Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 1 2013, 11:40 PM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Continuity in star trek?

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
If you're looking to jump into the franchise with TOS, I'd recommend starting with the movies as I said earlier. It'll give you a chance to get to know the crew without the random episodic format as movies 2-6 are pretty much one continuous arc, each picking up after the last. Hope that helps.
Agreed. TOS movies 2-6 also contain a few of the best Trek movies ever, in my humble opinion. But, I would recommend watching the TOS episodes first. There are some real gems in there.
Adellone mentioned he tried a few times and couldn't get into it, so I figured the movies would be a good way for him to "get to know the crew" as it were so the episodic format is a bit more bearable in hindsight. Growing up in the 80's I had seen all the TOS movies before I had seen all the TOS episodes given their unavailability then. Heck I was well into TNG before I finally had caught most of TOS in old reruns and marathons.
Old September 1 2013, 11:50 PM   #17
Pavonis
Commodore

Not everyone is going to share your opinion.
Of course they're not. Not everyone is as cultured, intelligent, and tasteful as I am.

There's hundreds of hours of material. Not everyone is going to like the same parts and sometimes it's helpful to guide people towards the parts they might enjoy more. Even if they're not the same as yours. Really it's attitudes like yours that will run off new people. I'd hope that's not your goal.
Yes, there's hundreds of hours of material, so we absolutely should direct new fans towards material that might suit their interests and tastes. Unfortunately, in this case, continuity is not one of the strengths that Trek is known for, and what little there is requires watching many, many episodes that aren't obviously related. I would not recommend a new fan jump into DS9 at season 6 when the continuity-rich episodes rely strongly not only on each other, but all the material that was built up in the early seasons. DS9 absolutely should not be watched without the background, either. But if the first four seasons are found unbearable by a new fan, why should they sit through them for the "reward" of the later seasons?

Again, I can't see how someone who doesn't like TOS season 1 (call it trigonometry) will enjoy anything later (call it vector calculus). Maybe they're just not into it. That's OK, but why encourage them to follow something so painful for the handful of episodes that they may like?

The OP wants something continuity-rich. TOS, TNG, and VOY aren't it. DS9 has it in spades at the end of the show. ENT probably has it - I wouldn't know, since I tuned out before it ended. Maybe the OP would prefer Battlestar Galactica, the reimagined series? I'm not trying to chase them off, but if Trek isn't what they're seeking, where's the harm in facing that fact?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:18 AM   #18
adellone92
Cadet

haha, guys i enjoy the TOS, but i lost interest because for some reason i assumed there would be continuity, iam slightly disappointed, but nothing too bad! ill continue with TOS then move to the movies!
adellone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:44 AM   #19
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Pavonis wrote: View Post
The OP wants something continuity-rich. TOS, TNG, and VOY aren't it. DS9 has it in spades at the end of the show. ENT probably has it - I wouldn't know, since I tuned out before it ended. Maybe the OP would prefer Battlestar Galactica, the reimagined series? I'm not trying to chase them off, but if Trek isn't what they're seeking, where's the harm in facing that fact?
Don't get me wrong I loved nuBSG but I found I had to concentrate to not miss something that was vital in the next episode. Sometimes I only knew that I missed something because I saw it in the next episode recap of the previous episode if that makes sense. However earlier seasons you could see episodes out of order and not be too lost.

I don't think Star Trek has a continuing storyline like nuBSG. Mostly it just has individual adventures mostly excepting DS9. I'm not sure you see characters 'grow' and develop that much I just think you get to know them better the more episodes you see. I suppose Geordi and Data and Bashir and OBrien develop friendships as the seasons go by.

But VOY really has an overall continous storyline theme. They're heading home and meet people/aliens on the way. They deal with the Kazon and the Borg and there is some sort of continuity there. The EMH develops, Janeway relaxes. Of course the Chakotay/7 thing popped out of thin air.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:29 AM   #20
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Sometimes BSG threw a plot point in the "previously" segment that hadn't been in a prior episode...!

adellone92 wrote: View Post
haha, guys i enjoy the TOS, but i lost interest because for some reason i assumed there would be continuity, iam slightly disappointed, but nothing too bad! ill continue with TOS then move to the movies!
Sounds like you're seeing it through, which is the best way...but should you decide you don't want to, but want to get the gist of TOS, I'm sure you'd get no shortage of Top 10 lists upon asking....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 04:40 AM   #21
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^Sometimes BSG threw a plot point in the "previously" segment that hadn't been in a prior episode...!
Is that true?

I thought it was me. Bastards!

I started paying attention to everything they said so I wouldn't miss anything, my kids weren't allowed to talk to me, the dinner burnt...
Old September 2 2013, 06:35 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I guess that's one way for the writer of part two to get out of the jam created in part one. I'm not sure I'd call that creative though.
Old September 2 2013, 06:50 AM   #23
Melakon
Rear Admiral

I guess that's one way for the writer of part two to get out of the jam created in part one. I'm not sure I'd call that creative though.
That's sort of like the old Republic serials where Chapter 7 ends and you see the guy in the car go over a cliff, but during the Chapter 8 recap, he jumps out just in time.
Old September 2 2013, 07:11 AM   #24
Lance
Fleet Captain

There are shades on continuity in TOS. For example: the Corbomite bluff being reprised, the Organian treaty gets wheeled out a few times in Klingon episodes, a particularly cool one where Captain Pike from the original pilot gets namechecked in "Mirror, Mirror". It isn't heavy with the continuity, but it does have continuity.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:20 PM   #25
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Is that true?
It was usually minor setup stuff. Don't ask me to quote chapter and verse now, but I recall it being discussed in the episode review threads back in the day. One example I do remember is in that in the Season 2 episode with a fellow named Gardner (whom we'd never met before) in command of the Pegasus, they'd set up Adama having given him command by throwing a line of dialogue in the previouslies.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:47 PM   #26
jpv2000
Captain

Good call.

I hope you end up enjoying the majority of them.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:24 AM   #27
Nine of Four
Commander

Hi, ive recently took a liking to star trek, tried to watch TOS but lost interest due to no continuity atleast not in the first season! so, i was wondering if there is any series with continuity between the episodes? Thanks.
DS9; Dominion War.
Old September 3 2013, 09:11 AM   #28
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Is that true?
It was usually minor setup stuff. Don't ask me to quote chapter and verse now, but I recall it being discussed in the episode review threads back in the day. One example I do remember is in that in the Season 2 episode with a fellow named Gardner (whom we'd never met before) in command of the Pegasus, they'd set up Adama having given him command by throwing a line of dialogue in the previouslies.
Sorry not doubting you. Just amazed that they did that sort of thing. It drove me mad at the time.
Old September 4 2013, 12:45 PM   #29
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I think TOS has the best science fiction of all the shows.

But the poor feeling of continuity is hard to ignore. It makes the show looks like it has short term memory syndrome.

Like Kirk having relationships all over the place and they're never mentioned again after. It gives the show a slight cartoonish feel to it.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a sense of continuity, but the strict 60's 'adventure of the week' style, makes it feel like it does.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 02:58 PM   #30
jpv2000
Captain

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
I think TOS has the best science fiction of all the shows.
Same here.

Like Kirk having relationships all over the place and they're never mentioned again after. It gives the show a slight cartoonish feel to it.
That was just Kirk being Kirk.

I knew a lot of guys like that, as I used to be like that in my younger days. Well into my late 30s.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote