working phaser that immediately started firing in "Civil Defense". This shouldn't be a bottleneck as such, then. It's more a question of how much you want to rely on equipment and facilities generated on demand in a combat situation where your generation abilities may be compromised. And it shouldn't be difficult to simply keep equipment in stock; the holodeck-simulated sickbay crashing in the middle of a situation might not be all that fatal a failure, either, provided the patients are at least held on physical beds or stretchers rather than flickering forcefields.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Along the border of Talarian space
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

In the episode where Riker is accused of murdering a scientist, the holographic recreation of his lab and equipment damaged the E-D. I think that advanced tech could be created holographically if it was programmed into the computer to recreate it from the inside out and not just as a basic facsimile.

However I would also suspect that many officers and crewmen would have emergency medical training (like how Worf was able to deliver Molly), at least enough to patch up wounds and keep someone from bleeding to death before a doctor or nurse could get to them.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Susanna Leijten, U.S.S. Silverfin NCC-4470, Border Service Third Cutter Squadron
Manip by: FltCpt. Bossco (STPMA)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 06:22 PM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Emergency Sickbay Program?

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I think that advanced tech could be created holographically if it was programmed into the computer to recreate it from the inside out and not just as a basic facsimile.
I could see advanced tech being replicated or beamed off a shelf somewhere and inserted by transporter into a holodeck creation. But I would say no to the same tech being solely composed of textured forcefields and such.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.