Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Which class of ship is more powerful?
Galaxy class 26 54.17%
D'deridex class 22 45.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22 2013, 02:14 AM   #61
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Re: D'deridex class Warbird vs Galaxy class

In Tin Man the Enterprise got crippled by the Tin Man itself, and the Warbird was destroyed for being too close when it's defense mechanism was activated.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:08 PM   #62
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yes, but it didn't help that they lost 70% of their shields after just a few seconds.
Old August 22 2013, 06:59 PM   #63
Timo
Admiral

Shield loss is indeed usually more gradual, but "two shots to zero" isn't all that different from the "five shots to zero" of the tiny NOMAD or the "three shots to zero" of the Borg. And how many shots did Chang really get off before the E-A lost shields over Khitomer? Despite having to space out his shots for stealth.

Our heroes don't typically appear flabbergasted when just a handful of attack runs reduce their defenses to nil. "Prolonged slugfests" is the impression we get from watching TNG, yes - but we often forget the E-D tended to fight grossly inferior opponents (which also explains why Picard wasn't particularly worried about firing back or things of that nature).

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 02:57 AM   #64
kgartm1185
Lieutenant

Timo wrote: View Post
Shield loss is indeed usually more gradual, but "two shots to zero" isn't all that different from the "five shots to zero" of the tiny NOMAD or the "three shots to zero" of the Borg. And how many shots did Chang really get off before the E-A lost shields over Khitomer? Despite having to space out his shots for stealth.

Our heroes don't typically appear flabbergasted when just a handful of attack runs reduce their defenses to nil. "Prolonged slugfests" is the impression we get from watching TNG, yes - but we often forget the E-D tended to fight grossly inferior opponents (which also explains why Picard wasn't particularly worried about firing back or things of that nature).

Timo Saloniemi
I never got the impression the Enterprise-A had shields. I mean, what was the point of shields, to protect the hull. Well the Enterprise-A's "shields" didn't do a good job at that.
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it is scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth. It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard, 2368
kgartm1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 03:04 AM   #65
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah given each shot did physically damage the hull, despite shields being up, 23rd century shields left a lot to be desired.
Old August 23 2013, 11:03 PM   #66
Timo
Admiral

Hmm... We count the slight non-penetrating charring as a sign of the hull being "not protected"?

I'd rather argue that if that is what you get from unprotected hits, photon torpedoes shouldn't be classified as weapons!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:22 AM   #67
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Just found this again on my Flickr page. Regardless of the variable size shown on screen, this illustrates the original intent in terms of relative size of the two ships. The Warbird is HUGE and easily has more volume than several Galaxy class ships.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 04:01 PM   #68
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I've oft-wanted to make an MSD for the D'Deridex based on that diagram (which was done by Mr. Probert IIRC.)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:02 PM   #69
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Each time I see this size comparison of Andrew Probert I can't help but wonder: Was the Romulan Warbird this big in size to actually accomodate personnel and cargo or was it basically full of "hot air" to make an intimidating impression on any adversary of the Romulan Star Empire?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 06:13 PM   #70
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I'd wager a little of both. Surely a smaller ship could have done the same job, but not made such a powerful statement.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 04:21 PM   #71
Nine of Four
Commander

Perhaps the D'deridex was made so large due to the fact the Bird-of-prey classes from TOS and ENT don't exaclty have the most intimidating design......
Old September 4 2013, 12:28 PM   #72
austen_pierce
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Each time I see this size comparison of Andrew Probert I can't help but wonder: Was the Romulan Warbird this big in size to actually accomodate personnel and cargo or was it basically full of "hot air" to make an intimidating impression on any adversary of the Romulan Star Empire?

Bob
Some of my favorite TNG eps involve the standoffs between D'deridex and E-D, whether or not any shots were fired. The intimidation factor was very real, and IMO the driving force behind the in-universe design.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 03:15 PM   #73
jpv2000
Captain

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

Bob
Some of my favorite TNG eps involve the standoffs between D'deridex and E-D, whether or not any shots were fired. The intimidation factor was very real, and IMO the driving force behind the in-universe design.
Probably so. I remember the first time I saw that debut episode for the D'deridex, it was indeed an intimidating ship.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 02:34 PM   #74
Admiral8Q
Cadet

kgartm1185 wrote: View Post
Which flagship is more powerful, larger, and faster?
More powerful? I'd say that they are even, more dependent on the officers and crew for that. Or the situation.

Larger? Definately the D'deridex.

Faster? Galaxy is far faster.

Yes, I've read the entire thread, alot of good stuff here. Thought I'd anser your original question kgartm.

Last edited by Admiral8Q; April 6 2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Clarification
Admiral8Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2014, 05:18 AM   #75
Admiral8Q
Cadet

Beware the 'scary' D'deridex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUHJyjlGew
Admiral8Q is offline   Reply With Quote