RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,618
Posts: 5,426,256
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 394
Newest member: 8 of 9

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 4 2013, 12:34 AM   #16
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Getting it in the house

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
If you can see the main floor from the basement (ie: no ceiling in the basement), look for a section that might have been cut & removed.
I don't think I've ever even seen a basement that didn't have a ceiling.
OK, "no suspended or other finished ceiling"....smart-arse
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:40 AM   #17
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Getting it in the house

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
If you can see the main floor from the basement (ie: no ceiling in the basement), look for a section that might have been cut & removed.
I don't think I've ever even seen a basement that didn't have a ceiling.
OK, "no suspended or other finished ceiling"....smart-arse
Even then, I've never seen a basement that wasn't completely enclosed...because the rest of house sits on top of it.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:56 AM   #18
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: Getting it in the house

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
If you can see the main floor from the basement (ie: no ceiling in the basement), look for a section that might have been cut & removed.
I don't think I've ever even seen a basement that didn't have a ceiling.
I once saw a photograph of a basement with no ceiling. It was in Oklahoma after a tornado.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:57 AM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Getting it in the house

Captrek wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
If you can see the main floor from the basement (ie: no ceiling in the basement), look for a section that might have been cut & removed.
I don't think I've ever even seen a basement that didn't have a ceiling.
I once saw a photograph of a basement with no ceiling. It was in Oklahoma after a tornado.
I built homes with Habitat for Humanity in Oklahoma once, and was amazed that none of them even had basements! I couldn't wrap my head around that. Where are you supposed to take cover?!
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 01:27 AM   #20
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Getting it in the house

ShamelessMcBundy wrote: View Post
Oh God, I thought you were talking about getting "it" in the house.
Me too!!

That would have been more interesting. OR rather, it would have been interesting
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 07:34 PM   #21
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: Getting it in the house

teacake wrote: View Post
ShamelessMcBundy wrote: View Post
Oh God, I thought you were talking about getting "it" in the house.
Me too!!

That would have been more interesting. OR rather, it would have been interesting

The entire OP is a bit iffy if you ask me...
I bought a new dryer today and struggled to get it in the house. We had to take it out of the box in order to get it in the front door. My house is 100+ years old, so things like doorways and stairs are a little more narrow than you might find in a more modern house.

Now
that it's in the house, I have no way to get it into the basement where it belongs. The stairs are too narrow, and they turn 90s degrees halfway down. I have no idea how I'm going to do this.

The only thing that confuses me about this is that there's already a washer and dryer down there, not to mention a furnace that was only installed a few years ago! How did they get
[it] there? The house wasn't built around them!

This house is tricky. We had to dismantle the other stairway just to get our beds upstairs when we first moved in.

__________________
I am trekkiedane and I wholeheartedly agree with this post.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 07:41 PM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Getting it in the house

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I built homes with Habitat for Humanity in Oklahoma once, and was amazed that none of them even had basements! I couldn't wrap my head around that. Where are you supposed to take cover?!
I volunteered for them now and again when I was younger, and those Habitat homes were pretty bare bones. I don't doubt the need for one at all, but let's face it.. excavating a basement then building on top of it is a large expense.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 07:43 PM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Getting it in the house

R. Star wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I built homes with Habitat for Humanity in Oklahoma once, and was amazed that none of them even had basements! I couldn't wrap my head around that. Where are you supposed to take cover?!
I volunteered for them now and again when I was younger, and those Habitat homes were pretty bare bones. I don't doubt the need for one at all, but let's face it.. excavating a basement then building on top of it is a large expense.
All of the Habitat homes around here have basements. And the ones I built in New Orleans were on stilts! I just thought it was odd that Oklahoma, of all places, wouldn't put basements in their homes.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 12:53 PM   #24
mari
Captain
 
mari's Avatar
 
Re: Getting it in the house

R. Star wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I built homes with Habitat for Humanity in Oklahoma once, and was amazed that none of them even had basements! I couldn't wrap my head around that. Where are you supposed to take cover?!
I volunteered for them now and again when I was younger, and those Habitat homes were pretty bare bones. I don't doubt the need for one at all, but let's face it.. excavating a basement then building on top of it is a large expense.
Try excavating a basement out from under an existing house. By hand. The house still tilts a bit.

On the other hand, we did build an outside entrance while we were at it, so at least we can get new appliances in without too much trouble.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 06:26 PM   #25
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: Getting it in the house

Kinda OT but similar problem:

Where I used to work, there was repeated discussion over a number of years about my department being moved to another city. Serious enough that preliminary ideas and problems were being scouted, like electrical needs, temperature controls, size/weight of equipment. We were in the basement of a size able building, but next to the service tunnels. Of course, my labs were farthest from the tunnels, and had the biggest problem. Literally biggest.

We had a 25,000 pound single piece of honed granite that would have to be moved. My supervisor didn't realize this and asked if I knew how it had come in. The engineer who had retired years ago had told me: it was the first item in the department put into place, and then the walls between the tunnel and that room were built. It would have to be the last item removed, after the walls were taken down, being careful for high-pressure air lines hiding in the walls--that rock and its support system were actually designed to float on air!

The department remains in place.

Sometimes moving something is just too much trouble.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 02:35 AM   #26
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Getting it in the house

I feel the pain.. back in my 20s where helping friends move (and moving yourself) was happening at least twice a year lugging around heavy appliances like stoves, washers and such was the worst part (apart from overpacked book boxes.. paper can be so heavy!).

I had to do this twice for friends who lived in old houses, usually at a higher floor without an elevator of course.

Now that we are all in our thirties we just say fuck it and pay a moving company or the store to have it delivered and installed.
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 07:04 PM   #27
flandry84
Captain
 
flandry84's Avatar
 
Location: Sunshine cottage,Lollipop lane,Latveria
Re: Getting it in the house

ShamelessMcBundy wrote: View Post
Oh God, I thought you were talking about getting "it" in the house.
+1.Heh heh.
__________________
Bah!
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 01:19 AM   #28
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: Getting it in the house

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I bought a new dryer today and struggled to get it in the house. We had to take it out of the box in order to get it in the front door. My house is 100+ years old, so things like doorways and stairs are a little more narrow than you might find in a more modern house.

Now that it's in the house, I have no way to get it into the basement where it belongs. The stairs are too narrow, and they turn 90s degrees halfway down. I have no idea how I'm going to do this.

The only thing that confuses me about this is that there's already a washer and dryer down there, not to mention a furnace that was only installed a few years ago! How did they get there? The house wasn't built around them!

This house is tricky. We had to dismantle the other stairway just to get our beds upstairs when we first moved in.

I remember a similier situation with a huge Kenmore frig, I was 10 and my family and I where moving into a smaller house. I was the biggest out of 5 (but not the youngest) so I had to help him lift this huge thing onto the pattio fromt he moving truck and I just couldn't do it and I slipped leaving all the weight on my dad! When he finally wrestled the thing down he punched me so hard that I skidded across the lawn. This is know to this day in my family as "The Refrigerator Punch"!
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 03:06 AM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Getting it in the house

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I don't think I've ever even seen a basement that didn't have a ceiling.
OK, "no suspended or other finished ceiling"....smart-arse
Even then, I've never seen a basement that wasn't completely enclosed...because the rest of house sits on top of it.
I think you know what he means. You're in the basement, you look up, and you see no finished ceiling (suspended ceiling, drywall, whatever) but you see the floor of the first level including the joists.

As for the OP problem. Feh. Just move the laundry room upstairs.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 03:20 AM   #30
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Getting it in the house

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Damn it... I was going to say that
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.