TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 4 2013, 05:36 AM   #31
Warped9
Admiral

Re: STAR TREK the enemy of LOST IN SPACE?

^^ That is a seriously WTF! Image.
Old September 4 2013, 08:12 AM   #32
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

I've never heard of such a contract clause. Care to share a source?
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:41 AM   #33
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
[

Harris was the biggest thing LIS had that the other Irwin Allen shows did not. He literally stole (and I think saved) the show.
Didn't he also steal the show as Lucifer in Original BSG. OK perhaps not steal the show but I still remember him.

I thought Dr Smith much less redeemable than Gaius Baltar in nuBSG but perhaps he is a modern equivalent.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 11:43 AM   #34
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
Fan knowledge of this general topic probably began with a review of ST:TMP by Harlan Ellison in Starlog magazine (April 1980), in which he excoriated Shatner for counting lines in the "City" script. Ellison might also talk about it in a youtube video somewhere; I can't recall for sure. But he obviously didn't understand the legitimate problem faced by TV's lead actors in the 1960s, and didn't bother to find out.

I think I read "official" confirmation that Shatner had one of these role-protecting contract clauses in Inside Star Trek, of which I read a borrowed copy so I can't find the reference. But it's a pretty well-known thing now.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 11:55 AM   #35
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Here's a little insight on Guy Williams' professional disaster at the hands of Jonathan Harris, which Shatner did not want to risk experiencing with Leonard Nimoy:

As I've said, I think Harris actually saved Lost in Space, but Guy didn't have to like it.

Last edited by ZapBrannigan; September 4 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old September 4 2013, 06:24 PM   #36
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

I remember a couple of years back imaging classic TREK given the profane, no-good-behavior-rewarded treatment you tend to see on THE SOPRANOS, OZ and GAME OF THRONES. Now that HBO is doing first-class fantasy now, how do you think they would reimagine LOST IN SPACE?

Considering the source material, the silliness potential's still great, but don't forget how serious the show originally was.
Old September 4 2013, 06:41 PM   #37
Warped9
Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
I remember a couple of years back imaging classic TREK given the profane, no-good-behavior-rewarded treatment you tend to see on THE SOPRANOS, OZ and GAME OF THRONES. Now that HBO is doing first-class fantasy now, how do you think they would reimagine LOST IN SPACE?

Considering the source material, the silliness potential's still great, but don't forget how serious the show originally was.
Yeah, but you don't have to go all dirty on it. Sure there is swearing in real life but often not as over-the-top as it's done on TV.

What was that western themed series some years back that had "fuck" like every third or fourth word? I got bored real fast.
Old September 4 2013, 07:03 PM   #38
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

DEADWOOD, probably. If it's HBO, it's going to take advantage of its freedom. More often than not it pays of in memorable ways....if we leave out Robert Iler's Tony Junior anyway.
Old September 4 2013, 07:41 PM   #39
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
Fan knowledge of this general topic probably began with a review of ST:TMP by Harlan Ellison in Starlog magazine (April 1980), in which he excoriated Shatner for counting lines in the "City" script. Ellison might also talk about it in a youtube video somewhere; I can't recall for sure. But he obviously didn't understand the legitimate problem faced by TV's lead actors in the 1960s, and didn't bother to find out.

I think I read "official" confirmation that Shatner had one of these role-protecting contract clauses in Inside Star Trek, of which I read a borrowed copy so I can't find the reference. But it's a pretty well-known thing now.
That hardly sounds like it's "common" though. That's just a Star Trek specific example. I don't recall reading any such thing in Inside Star Trek, but my copy is out on loan so I can't check right now.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 08:12 PM   #40
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

CommishSleer wrote: View Post

Harris was the biggest thing LIS had that the other Irwin Allen shows did not. He literally stole (and I think saved) the show.
Didn't he also steal the show as Lucifer in Original BSG. OK perhaps not steal the show but I still remember him.
He was great in BSG! Definitely stole all the scenes with Baltar, subtly getting his goat. I always thought Lucifer would be fun to hang out with.

Love the ad!!
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 11:59 PM   #41
Redfern
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Sure there is swearing in real life but often not as over-the-top as it's done on TV.

What was that western themed series some years back that had "f*ck" like every third or fourth word? I got bored real fast.
You have obviously never met a co-worker of mine named Rob. This disturbed fellow feels compelled to drop an "F bomb" at least every other sentence. It would be one thing if I worked on a shipyard loading dock for some other equivalent "blue collar" job. But we are both system engineers in a 7 story tall office building with a dress code mandating button down shirts and ties.

One time I got so frustrated with him that I asked, "So, how's your Tourette syndrome today?"

An exceptionally vile individual.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 12:25 AM   #42
Warped9
Admiral

Well, I did know a fellow from Columbia who covered his lapses in English vocabulary with an *F* about every sentence. He was actually a pretty funny guy, but it could get old.
Old September 5 2013, 12:40 AM   #43
Christopher
Writer

It varies depending on region, culture, and generations. My relatives rarely swear, but my author colleagues from New York use the F-word casually and routinely. And I once overheard a conversation by two younger men on a bus in which a certain four-syllable epithet was used in pretty much every sentence, essentially as a pronoun, and was so casual and stripped of meaning that it had become elided to "m'fuh" or "m'fug." And yet when one of the speakers wanted to convey genuine offense, he said, "What the hell?!"

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 12:56 AM   #44
MANT!
Rear Admiral

I was in the USAF (the most "civilized" of the services) and I remember the F-word being used several times in a sentence by just about everyone EXCEPT the officers...
It took me a while to stop using it in casual conversation..example (while on my first leave back home).."Mom! these are the best f*cking pancakes ever!"or "Thanks Mom! you did my f*cking laundry!"... I was a bad person.. Now I only use it to deliver proper emphasis in a workplace setting..
Old September 5 2013, 01:42 PM   #45
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Regarding this revelation that a duplicate Jupiter 2 cockpit set was built for special viewport situations:

http://jupiter2project.com/mcc/index.html

And of course we know that they also built a duplicate set of the J2 ship exterior exclusively for space walk scenes, rather than re-use the planet-side ship exterior set:

I find that I cannot think of a single standing set from the Enterprise that they built a duplicate of for special situations. Am I missing anything? It seems like there was only one of every set on Star Trek, and you can only do so much with the way a given set is built.

I suspect this is because Fox was so much bigger and better capitalized than Desilu, and Fox was thus able to do things bigger. This gave them very dynamic, versatile filming capabilities, like the impressive starfield and weightless rigging John Robinson enjoyed.