Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 4 2013, 02:14 AM   #31
austen_pierce
Commander

Re: Why would Nimoy not appear in Generations, but was in Nu-Trek?

Gojira wrote: View Post
Maybe as Nimoy has aged and in the twilight of his years he is now more flexible than he was when Generations was filmed?
I remember when I could count on hearing Nimoy narrating the nature program of the week on PBS. He had many projects on his plate at the time of Generations. Yes, his availability is better, albeit he is in poorer health.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:51 AM   #32
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Maybe Nimoy perferred the role of nuSpock in STID as passing on important information, offering guidance to a nuSpock promoted before his time.
His role in GEN was essentially to stand around and look stupid not even to repeat the role of the awesome Spock Kirk duo (even somewhat lessened by being in their golden years).

Perhaps it was not the screen time Nimoy was worrying about but the actual role.

And if Nimoy had had an extended role in STID, Abrams secret surprise would have been spoiled and we probably all would have known that PrimeSpock was going to be in STID before the opening day.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 02:09 PM   #33
Christopher
Writer

I think it's simply that Nimoy got along so well with Abrams, Quinto, etc. on making the previous film. I gather he and Quinto are still good friends. So he was willing to do the cameo as a favor to his friends. If not for that relationship, he probably would've declined.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:29 PM   #34
jpv2000
Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
At the time they were casting GEN, Nimoy was not ~80 years old. Maybe he saw ST09 as the last chance he would ever have to wear the ears.

Years can make a huge difference in your perspective, as evidenced by Nimoy's own change of heart about playing the character.

(Tweens, teens, and 20-somethings, in general, despise hearing about how age changes one's views, but I always like to throw it in the mix just to piss them off. )
True. I now understand two sayings that I heard a lot. "If I knew then what I know now" and "Youth is wasted on the young"
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 05:46 PM   #35
Gojira
Commodore

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Maybe as Nimoy has aged and in the twilight of his years he is now more flexible than he was when Generations was filmed?
I remember when I could count on hearing Nimoy narrating the nature program of the week on PBS. He had many projects on his plate at the time of Generations. Yes, his availability is better, albeit he is in poorer health.
Yes, I do realise he had many projects on his plate at the time of Generations. What I was trying to say is that now that he is older maybe his attitude toward only taking a role that is essential to the plot has mellowed.
Old September 4 2013, 06:04 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

Yes, I do realise he had many projects on his plate at the time of Generations. What I was trying to say is that now that he is older maybe his attitude toward only taking a role that is essential to the plot has mellowed.
Or maybe it's no longer a consideration at all anymore. After all, Nimoy is technically retired. In the past dozen years, he hasn't done any on-camera acting except in Bad Robot productions, and in that car commercial he did with Quinto. So he's not making choices based on what suits his career, because he's no longer pursuing a career. He's retired, and that means he does things because he thinks they'll be fun, because he gets to spend time with people he likes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 06:10 PM   #37
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

^ Exactly. There's no reason he has to be consistent about this. Generations was filmed twenty years ago. He's at a different place in his life now and has different priorities.

Or, to put it another way, he didn't feel like doing a glorified cameo twenty years ago, but feels differently nowadays. It happens.

Human beings are not always as logical as Vulcans.
Old September 4 2013, 06:35 PM   #38
Gojira
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Or maybe it's no longer a consideration at all anymore. After all, Nimoy is technically retired. In the past dozen years, he hasn't done any on-camera acting except in Bad Robot productions, and in that car commercial he did with Quinto. So he's not making choices based on what suits his career, because he's no longer pursuing a career. He's retired, and that means he does things because he thinks they'll be fun, because he gets to spend time with people he likes.
I completely agree.
Old September 4 2013, 10:16 PM   #39
Leto_II
Lieutenant Commander

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
And if Nimoy had had an extended role in STID, Abrams secret surprise would have been spoiled and we probably all would have known that PrimeSpock was going to be in STID before the opening day.
To be sure, the day it was revealed that Nimoy had "visited" the STID set, most people were at least 75% certain he'd likely be in the movie itself...and then a couple of days later, he appears live on-camera at a NASA launch, and coyly teases the interviewers with hints that, yup, he'd basically shot some scene(s) for the new film.
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote